[1.0.0.9] [Sorcerer] Callidor's Firestorm

Stats shown are with passives only

Grimtools

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVbnL3VJ

1.0.2.1 Fire/Burn/Aether Caster - http://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLJQw9N

This is what I predict will be this build’s update for now. This is not tested and as such, I have (likely) gone overkill on defense based on some experiences with the new AoM content (and playing the character pre-expansion) and will likely be toning it down a bit if I find it to be much.

I have also tried to put it together with a minimum of MIs or tough to acquire affixes so keep in mind that better boots and legs would improve things by a good amount.

Chthon’s Fire/Lightning Caster - http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7p5zvZ

This is an unoptimised and untested build for Fire/Lightning Callidor’s Tempest that makes use of Mythical Stormseer Sapphire and Cindertouch’s conversion.

This was put together by Chthon and added with his permission so all credit for it goes to him.

Build Concept

• So, the basic idea for this came when I realised that Callidor’s Tempest has a higher amount of base Fire than Aether, and with the Burn damage from the modifier, surely a character geared for Fire should be easy.
  • Well, a big issue is that almost every piece of gear that supports Callidor’s is mainly Aether or more Aether than Fire, flat Aether is everywhere and abundant.
  • Therefore, we use a pair of Invoker Burning Hands to convert around 30% of all Aether to Fire - that means Aether on skills and flat Aether damage now becomes an additional source of Fire to funnel through Callidor’s. Noticeably, this also converts some of the flat Aether already on Callidor’s to more Fire.
  • The conversion is a start but we need more. So, we stack flat fire from various sources to amplify Callidor’s fire damage potential. Flame Touched is a big and main source.

Resist Reduction

Resist reduction boils down to these sources:

Thermite Mine: -40% Fire Resistance.
Blackwater Cocktail (Eldritch Fire): -25 to all through Agonizing Flames. -20% Fire Resistance through Eldritch Fire.
Ulzuin’s Flame: -15% Fire Resistance.
Warpfire: -20% Fire and Aether.
Chaos Strike (Viper): 20% Reduced target’s Elemental Resistances through Viper applied at 100% potency.

Besides Viper’s reduction, This leaves us at -120% Fire Resistance and -45% Aether Resistance.

Abilities

Callidor’s Tempest: Our main single target and AoE.
Mirror of Ereoctes: Lifesaver and enables us to facetank for it’s duration.
Nullification: Removes enemy buffs and debuffs on you. Also lowers enemy Elemental Damage. Use it to strip enemy auras or get nasty DoTs or resist lowering debuffs off of you. It will make your life easier.
Blackwater Cocktail: Provides -18% physical damage taken in addition to it’s resist reduction.
Flashbang: Provides crowd control and reduction to enemy OA.
Thermite Mine: Debuffer via resist reduction.
Blast Shield: Damage absorber.
Chaos Strike: Used for entering and leaving melee range or crowds at will. Also procs Meteor Storm.

Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange: Source of +% Critical Damage.
Reckless Power: %pFire/Burn, Casting Speed, additional flat Fire through Aether conversion. All around good.
Maiven’s Sphere of Protection: Mainly for it’s modifier - Conversion. Provides a nice chunk of stun resistance to cap it off for us, some other nice resistances to crowd control effects like freeze or slow and a bit of damage absorption from the skill itself.
Flame Touched: Provides OA, flat Fire Damage and % Fire Damage.
Vindictive Flame: Provides some % Total Speed.
Void-Ward Aura: Provides needed Bleed/Chaos resistance.

Gear

Fire is the main focus here, while levelling Aether isn’t bad either. It isn’t a bad idea to look for health, DA or resists either to keep yourself alive.

There arn’t any important pieces that are crucial to the final build except perhaps Warpfire and the Peerless Eye and even then, only because they allow more points to be placed.

Attributes

This should be obvious. Enough points to equip the focus and the rest into Physique. The final build in the grimtools above has all points into Physqiue as our gear/devotion provides just enough.

Playstyle

Chaos Strike to start Meteors, throw out Flashbang and Cocktail for packs and heroes and spam Callidor’s. Use Thermite Mine and Chaos Strike as it’s on cooldown to speed up Hero or Boss kills and keep an eye on your health. Mirror if you drop low or alternatively, use it offensively.

Build Concepts/Extension

Some other similar ideas for Callidor’s builds will go into this section that might bare mentioning.

The original concept for this build was to use Temporal Tempest and the Aetherstorm Amulet to convert a significant portion of all Aether to Lightning and now, with the change in 1.0.1.0, a pair of Invoker’s Shocking Touch in addition to the aforementioned items will allow 100% Aether to Lightning.

Lightning goes well with Fire due to several resist reductions we use also effecting Lightning - Agonizing Flames, Thermite Mine, Ulzuin’s Flame all do. Throw in Arcane Bomb for another source and you could easily have resist reduction for Lightning on par with your Fire. Some of the problems i encountered planning this were that the build needs pretty good MIs to keep up with capping resistances and that i was point starved on devotions when it came to picking up constellations for offence and defence, in fact, i was exactly 5 points short. Maybe it’ll be worth coming to this idea at a later date…

Keeping in line the idea this build uses of using conversion and stacking flat damage to change and empower Callidor’s. There is also the possibility of using the Black Flame Mantle to convert a chunk of Aether to Chaos and the Blood Orb of Ch’thon to convert Callidor’s Fire to Chaos as well. Occultist also has a large amount of flat Chaos through Solael’s Witchfire, Possession, Storm Spirit’s Elemental (to my knowledge) can also be converted to Chaos and there is more to be found and converted on the Arcanist side through Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange and Fabric of Reality - plenty of opportunities. Though, you don’t gain much from the Burn on Inferno and i’de say it’s overall outclassed by Aether as 100% Chaos to Aether and 50% Elemental to Aether gets better returns. Gearing for Chaos damage also does not support Callidor’s very well, it may be mandatory to use a +5 Badge of Mastery for example to reach high levels of Callidor’s on a Chaos build.

Rashalga Kill

Nice concept. Agrivix set is so flashy:cool:

One idea though.

The power of transmuted CT comes from Inferno burn dmg. You can replace your current weapon with Warpfire for more RR and +skills and for %RR use viper. Are you using this build for crucible with that devotion setup? Whether crucible or vanilla you should consider meteors. Things will die much faster so you will receive much less damage.

Might be poor wording choice on my end but I’m using untransmuted CT :p.

As cute as the idea was of using converted Lightning, it probably is worth dropping the Dagger for a Warpfire and the Aetherstorm pieces for something else and ust going all in on Fire. Completely forgot about Warpfire’s resist reduction too.

I’ll have a look at moving devotion around to take Meteor Shower but a big thing is that it provides me with the health that I need. Early on, some prototypes had as low as 6 600 health before i moved things around like swapping in a Lifegiver’s Signet or taking the health nodes in Targo the Builder.

Normally sorc with CDR is fine by timing mirror and blast shield, especially in main campaign. But if you want more consistent defense it’s worth looking into Tree of life. for decent regen and the heal proc will occur often with your CDR. It’s what BWC sorc use in a more defensive setup.

Another thing is that transmuted CT will only heal you a little vs mobs with your life steal. Sorc needs “portable” healing power so I would consider trying judicator signets+ mark of divinity for the regen. Judicators also solve the %rr problem. You can replace an enchanted flint with a Rift stone for mobility and to fully apply the %RR too. Combined with tree of life or giant’s blood(also great with CDR) will give you surprising staying power. It’s what i did on my mortar trap/devastation sorc and this setup can face tank Sharz in main campaign (using giant’s blood for heal in devotions and also have meteor shower). It’s worth losing a bit of damage in return for the ability to feacetank or not kite too much.

Something like this? It definitely seems more tankier than what i’m rolling with currently and doesn’t look it’d lose too much power either. Tree is welcome as i’m occasionally having to chug Elixirs to keep up with energy.

Edit: This is with the MIs i have right now btw. I could probably look at getting a better set of Solael pants or something else.

Sure. looks great.:slight_smile:

If you need a look on how to get tankyness and meteors maybe thishelps.

Viper is there only for devotion sustain and OA. I also use Star pact instead of Reckless power for the huge CDR. This has a huge impact on Devastation, Giant’s blood, Blast shield and Mirror.

I’de never get MIs that good in my life :rolleyes:. Thanks for sharing the build and for the suggestions, making this character tankier is just what I needed.

Or this.

I know, Builds these days are a bit too reliant on mi’s. But the build i posted was intended for crucible. You don’t really need such good rolls for vanilla;)

Nice it’s about time someone posted this :stuck_out_tongue:

Fire/Lightning CT is pretty awesome but you need good MIs to completely sustain it
Like the chest piece i use is green, my rings are green. Go green :rolleyes:
Although besides greens my gearing is different as well. Might post it sometime before the xpac

I didn’t originally feel like posting it since I was unsure of the non- green gear performance and expected it to be Glass (which you confirmed)

Personally expansion needs to bring some more support for these builds

except superfluff convinced him to completely change his entire concept :frowning:
So looks like you will need to still post it.

When did that happen?

EDIT:

Damn it fluff

In this post, Superfluff convinced him to switch to Warpfire and get Judicator Signets. Which means he is going away from the fire/lightning concept that he originally had. And going to the more basic CT Sorc build.

I wouldn’t say basic CT. I haven’t seen many CT Sorcerers that abstain from essentials like the Arcane Shard (especially when it’s the last piece of the set) or Widow/Arcane Bomb with reason for instance :p.

But still, this build needs more defense and the Aetherstorm pieces arn’t adding a ton at the moment. I’de like to see how the changes work out.

Callidor’s is a hungry beast so revamping devotions for Tree of Life is also a boon.

Edit: Though, there’s a lot to move around and I don’t have the gear on hand so it’ll be awhile before i do get a hold of everything. Maybe I’ll find a way to make the original concept work as i’de want in that time :rolleyes:.

Din’t mean to:eek:.

I mean the aether to lightning part is a nice gimmick with little support from gear. I thought the overall identity of the build was focusing on the fire dmg part of CT and Devastation especially. Most people will equip Agrivix Shard and Decree of Aldritch and go full Aether or used to do Aether iskandra in the past. So i really don’t think this build is spoiled in any way.

Trust me I know, I Would love if their was more conversion choices in game and with better item support. Can’t wait for the expansion to see all the new choices Empowered Legendary’s bring.

[/li]
Welp, i need to think about gearing again :rolleyes:. Those rings look perfect for a build like this.

Between the old Aether to Lightning items and the Shocking Touch, builds can now reach 100% Aether to Lightning. Also interesting.

Cool my aether lightning sorcerer can reach 100% conversion as well

Guide has finally been updated and finished after quite a long time.

Big thanks to Superfluff for suggestions made in this topic and Chthon for giving me ideas/suggestions whilst i was working on the update.

Noteworthy changes are:

• Increase of around 250 DA than what I had planned initially. I went from a crit chance from Mad Queen of around 6% to 0.2% :rolleyes:.
  • Dropping Devastation altogether. This freed up mastery points to pick up Agonizing Flames and the extra mastery points were nice. Elemental Storm was dropped because of Agonizing Flames.
  • Replacing Ulzuin’s Pyroclasm with Iskandra’s Balance. Iskandra’s proc adds a nice chunk of Fire damage and % crit damage every now and then.
  • Dropping Tree of Life. Iskandra’s -% skill energy and a few other things cover for the energy regen Tree provided. Giant’s Blood helps to cover for the sustainability it provided. Instead, I took Fluff’s suggestion of going Meteors/Ulzuin’s Torch.
  • Dropped Mark of Divinity in favour of Mark of Fierce Resolve to help cap stun resistance and because it’s a good defensive medal.

Hey I love CT Sorcerers and you’re kind of the last guide that is almost up to date. Wondering if you plan any updates for Ashes of Malmouth, good job btw :smiley: