[1.1.1.1] KING OCTAVIUS (everything++)

The. Octavius. Set. Can. Still. Kill. A. Celestial. Solo. Even. If. It. Was. Nerfed. Twice. As. Hard.

Ive been out of gaming since D2 went offline. I bought GD 4 months ago. I forgot about nerfs and buffs and all that. Im just coming from a casual, common sense viewpointā€¦let people have their damn builds with the tools and rules of the game they were given. But there are serious players who have concerns I just dont understand. As far as I know there are no GD tournaments for real money or competitions. If a build were Godlike Iā€™d still get tired of it. Iā€™d still make something else because it keeps things interestingā€¦and amusing. Thats the keyā€¦I want to laugh while doing damage so Im gonna try different builds. The thing is it takes me forever to collect gear ( sets) and other legendaries. After 4 months I found the conduit of warring whispers. I didnt know I would need it a few weeks ago but stillā€¦It takes a long time to collect items. The Octavius shouldersā€¦same thingā€¦that last piece to complete the set took 4 months of playing the game. I find all my stuff myself ( well 90%ā€¦I have a GOG friend who has given me a few items recently). I guess there are ways for people to make their own or buy them idkā€¦

But if its like you said and its like an like an F-35 taking out a ground squirrel it should be fixed. Im just not motivated to play when my character isnt 100% controlled by me. But oh well, the only solution is to wait for development to end. I had my other Lvl 100 characters ( grand total of 2) get nerfed with the last patch and now Im obviously going to get it again. So yeah, Im overjoyed. Its not going to be a disaster I knowā€¦Just venting. Thereā€™s always Skyrim :slight_smile:

Firstly, I just want to say Iā€™m sorry. I can understand how frustrated you must feel. I played legit for the longest time.

But these itemsā€¦they are meant to be rare. Itā€™s supposed to take you ages to find them.

Secondly, if that aspect of the game bothers you so much, thereā€™s always GDstash.

But I donā€™t think itā€™s fair for anyone (and Iā€™m not implying you per se) to WANT to play self-found while simultaneously demanding that the rules of probability kowtow to their whims and fancies.

No worriesā€¦appreciate the sentiment. Most people in gaming forums are living in a different world than me. I follow guides and try different twists with them if I can. The math and mad scientist tweaking is beyond my gaming scope at this stage so when someone sticks their hand in my cookie jar my instinct is to slam the cap on their fingers.

Btw here is my build.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1MxMDV

I never saw this King Octavius thread before today. None in the theory crafting thread before FG came out was interested in a 1H FW build that I saw. So I come across this guy using the Pummeler like me and the thread is all about nerfing a build that looks 80% like mineā€¦LOL FMR

Again I see people talking past each other in this thread. It doesnā€™t seem like the hotfix nerfs make Octavius less than extremely powerful. Maybe itā€™s not godking of the universe anymore. But if it can do 170 gladiator, get through floor 80 in SR, and kill all the Celestials, all at least as well as any other build, isnā€™t that enough?

I personally completed my first ever set in this game last week, and it happens to be Octavius. If the build gets destroyed by nerfs, I will definitely be pissed. But if itā€™s still super strong, as it should be given the rarity of the gear involved, I canā€™t really complain. And quite frankly, I donā€™t want any build to be head and shoulders above everything else.

The only one who has a chip on their shoulder so far seems to be youā€¦ Half my characters are cheated but half are 100% legit run from lvl 1-100. I tested the build, it still kills Celestials solo no problem. I killed Callagadra with a friggen dual wield melee build with only 1 green item (boots, not even double rare). 2 of the celestials are vulnerable to any form of kiting whatsoever. And as spanks pointed out, even if you nerfed Octaviuā€™s dmg twice as much as the current nerf itā€™d still kill all the celestials, just slower.

Why donā€™t you kindly you stop making accusations at peopleā€™s methods just because they disagree with you? You should realize that plenty of non GD-stashing people will also take the other side yes? I think Iā€™ll do a youtube series on gearing up a first character just to have a base-line once and for all on how hard it really is.

Now more than ever with the ability to transmute set pieces is it easy to finish a set and start farming for your other characters. Nobody wants it pile-driven into the ground. In fact most of us want it to keep its robust tankiness and survivability and just get the dmg side toned downā€¦ meaning itā€™ll still clear all the same content just slower.

Finally most of us also share the opinion that obvious synergetic class combos (OK + soldier go hand and hand) should be top performers. Youā€™re complaining because some people argue that one of the safest and easiest builds in the game shouldnā€™t also deal top tier damageā€¦

I have a few friends who literally only play 100% self-found and they feel the same way about Octavius. Everyone who disagrees with you isnā€™t a snake. And for the record since release Iā€™ve gone self-found since the drop rates are so generous and whatnot, starting in elite, and itā€™s been a friggen blast.

It is like that yes. And I think thatā€™s a weird thought because by your line of thinking your character was never 100% controlled by you if nerfs ā€œtake away control.ā€ Because then the balance from the beginning ā€œcontrolledā€ your character. Youā€™re still the player manā€¦ The devs just want to make the end-game doesnā€™t feel silly in its outliers. Outliers are fun but extreme outliers just look like poor design.

My frustration is that some players seem so focused with maintaining the ā€œpowerā€ of a build that they forget that thereā€™s more to a buildā€™s performance than just its damage output. The idea of letting some squishier builds do better damage and tankier builds do worse dmg is an age-old RPG balance feature but itā€™s good for a reason: It lets playstyles exist. Without certain trade-offs you get a mindless build. Octavius is still that-post nerf (I just tested) but at least now its speed is a LITTLE fairer.

To put it another way, you say you donā€™t understand because thereā€™s no competition. Then tell me why the devs have cared since the beginning? I donā€™t see the logic to say balance doesnā€™t matter because itā€™s singleplayer. So thereā€™s no way to design a shitty singleplayer experience? Why balance anything at all? Then why not let one build be 10000% better than the rest? Iā€™m not putting words in your mouth because I acknowledge you said it should be fixed if itā€™s like a F-35 vs. a squirrel. What Iā€™m arguing is that there are reasons to tone things even when its not as extreme as that, simply because itā€™s good game design. Thereā€™s a range of performance possible for builds, and if you have stuff appearing on the extreme edges it makes everything in the middle look bad by comparison, and people playing thru ultimate tend to want to make multiple good characters.

The game is already easier than it was initially intended to be, way back when. Thatā€™s fine. In fact I think itā€™s pretty fun in the current direction and I think most of the nerfs weā€™ve been getting have been good for the game and made it more fun.

I think itā€™s safe to assume if you roll Octavius,youā€™ll never be disappointed.It was probably the best physical build pre FG as Tactician and Inquisitor donā€™t have that RR and shield support and Aegis.If you play 100% legit and this is your only character is always gonna be good,the thing is right now seems unrealistic op,thatā€™s the problem,hence the minor nerf.

of level 100 characters I have atm: 110

Me and the other guy with the chip on his shoulderā€¦at least 4 for sure.

90% of the gear collected over weeks of playing found naturally by doing runs the old fashioned way. We have a right to be a little upset. So GD Stash is the dark side I take it? To me if youā€™re creating items out of nothing the game means nothing. Youā€™re involved in nothing less than psychological gymnastics, never ending theory and a joyless process. Thats my opinion on that. People get off in different ways so I do respect that. People can do what they want. I dont care. The devs want to change the rules every few weeks or months then I can play other games. Yeah, I paid the money and I want 100% control of my characterā€¦But that will only happen after development stops.

Anywayā€¦the build wont be a dog after the changes. its just going to be weakerā€¦and isnt that greeeeattt. As Lumberg would say. Lol

I mean, being a show off is not actually having a chip on oneā€™s shoulder. And if you cared to know me better you learn thereā€™s actually an even more mischievous reason why my signature is as it is, itā€™s not what you think (but probably not much better anyway hahaha).

ā€œTo have a chip on oneā€™s shoulder refers to the act of holding a grudge or grievance that readily provokes disputation. It can also mean a person thinking too much of oneself (often without the credentials) or feeling entitled.ā€ So no, I donā€™t have one. More casual gamers insulting and accusing more hardcore gamers seems to fit the definition better :/.

You also seem to have skimmed the part where I have done a LOT of ā€œplaying found naturally by doing runs the old fashioned way.ā€ I still do. I separate my cheatsy chars from my non cheatsy chars. And for my first thousands of hours I played normal and even avoided using xp potions when those came out. I donā€™t really enjoy twinking out lowbie characters anymore. If Iā€™m going to level a character I like to feel its own merits and flaws on the way up.

One can legitimately level to 100 solo in 7 hours from elite with potions of clarity and lokarrā€™s set. Without them, a few hours longer. As I said Iā€™ll probably try out one of the beginner builds some other members have kindly posted and see how fast they can gear up and start farming for future characters. Youā€™re entitled to your opinion and feeling however you want. I donā€™t take issue with that you dislike the nerfs, I take issue with the attitude that I see coming with it.

I GDStash some characters just so I can see what theyā€™re like at the end-game. Sometimes I do it to test things. Sometimes I even delete those characters and build them from scratch the normal way if Iā€™m super charmed.

You see, the thing here is I completely understand that while I donā€™t get attached to any particular character, others do. And thus getting their characterā€™s power level toned down is not a good feeling. I just think the lack of understanding of why itā€™s done and the bad attitude that seems to come with it is what I take issue with.

Even Diablo 2 had balance changes in patches. This sort of stuff is just standard for this genre of game.

As for ā€œAnywayā€¦the build wont be a dog after the changes. its just going to be weakerā€¦and isnt that greeeeattt.ā€

Thatā€™s a relative perspective. For you itā€™s weaker, for me itā€™s just no longer extremely strong and instead just very strong. I have 2 Octavius characters, theyā€™re still top tier and would be for doing challenge content even if they did a good deal less dmgā€¦ I feel like some of my stronger points are being conveniently ignoredā€¦

Its all good. I just cant stand it when people make excuses for taking it on the chin. ā€œThank you sir, may I have anotherā€. My other 2 characters didnt get destroyed but they did lose their luster a bitā€¦and I like my things I spent time on shiny. Anyway, we kinda hi-jacked this guys build thread. I had to comment because i saidā€¦Omgā€¦thats my buildā€¦and everyone is calling for it to be banishedā€¦lol. Have a great nightā€¦time to actually play.

Sounds good. I never meant to dismiss the fact that you care (I hate when people dismiss what other people care about actually) or imply that you shouldnā€™t. hit me up on steam if you ever want to co-op.

Soldier give defensive properties to shield build and oathkeeper gives offensive one. So warlord should obviously be the most synergistic oathkeeper class.

The one that I donā€™t understand is, how can this passed from playtesting phases? Octavius warlord is like one of the most obvious build. All of the item selection is quite obvious, ya did a great job on Min maxing the devo and skill setup though.

Being super damaging while being untouchable even from celestials should not be allowed. Especially when only minimal skill is needed.

Next patch should do something about aegis damage and overguard imo.

Just donā€™t patch Grim Dawn? Stay in 1.1.1.1 forever

(there were patches in D2 too you know, back in the days. I think you got lazy and lost perspectives)

Mate - you arent alone. Its just that ther rest of us are keeping silent as every time we raise voice are stomped to the ground by the ā€œyes sir`sā€ with cheated chars.
Things wont change - best way to approach patches is to turn off auto-update and wait some time after a patch to see how it affects your chars - that is what i do.
Peace.

Yeah, I just canā€™t understand people here crying for nerfs all the time. Itā€™s actually worse than in PoE which is beyoned me, where it actually took out a lot of fun and variations of builds because of that throughout years.

Letā€™s be honest, this game is purely offline for single player experience, there are no leagues/seasons where you can compete with somebody with trade market reset each league/season. Whatā€™s the reason then for such amount of people crying for nerfs here? I just donā€™t understand, everyone is playing just for fun as single player game, who gives a fā€¦ then.

Iā€™m not even mentioning I need to play a year to get set items because there are so many sets/legendaries in the game, and you donā€™t have any sort of ā€œsmartā€ drop where itā€™s more likely you will drop items with bonuses to your chosen masteries.

Lastly, ppl who cry for nerfs are anyway using GDstash and they insert whatever item they want to their inventory, you should better call nerf GDstash than the game itself.

Yeah, lets nerf everything, nb will play gd anymore, why bother if apart from single player experience (which will be boring and shallow then) it does not offer any other single thing like modern arpgs with multiplayer platform and real competition.

Why would anyone wants a build to be nerfed/balanced in a game with no PVP nor ladder.

I mean what what will that benefit anyone?

I was playing a pet build that used familiar as a main source of damage which wasnā€™t the fastest clear speed ā€œas per usual for any pet build in any Arpgā€ and now the damn thing dies too quickly making it even more slow.
What did any one who didnā€™t play pet build gain?

Thank you for build OP.

I canā€™t evenā€¦what?

Look. MODS exist which allow you to do EXACTLY what you want - i.e. play with broken af items.

But for the rest of us, balance is necessary to the health of both the game and the community.

1. What is it important for the game?
    GD is about making difficult decisions - do I want A? or B? This is only possible if things are equally competitive. Furthermore, without balance, there would be no replayability to the damn game. If a a certain class/item is a MILLION times better than everything else, what incentive would you have to create a new character to experience GD again?

Please look beyond your selfish wants.

1. Why is it important to the community?
    Itā€™s important to the community because these balances create build diversity. If all sets were optimized to the point where they were all equally viable in the end game (a thing which, in all fairness, crate does a damn good job at doing), then the crafting community will be able to churn out cool/crazy ideas for everyone elseā€™s benefit.

It also fosters us to have discussions about mechanics. I.e. we do not just talk about the mechanics of shields/IT damage/soldiers/etc.

Take away build diversity, and you lose the activeness of this community

Pets are serious business, yo!

He is talking about my Familiars :stuck_out_tongue:

Nerfs is the first thing that takes away build diversity.

Iā€™m not selfish i just love having fun.
You donā€™t like fun that your choice but donā€™t take it on the rest of us.

So we have a build that is absolute bonkers. There is NO reason playing anything else if you are interested in pushing numbers and times.

How is nerfs gonna take away build diversity? :rolleyes: