You know there's something seriously wrong with FoI (especially tainted flames) when

Not at all. I was just being dramatic :stuck_out_tongue:
Nothing to apologize for!

I haven’t tested AAR much, so I can’t comment.

But it is similar on acid purge, and if you tap the hotkey quick enough, you can actually achieve the same effect with EoR.

It sounds like you’re saying that if I hold FoI on a target they will not take any DOT damage from FoI. Is that true, or am I misunderstanding?

Enemies will still take DoT damage, but the DoT flat damage is divided evenly for each second of duration, so 900 over 3s will result in 300 damage ticks. Basically in that case you get 300 damage, and the rest of the DoT duration is QoL for trash I guess.

1 Like

What plague mirth said.

FoI hits ~6 times a second @ 200% CS.

But the DoT will only be applied once a second.

Since most of FoI’s damage is actually found in its DoT, it seems almost paradoxical to make it a channelling skill.

It is for this very same reason why you don’t ever see DEE spam builds.

I’ve always found the DoTs on channeled skills puzzling. Are they for trash clear only? If so, why is Scion of Crimson Wakes a thing? It would be cool if DoTs from channeled skills would stack like BWC for bigger ticks (up to 1s worth of ticks maybe?). 6 ticks a second might even equal out to max cast speed BWC spam. That would necessitate the DoT damage get toned down though…

DoT on BWC spam does not stack <— EDIT: I’m fairly confident about this, because I was discussing this with superfluff and his BWC spam build the other day.

Only DoT from separate sources stack. IIRC, this will include things like multiple storm totems, though I’m not a 100% on this.

Ah. Corrected. I’m pretty sure I got the idea from somewhere on the forums though. RIP my old build bookmark library.

I was under that impression too, so it’s not just you :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose DoT is just there as auxillary damage? I’m not sure if you happened upon my barrelsmith purifier, but basically, it spams 26/16 grenado + canister bombs with 20/10 ulzuin chosen.

Sure, the DoT from 6 canister bombs thrown within 2 seconds don’t stack, but it does pretty significant damage when kiting.

The reason why you can get away with that, however, is because CB + grenado (while somewhat spammable), aren’t channelled skills.

You are free from that 0.3s CD penalty. (EDIT: to claritfy…you can’t get CC-locked like you can with FoI. This makes its hit-'n-run nature a lot smoother).

In addition, their DoT damage is high enough for it to be truly significant.

I saw your spec, and awesome job man. That type of purifer is actually my first delve into bomb-caster archetype characters:

With Canister Bomb, it actually feels like you’re stacking the first 1s of the DoT’s duration on each bomb cast because of the delay before the explosion. I hardly noticed the difference when I dropped grenado for just canister bomb though.

Ahh! I didn’t realize such a similar build had been done. I’ll credit you in my OP. Sorry 'bout that :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. This is what I’ve noticed about grenado and CB’s.

1. grenado - detonates half a second after landing. This means you can kinda bounce it off walls a little to get it around corners in some situations, or use it as a “landmine” of sorts.

2. CB - detonates immediately after landing, but there’s a slight delay before it detonates again. This means you can hit the same target twice with 1 bomb.

Point being, given the weird mechanics of these skills, I wouldn’t be surprised if what you’re saying is true.

Don’t worry about it dude. I’m actually one of the first people to like your spec. Nobody, least of all me, is gonna say you copied my homework :wink:

1 Like

Regardless, I’ve edited the guide to credit you

The canister bomb fragments also detonate in a staggered sequence, which might limit the number of fragments that shotgun but allow DoT stacking?

Feels weird with my cobbled together prototype that I didn’t really test thoroughly, but thanks! Thou art a scholar and a gentlefolk, Sir.

Anyhow, back on topic: Why not remove the cooldowns on ranged channeled skills entirely? It would be nice QoL and hardly game-breaking I’d imagine.

Good observation. While I’m not sure about DoT stacking, but I would imagine that it’s entirely possible for big targets like kuba and his fat hairy ass to get zapped by multiple CB’s.

Again, I can’t comment about AAR, which is something definitely worth considering.

However, as far as FoI goes, it’d be a start, but I don’t know if it’d be enough. FoI truly is a comedy of errors. Because the problem is so multivariable, it’s hard to say what will happen if one (or more) of these things are removed.

So, I just hopped on my mage hunter and did a side by side comparison with AAR for how each skill feels.

• AAR seems to have equal, or near-equal turn speed. I may have spent a few minutes doing pinwheels for science. (I demand the ability to channel FoI and EoR together for a spinning flamethrower pinwheeel of DOOM).

• Interestingly, AAR was able to make smoother turns, presumably due to longer range; both snapped backward periodically, but FoI did so more frequently. Maybe it has to do with mouse-controls (?). Toggling “classic casting” does nothing.

• I play on a laptop with runescape graphics, so take this next one with a grain of salt: FoI range seemed to match up with animation, though particle effects make a descending blur which might be a bit misleading. Also, while doing pinwheels I wasn’t able to reliably make FoI hit a dummy using the animations, which I could while spinning with AAR at the same cast speed.

• The animation for FoI also has slightly visible “segments” on very low graphics, so maybe it is treated as a projectile with it’s own flight speed (more akin to PB spam). If this is the case, speeding up the projectile would make it feel better to use. If this is not the case, and it is a static cone AOE, then I suggest adjusting the visual to match this by making the cone bend less.

3 Likes

Maybe its the tainted flames fx which is confusing? Or maybe I’m just blind. :stuck_out_tongue:
Woiuld you say theres a mismatch in the video I posted above?

I’m not sure if it’s a projectile, because of the following:

The lightning portion definitely confuses things a bit. For starters, even with the vanilla animation I still don’t really know how wide the angle of the cone is. 15-20 degrees?

I’m not entirely sure either, which is why I gave solutions for both. Either way this flamethrower needs more propellant.

Fuck that. This flamethrower needs more heat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please evolve my charmander to a freaking charizard.

1 Like

To Charmeleon, don’t get greedy :smile:

Strange. I don’t think that’s how you spell “dragonite”