[1.1.1.2-1.1.6.2] Beginner's vitality Ravenous Earth Oppressor with leveling guide

GT link under Dark One Cabalist is wrong?

1 Like

Thanks,it should work now.

Stupid me,always click the GT link,instead of generating new.

Glad Iā€™m not the only one who does that. :rofl: Always have to remind myself to get the right one.

Yes,occasionally do that,is good to remind me if I am mistaken.

Often I watch my own GT link in another browser tabā€¦ then I complain ā€œdude your build sucksā€ then I realized I was watching my own stuff and not the GT link I was asked to look at :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @Nery! I just wanted to thank you for the guide and ask a question regarding a potential off-hand. I recently transitioned from @malawiglennā€™s beginner RE Cabalist build (great guide and build as well, cheers Glenn) into your Cabalist version with Dark Oneā€™s set. As I was farming for various blueprints and mats I happened upon the bp for this juicy orb. Wondering what your thoughts on using it are instead of Word of Solael? The acid->vitality conversion seems pretty strong!

Thanks again for all your work on the guide!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum!

As you can imagine there are multiple legendary off hands that are better than faction gear.

I think Blood orb of Chton is good, Valguur focus, too. Also Mythical Contagion is interesting choice, since it have RR proc.

@LightDawnsOnGrimDays yeah that is one of the best off-hands for this kinda build. I personally like the Valguur off-hand Valguurā€™s Focus
Welcome to the forum and I am glad you find the guide useful :slight_smile:

@Nery @malawiglenn Thanks for the replies gentlemen! Currently trying out the Blood Orb now, lost some OA but gained a whole ton of damage. Still hovering around 3k total OA though so I think Iā€™ll be okay. Going to run some Edge of Reality and SoT to test. I will definitely keep on the lookout for the Valguur Focus and Mythical Contagion as they both look promising. Especially the aforementioned RR proc on Contagion and the bonuses to SS and SoC on Valguurā€™s (Iā€™m using a ring with a SoC proc on attack that has proven to be a nice addition to my already prodigious HP sustain).

Appreciate the guidance and the warm welcomes! I am a long time ARPG vet who recently picked up Grim Dawn after my total logged hours in PoE ticked past 2700 and I felt I needed a change of pace from the zoom-zoom meta. Absolutely fallen in love with the game thus far. Feels like Iā€™m back in the D2 days in many respects. I can actually take the time to stop and smell the (rotting?) roses. :smile:

1 Like

Hey I am currently trying this beginner build as i am only 60 hours into the game :slight_smile: Can someone explain what it is the oathkeper does to the necromancers skills or the other way around? Is there a synergi between them or is it necro damage and oathkeper staying alive?

Thanks

According to my material in guide section, synergy is common damage or resist reduction by both classes. Both classes have vitality damage and RR.

Like most of the builds thereā€™s leading and supporting class. Main here is Necro. Build uses Ravenous earth as main attack. Oathkeeper provides excellent defense from Ascension, but best part is the cool down reduction from Path of three. Cooldown works both with spells and devotions. That makes Oathkeeper desirable second class, but Occultist is fine too.

PS, welcome to the forum!

Complete beginner hereā€¦Iā€™m working my way through this build guide as my first ever Grim Dawn character and it is going very well (I probably have 5,000 hours of my life devoted to Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, POE, Guild Wars, Torchlight etc, so Iā€™m only a newbie to Grim Dawn not the genre). I think there may be a typo in the devotion area though, it is minor and I think MOST would figure it outā€¦but the order listed is impossible. If you take Rattosh before Sailorā€™s guide as listed you donā€™t have enough blue affinity to take Rattosh. If you just swap those two it works perfectly.

Thank you for the guide, after this I will follow a melee guide and then probably just go off on my own but having a little hand holding has allowed me to skip to harder difficulty faster (Iā€™m level 45 and mid act 2 Elite right now). I came here directly from POE and the concept of a build guide is VERY different but its because Grim Dawn encourages exploration so much more even in the creation of a build. Only thing I wish it did was have a ā€œstat sheetā€ where you could see the total sum of your equipment beyond what the level page lists (like total increased damage in a particular area). Iā€™m sure there is a mod to do something like that, but I havenā€™t installed any mods yetā€¦trying to experience it Crate style first.

1 Like

@Jdevers77 , thanks for your feedback!

Youā€™re real veteran in RPG games. But GD still provides unique features like dual class system. One difference compared to Diablo II for example is in Grim dawn most of the time you need to focus on single damage type.

I need to tell you that 45 is to low level for elite. You might reach point at which you will struggle. I usually switch from normal to elite in 60-65, cause at the time legendary items start to drop and also faction gear.

I switched to elite because I beat everything on veteran before. I guess I could have farmed out more levels but elite certainly feels better than veteran did. I have definitely died a few times as I underestimate opponents and my resists still arenā€™t great, but thatā€™s why Iā€™m playing softcore. Iā€™m very excited to play GD because of the things you listed. I chose this route to specifically go the opposite of POE where the clear speed meta has totally taken over and if you arenā€™t killed atleast 1-2 screens away from you it isnā€™t fast enough. I WANT an enemy to have to take a beating before it dies. Iā€™m playing in a party of three with a dervish and blademaster as well, so of course that helps.

I didnā€™t list this earlier because I forgot, but I think before you take vulture you have to take red not yellow. Your grim tools links are all correct, just the text is wrong. Iā€™m not trying to nitpick, but the guide is great and is a good tool for newbies who might get stuck on things like that.

@Jdevers77 ,now am on the phone, but will eventually revised devotions to see if I screwed the order.

I havenā€™t play PoE, but I think GD is different game. You play at your own pace and you set yourself what goals to accomplished.

Multiplayer is certainly easier than single player game. I managed to do full 1-100 leveling without single death, so this guide should help new players reach max level.

Seems that Iā€™m not the only one ā€œPoEā€™s refugeeā€ in this thread :slight_smile:

First of all, thanks a lot for the detailed guide! As you may guess by first statement, Iā€™m completely new in this game, started my journey like 1 week ago, bricked one character and here Iā€™m playing your build.

Iā€™ve one question tho. I started Ultimate at 59 lvl and I was in shock I could play there comfortably without any choke moments. In this guide, you move to next difficulty relatively late (70 lvl elite, 84 lvl ultimate) and Iā€™d like to know why.

This is my character: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRQYA4V. At level 65 Iā€™ll have all base resistance capped (Poison & Acid at 90%), Bleeding and Vitality almost capped, about 30% Aether resistance. Letā€™s not talk about Chaos resistance please :slight_smile:

My plan is to rush campaign on Ultimate to get revered rep asap. I donā€™t have another character on this level so Iā€™m unable to buy 150% boost :frowning:. Could you tell me if that is the correct thing to do now or should I just level on lower difficulties?

Thanks a lot for the help!

@Xenhil , welcome to the forum!

I personally prefer to play until higher level, before I switch. There was decreased difference between difficulties in latest patch. When I made the build normal was piece of cake. And I prefer comfort and unpressured leveling. Not that this build or my experience canā€™t carry me with ease.

Second advantage is that you can gear yourself better, before switching difficulties. But with 58 on Ultimate, you may reach struggle point.

About resistances, itā€™s contextual. In some areas you need specific resistances. In order not to get in crisis situation, itā€™s good to have them all caped. At level 70 you can use armor augments, which helps a great deal.

1 Like

Damn @Nery you have collected quite a few PoE fugitives in here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I offer with this build asylum from mega fast play style :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, itā€™s me again :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got one question about gear. Thereā€™s no way to obtain Rimeguard Chausses, Benevald sells like ~140 of various blueprints (and sometimes he sells nothing) so after some time of resetting vendors I gave up. Is there any item that can be a temporary substitution to these pants?