[1.0.5.1] S&B Cold Infiltrator - Rune of Hagarrd Frostburn Tank

I haven’t actually tried, I farmed up his full set on one of my other characters and haven’t been back since.

Hi there,
could you please tell me where does the frosty-spike effect on the ground come from? Is this some WPS or some item skill?

thanks in advance

You mean the big aoe of spikes that goes out in every direction? That is the core skill of the build, Rune of Hagarrad.

Hi there,
sorry for stupid question, just out of curiosity, is this build capable of killing Ravager/Mogdrogen?

I’ve never tried, but highly doubtful, you’d probably need a more specialized build for that.

This build probably can kill any Ravager. All you need is to time your heals, DA is enough to not be critted. Even my Aizarincu can do that, and it’s not DoT build. DoT builds have a general advantage on such battles, they can kite more.

From my thread:

Hi guys,
I just hit lvl 94 with this build, so I am ready to equip most of the end-game stuff, but I need some help with itemization and skills.

1. Since the Amarastas Blade Burts is our main damage skill together with RoH, what is the reasoning for not maxing it out? Is it the high energy cost of lvl 26 ABB that is not sustainable or?

2. I am generally not familiar with casters that much (my other 2 chars are ranged purifier and ultos conjurer), but I assume the sheet DPS is not the deciding factor when gearing? I assume the sheet DPS just affects only the ABB, but not RoH? So it is the RoH damage tooltip that is the most important (with other factors ofc like crit %, reduced CD to RoH, RR etc.)?

3. Do the RoH modifiers (like “add XX damage to RoH” from Mythical Crescent moon for example) affect the RoH tooltip DPS?

4. As for the itemization:

• Amulet: I dont have the Mageslayer protector, what would be a good alternative? Empowered essence of Beronath/Starfury Emerald maybe? Also, wouldnt technically Runebinders Gem be the BiS with the +damage and +crit to RoH?

• Weapons: I also dont have Mythical Crescent Moon, what would be a good alternative? What about Olexras Chill, Dreadweaver, Chillflame Evoker and Amarstan Crusher? Any particular reason to pick Beacon Of the Winter Veil over those?

• Rings: How would the Elemental balance rings work for this build? Also Mythical Reign of Ice and Fire seems rly good as well.

• Pants: Why Mageguard ones over Deathwhisper leggings?

• Gloves: Why Chilling Grip of Iceskorn Talons?

• Medal: What about Mark of the Dark Dreams or Undying Oath?

• Relic: Ignafars Combustion vs Nidalas Outbreak?

Sorry for longer post, I am just little bit puzzled about gearing this toon:)

1. It’s not a damage skill here, it’s a buff (Lethal Assault). You cast ABB, receive the buff from it and that’s all. No reasons to max it

2. Sheet DPS can be even zero, because you deal damage with Rune of Hagarrad. Its sheet damage is 0, because it’s actually a pseudo-pet that can’t be measured directly via stats pane.

3. As said above, it’s a pseudo-pet and its sheet damage is always 0. But in fact it does tremendous damage and modifiers are applied correctly.

4. Ptirodaktill had a RoH build too, but with full Runebinder set and 2x M. Crescent Moon. It works well.

Weapons: Beacon Of the Winter Veil is selected because of Frostburn duration bonus which is core of this build. Builds that aim for flat, not DoT damage should probably use other weapons. My Aizarincu, for example, uses 2x Chillflame Evoker. Ptiro’s infiltrator uses 2x Crescent Moon. Dreadweaver is not for this build, it’s most useful for cold Necromancer, like my Gin Yursis. Olexra’s and Amarasta’s - can’t say much about them, didn’t use these.

Rings: all proposed rings work well. Personally I use Alkamos legendary rings for Pierce->Cold conversion, Crabcakes uses Band of the Eternal Haunt for additional cold RR.

Gloves: Chilling Grip provides Pierce->Cold conversion too, and built-in Pierce damage of Rune gets converted into much more useful Cold, skyrocketing our damage.

Medal: any one can be used really, Crabcakes probably likes this one more because of circuit-breaker that can save your life.

Relic: no doubts, Ignaffars is best-in-slot, it gives additional 10% elemental RR, elemental damage, DA.

Thank you very much. I was talking about this RoH tooltip where we can see damage number https://imgur.com/a/lvlMfvU. Is this the number we are trying to improve essentially or its not “correct” number and the real one is hidden like you said?

Also, I get that the Lethal Assault proc is important, but considering the cooldown of RoH + arming time, wouldnt it be better to max ABB and do damage meanwhile rather than just waiting till RoH comes off cooldown? Especially since this doesnt seems like typical rune build when u lay rune and then just kite all the time (at least not judging from the OPs gameplay). Or is the damage from maxed out ABB just that low so its not worth putting points into it?

So about the weapons, since I only have Beacon but not Crescent Moon, what would be 2nd best choice here? Chillflame Evoker? Also, blue Alkamos rings usable here, or just purple?

Yes, in the skill tab it is shown correctly. However, you must know, partial conversions are not shown in skill tab, so you won’t see Pierce->Cold conversion, while it is actually applied.

Compared to RoH godlike damage (it can explode up to 2 million damage per rune), any skill points invested into ABB are waste of skill points, not worth it. It is better to support Rune somehow.

About the weapons - you can try as you like, builds are not carved in stone. Both Chillflame Evoker and Crescent Moon are great. Blue Alkamos rings can be used too, and they provide better OA bonuses, but violet ones are better due to conversion. You can also use Band of the Eternal Haunt for additional cold RR.

By partial conversion I assume you mean “XX% of piercing damage converted to cold damage”, for example? Question: If any item gives the conversion, lets say Hagarrad gloves give 25% pierce to cold, does this mean that 25% of ALL piercing damage you deal is converted to cold damage? So in theory, if you achieve 100% conversion from multiple items from pierce to cold, you wont deal any piercing damage and all will be converted to cold, right? But there is actual no way to see the conversion stats anywhere, so we have to count it manually, correct?

edit: So from the RoH tooltip, if it deals lets say 8K cold damage and 3K pierce damage, if we have overall 50% conversion from pierce to cold, then 1.5 K dps will remain pierce and the other 1.5 K dps will be cold, but before applying bonus % cold damage from all the gear we have?

Yes on all positions.
Mythical Silver Sentinel’s mask gives 25%, gloves give 25%, Alkamos violet rings give 2x15%. With good rolls you can achieve 90-95%. However, it is not displayed in the skill tab and we need to count it manually.

Full skill conversion, however, is displayed in skill tab. For example, Myth. Voidsteel Gauntlets, if you wear them, convert all physical damage on Cadence to Chaos, and it is displayed directly in skill tab.

Thanks. One more question. That RoH tooltip we can see, 8K+3K dps, this is just base damage that skill deals on lvl 26 BEFORE the % of cold damage is applied, right? So the real DPS will be that 8K multiplied by 2 000%, if we have overall 2 000% bonus to cold damage? Also, if an items gives 1 600 damage to RoH, its actually not displayed in the tooltip?

In-game tooltip displays damage After applying all % bonuses. If some item gives 1600 damage to RoH, it’s counted after % bonuses too. You can see it in grimtools, grimtools always displays added damage before % bonuses, and in fact Crescent moon adds 60 flat cold damage to Rune. It’s not displayed in the in-game tooltip but is displayed in grimtools.

But don’t be fooled with such low(?) damage. It is counted per projectile, and Hagarrad is a shotgun skill that can burst 10 projectiles into enemy’s belly.

Thank you very much man, this has been super helpful :slight_smile: I have ranged purifier and ultos conjurer and gearing them is just super straight forward, whereas those caster builds are a bit trickier.

Hope that helps :wink:

Btw completely off topic, but you seems like super knowledgeable guy, so Ill ask. If I browse forum and see all those “Stonehide w/e pants of Kings” that apparently almost everyone has, I assume its created in GDstash? Ive been trying to craft Stonehide Stoneplate Greaves of Kings and after prolly 10 000 tries orso, still no luck (I am save-scumming, there is no chance in hell I would acquire billions of gold for this). And this is craftable item, what is the actual chance to drop MI like this?

Boots like that are super rare, but not impossible to get. I spent about 2 weeks of save-scumming and crafting to get 5 pairs of boots: Stonehide, Thunderstruck … of Kings, of Survival, and Thunderstruck … of Arcane Winds. From that point, I use only that pairs if I need them =)

Other story on pants. The best place to get green pants is Gladiator crucible. I live in Crucible starting from New Year, and I have a huge collection of good rare pants of all sorts, so I just choose what I want.

So the chance to actually get “Stonehide w/e MI pants of Kings” is higher than the Stoneplate greaves for example? I mean its double rare affix, and maybe Ive been extremely unlucky, but didnt get one from around 10 000 tries, but is the chance to get double rare affix like that increased in Crucible?

Chances are covered in the depths of the game engine, but from my experience - everything is possible.