[1.1.1.1] KING OCTAVIUS (everything++)

There is :wink:

Here we go again. I just saw this thread. I just completed on Octo/Forcewave/Aegis build with no knowledge of this guy’s. Mine isnt as tweaked as this but I get the feeling Im gonna get slammed AGAIN with a nerf because of a mad scientist. Congrats to him for a godlike build. But if I get pounded down Im definitely waiting till development ends and I’ll be out till then. Skyrim time.

Great work, ya.

This whole warlord/octavius meta pisses me off a bit. So many cruel nerfs and after such a long testing period we have a class that has not one but TWO absolutely broken specs (second one is physical retaliation one) that can just shit on everything in this game disregarding any kind of obstacle/challenge.

Also, you can even make it tankier with Shattered Realm amulet (no idea why you are not using it btw, I don’t think you will lose too much on that Crucible timer if anything) to make it even more ridiculous for SR.

But ye, good thing all the Nex and Ortus builds got deleted as well as few Spellbinder specs.

Come on. We all know broken builds get nerfed. Let’s just have fun with this one till it joins the rank of NO and binder.

No, man, I am really salty that Soldier gets some broken new toys every patch and yet it’s the other class combos that are feeling the wrath of the nerf hammer. Octavius Tactician was already oupie in AoM, but this shit is an unprecedented level of brokeness. He is not even wearing Shattered Realm ward and he still facetanks everything including Celestials and unbuffed Crucible.

Have fun? k. Some invest a lot of time for a couple builds and want to leave it at that. I went over this in an infamous thread after the previous patch’s nerf’s. I just happened to build an Octo/Aegis/FW similar to this guy’s. Lucky me. I think the universe is trying to to tell me something…like wait another 7 years to get back into gaming again.

Shattered Realm Ward is not really better than Beronath. You lose a ton of flat OA and crit damage by not using Beronath, so you kill things slower. The build already goes basically full defensive, adding SR set amulet does nothing but make you kill slower and you are already tanky.

well, I know he is already ridiculously tanky and unkillable. But still, +3% to all max res and slow res is pretty huge. I guess if one wants to push ridiculously high Shards with it, he would use SR amulet over Peerless Eye.
Just shows how broken this set/class combo really is, he can afford to wear Peerless Eye and still faceroll everything.

Why the hell do people always think that OP builds always die when they are nerfed? If we base this on previous nerfs they’ll probably just lower the aegis mods and this will go from OP to very good. Is that even a bad thing?

You just hate soldier :stuck_out_tongue: i can understand that. Octavius by itself is already OP when you look at it in a vacuum. The problem with AoM Octavius is that it boosted a useless skill and a class without any physical business whatsoever so the resulting build wasn’t OP (I disagree with octavius tactician being OP. The cleartimes were too inconsistent tho it’s incredibly safe. That’s top tier but not old binder OP). Now, current octavius boosts a very good skill (Aegis) on class with physical RR (Oathkeeper), the power is a lot more apparent.

Because some people like to be overly dramatic. Expect Octavius Warlord to be nerfed further, because i don’t think today’s hotfix changes will be enough.

I’m not saying that it should be nerfed, just saying it will probably be.

That’s what we got. Could have been a lot worse.

I agree entirely. This is… just… the beginning!

A set this tanky should not also be this fast. Period. And let me tell you, it’s my main character and I love how stupidly good it is so please don’t suggest I simply want things nerfed I don’t like. I loved OP binders and I love OP Octavius. Between its tankiness and its dmg, I’d prefer only the dmg side toned down so it can be a super safe, stable build to clear challenge content but not nearly so quick.

Some people dont like their hard work F’d with. Some guy joked in this thread about nerfs comparing them to communism. “sorry dudes, cant have too much success here, let me just take some of that wealth away”. It gets tiresome…and it makes you unmotivated to put time into the game. But thats just me.

I actually completely agree with mad_lee - soldier’s are the most braindead class to pilot, and they have a lot going for them.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but at least the inquisitor required some level of piloting skill.

EDIT: As I’ve said over and over again - it’s not the octavius set. It’s fucking aegis. Wtf kind of skill nukes shit for 445% WD, bounces around the place, applies THE best damage type in the game (i.e. IT) to each and every target it touches, and has a CD which is essentially negligible half the time.

2nd EDIT: I was the guy who made the joke about communism. But nerfing aegis (not the set) ISN’T akin to what communism does. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

So did pets!

Throws dead Birbs at everyone

Octavius … Hard Work.

:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure if Octavius cleared things 25-33% slower but was just as tanky as it is now, it wouldn’t suddenly be classified as unsuccessful.

Try to understand that if the top few builds look like this
but an outlier appears that looks like this

It makes everything else in the game look like shit. Some players may not care but for others that care about build crafting, it makes the effort put into making other builds feel more useless because you might as well just play the obvious king by miles build.

I mean we can agree to disagree on the philosophy of balancing these types of games if you like, but what is fact is that this game has a precedent of receiving balance adjustment after balance adjustment, so it’s not like people can’t know what they’re getting themselves into when they invest so much into one particular build…

Exactly what doom said.

The reason why I specifically promised myself to never touch the octavius set was because I DON’T want more people than there already are flocking to the octavian warlord.

I want to prove that other sets/skills can be at LEAST somewhat competitive despite the shield based meta.

Hence my whole push for the buff to RoH - a buff which we now know will never see the light of day.

The one skill IMO which could potentially rival aegis has been shot in the head.

EDIT: I also want to mention that MARKOVIAN BLITZ cannot hope to compete with a 26/16 aegis with ZERO skill modifiers.

So when Spellbinders or Nex and Ortus Tricksters/Infiltrators were destroying Crucible and everyone was butthurt it wasn’t overdramatization. And those builds got nothing on Octavius Warlord. Like really. Outside of 3 buffs + Banner compact Crucible environment they weren’t that broken. And I bet a lot of them would’ve just crumbled in Shattered Realm.

I drop some salty tears over a set that allows you to kill all celestials without potions, clear Crucible 150-170 naked in 9 minutes risk free and also rival fastest damage builds in Crucible bannered runs, but wait, that’s not it, it casually does SR 88 when most builds can barely scrape past 65. That’s overdramatization. For sure.

I love balance in Grim Dawn above all, but somehow when it comes to everything Soldier it’s suddenly double standards and everything is allowed.

I can’t speak to how OP the current Oct/Pummeler Warlord is, because I have never played OP characters. But I think we can all agree that the correct course of action would be to make Octavius in line with other top builds in the game. If they nerf the set into uselessness, reasonable people would be right to be upset. But if the nerfs are well considered, and a character in full Octavius and a Pummeler is still very, very strong, all will be well.

The truth is that the best thing for the game would be to have many, many builds that are competitive in regards to “end game.” And any changes that happen in the first few weeks/months of the expansion will be long forgotten soon enough. I don’t think the devs should spend time making everything within 5% of everything else. This isn’t a competitive game and homogeneity would be boring. Just make sure there are no ridiculous outliers.

Edit: Honestly, this build is fun as hell to play, and it would be a shame if it gets nerfed to oblivion. But I don’t necessarily think we should expect that result.

Are the rest of us plebs allowed to have any fun with this game or is that just reserved for the people with 50+ characters all using GDstash to cheat them to 100 with full, perfect gear?

I’ve been working on a Warlord since FG launched, having seen a little bit of how well Octavius was doing. No guides had been posted yet or anything. Tonight just as I’m about to hit 94 and start plugging in gear, trading for the literal last item I’d been eyeing the hotfix hit and some nerfs rolled in. Found this thread and saw the endless whining about Octavius.

Bottom line, get some perspective. Not all of us are cheating, not all of us can play this game 24/7. It’s a serious investment to get a character built up and just for ONCE I thought I might have a character that could kill a Celestial solo and you guys are hellbent on piledriving it into the ground.

Get over yourselves, if you don’t like soldier then don’t bloody play soldier.