[1.1.3.0] The Dragon General - Stoneguard Based, DW WPS Hybrid Physical Retal Oppressor

The Build

5k)_crop
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EbJjmV
With all permanent buff + Ascension, Soul Harvest, Hungering Void, Ulzaad’s Decree, and RF charges.
DPS shown is Righteous Fervor.

Build Feature

Upside:

• Relax and fast cruci farming
  • Fluid Gameplay
  • Technically 2 button build
  • 6.5k motherfucking armor with >>200k DPS sheet

Downside:

• Oppressor means only decent CC res if Ascension is inactive
  • Hard to get a good res overcap
  • Can be boring sometimes
Build Overview

Finally posting builds again. Damn this forum is complicated. And why the hell that all the code for formatting the text is not there? And why the hell that there is no advance view for posting or editing a post?

Well, ranting aside. Retal is back! No shield, no soldier, but oppressor and dual wield! This is a concept that I always wanted to realize from the start. Finally got a right formula and worthy to be posted.

This build is basically a pure Righteous Fervor Auto-attacking build, supported by 87% WPS and 21% Retal added to attack from stoneguard set. As oppressor, retal value will not be as monstrous as Warlord, so I ditch the shield and going into DW by using the almighty beronath sword for converting elemental and chaos to physical. Then I push RF skill node to 25/16 and retribution to 22/12. Effective Attack Speed is 185% (195% with dying god), making the build as fluid as possible as autoattacker.

The tricky part here is we are looking to balance the retal and phys flat damage / % damage here. Thus planning the itemization and devotion were interesting. Current itemization produce a good balance in retal, phys damage, OA and DA. The last part is especially hard as it is an oppressor and phys damage type is always hungry in OA.

Planning devotion is quite hard as I am not really fond of pure physical devo. Going to that route will make it really hard to get a decent OA, thus I am going to blue route with Revenant and Dying God. Current setup is giving me a massive -138 phys RR. This is also to compensate for the lack of %phys damage oppressor has. Also it is quite synergistic as Dying god Chaos retal got converted to phys. Though I really hate that terrify retal from DG.

On to other problems: additional damage sources. It is especially hard in retal/phys build that is not soldier. I have tested guardian’s gaze and flame torrent. Flame torrent got on top and surprisingly very good when converted to pure phys. Itemization is used to for stats, +skills, and res. There is no room for damaging procs.

On defense, Stoneguard + Stonetreaders are always amazing. Maximum armor of 6.5k is achieved when all procs active. Don’t forget flat absorb from stoneguard amulet and prismatic diamond proc. Other defense mechanisms are standard: good lifesteal with 14% ADCTH + 195% AS, ghoul procs, decent serenity procs, decent dawnshard reduced damage proc, also decent resilience procs.

Equipment Choices

Craft equipment at Arngrim for +% armor or +% physique.

Core Items:
Stoneguard Set [put the mace to main hand]
Helm: Callagadra’s Visage. [Best helm bar none for hybrid phys]
Chest: Mythical Dread Armor of Azragor. [Provide the best balance for hybrid phys+retal]
Off Hand: Mythical Beronath, Reforged. [build defining item, converting all elemental and chaos to physical]
Medal: Mythical Direwolf Crest. [Either this or korvaak medal. As I really starved on OA, I choose direwolf eventually.]

Supporting Items:
Shoulder: Mythical Dawnshards Pauldrons. [+ to necrotic edge, good massive aether res, giving retal damage and % retal, giving decent 10% reduced target’s damage]
Gloves: Mythical Runesinged Handguards. [Good stats, good res, +RF]
Pants: Mythical Thornhide Legguards. [Either this or barbaros. I choose this thornhide eventually for retal balance.]
Boots: Mythical Stonetreaders. [Love this build, I wear it everywhere I could.]
Rings: 2x Mythical Ring of the Black Matriarch. [Either this or judicator set. 2x black matriarch proof to be better as this allow me to hardcap RF and giving additional phys RR and %phys damage.]
Relic: Serenity. [I want to use honor but the res and DA would not let me do it.]
Movement Rune: Use whatever you like. I use rune of displacement currently.

Devotions

Current best

Flame Torrent > to Righteous Fervor
Ulzaad’s Decree > to Necrotic Edge
Hungering Void > to Smite
Assassin’s Mark > to Summon Guardian of Empyrion
Raise the Dead > to Bone Harvest
Messenger of War > to Whatever permanent buff
Ghoulish Hunger> to Whatever permanent buff

Gameplay

Keybind:
LMB: Righteous Fervor
Middle mouse button: Mark of Torment
Keyboard 1: Movement Rune
Keyboard 2: Bone Harvest
Keyboard 3: Ascension

Standard procedure:
Cast Bone Harvest to trigger raise the dead, summoning multiple skeletons. Always cast this to summon more skeletons.
Movement rune in.
Just hold your left mouse button for the rest

Cast Mark of torment for dealing multiple nemesis + anasteria or korvaak (if needed), also when Madqueen red aura is up.

Build Performance

Crucible:
For 170 Crucible, video with 4 buff without banner:

7:25 clear time. This is the average, the fastest will be about 7:10. I tweaked the build a bit after making this video though. Should be a bit faster / more consistent but will not be that much difference.

I have tried with banner and the fastest I got is 6:30. Should be able to go faster though. Will posting banner run after I’ve got comfortable in each run.

Shattered Realm:
Will be check later. Should be good, but will need hoarfrost potion to deal with moonsilauke smoothly as it is hard to get a decent CC res in oppressor.

My first Build for the new forum. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Looks nice! Finally about time that someone else did a DW retal/melee hybrid [1.1.1.2] Retaliation build - DW RF Warlord

Nice build @thejabrixone !

I have mixed feelings,though.It’s DW melee build,which I like.But also it’s retaliation,which I dislike.

More important is the fact,that build is working and looks so solid,at same time the speed is impressive.

Oh, I forgot that you have posted the DW retal Warlord.
In any case. DW is the only department that phys Oppressor can hope to rival phys Warlord. Even then, getting nice overcap res and CC res are really hard in this build. Some drugs are still needed for covering that in SR run.

Thanks Nery. Why you no like Retal? Hybrid retal is always interesting.

Yes,hybrid can open possible new and exciting builds.I dislike the retal mechanic and I find boring to wait monsters to hit you.

But hybrid is still uncharted territory and have many more not posted possible builds.

Nice to see new build from you! Have you thought about Aeons for better Ascension’s, Ghoul’s and and Messenger’s cds instead of Ulzaad?

I have, but then I will need to sacrifice messenger’s of war or Ulzaad. And it will affect the whole playstyle and button. And I actually don’t like using Aeon, as I am bad at skill rotation. You can see that all of my build is not using aeon, maybe only for the nice slow res node.

On a side note. Resetting ghoul timer is not important for this build as its armor is super high.

Welcome back, man. Very interesting and creative build. Great job. Performance looks very solid for a build with almost no aoe.

I would recommend binding Assassin’s Mark to RF for best performance in Crucible tho.

Great idea and looks really nice, surprised to see how well it performs in crucible!

I’ve been trying to do this same concept as dervish, but it always looks so fugly in grimtools :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks Madlee!
Yeah, that’s one thing I haven’t check. Will try to test one with 1 pointer RE to flame torrent and RF to Assassin’s mark.

Thanks Tomo!
Dervish need a lot of skill points to work while the itemization cannot provide that. Reinforce by the fact that itemization for retal Usually give nothing relevant to nightblade.

just let Guardians proc Fiend. Don’t add extra button )

It’s bad on proccing fiend though. Also this build have too little button to press, so it might not disrupt the flow.

I know that those two are really only good for proccing stuff like Ulzuin’s Torch, but you probably gotta test how much damage you lose when casting RE versus how much damage you lose when you bind Fiend to Guardians.

Your melee build is beautiful in its simplicity, it just chops away and no spells disrupt its flow (except Bone Harvest).

Thanks Madlee!
I will off course test it little by little… :wink:

1 Like

Phys retal DE Warlord can’t rival phys retal DE oppressor. Because Warlord doesn’t have DE :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn right. lol. Forget about retal DE. :sneezing_face:

Very creative, I love the theorycrafting idea.

Thanks Belzz… :wink:

Nice build. I love non-set builds. Dawnshard shoulders are great, aren’t they?

Can’t help but think that Honor would still be better. Could fix the res with a chest component, maybe.

Uses the Stoneguard set though.