[1.1.4.0] Amarasta's Meme Burst - How my dreams were crushed by Amarastan Crusher

Because “-” is a binary operator that reduces the real number on the left hand side by the real number on the right hand side. 100% = 1, and 50% = 0.5, remember that % is just a notation for *0.01

My calculator does not show 25%, it shows 0%. And math should not be dependent on what calculator you use. I suspect that your calculator interprets “-x%” as " *(1-x)/100 " whereas my calculator use the mathematically correct notation that x% just means x/100

Let’s say you have a pair of pants that costs 50 Euro, then their prince increases by 20% and then there is 20% sale. The final price is calculated as 50*(1+0.2)*(1-0.2) = 48 Euro

What’s 50 - 50? Not 0.5 * 0.5, but 0.5 - 0.5.

Damage Modification is supposed to be additive. Much of the game has been balanced around that fact. I confirmed in game, however, that 2x Amarastan Crushers are in fact not 0 damage. If I had to guess, I imagine this bug comes from the fact that ABB has a chance to Freeze… because CC is, technically, a damage type and odd things happen when you convert to/from it or multiply it in some fashion.

Rest assured this is the next thing I’ll be hounding after @Zantai to get fixed.

I am not that dense, man, I understand how simple math works. 1-0,5-0,5 is indeed 0, but that is if the value of the last 50% is relative to initial 1 (100%). If game thinks it needs to substract 50% of already reduced damage by first substraction it will do 0,5 - 50% and not 0,5 - 0,5.

As I have already said maybe it’s not 0,5*0,5 but 0,5 - 50%.

And here is the video

This is probably the most pointless of conversations, but I’ve been poking the hornet’s nest all night, so what’s one more stab at it?

Grim Dawn does not deal in %'s…much. Resists are flat values which are only treated as a % multiplier at the end. Same goes for regular damage increase - if you have three sources of +30% Physical Damage, you wind up with +90%, not +219.7%. Presumably, and in most circumstances hitherto, Damage Modification behaves the same way and the % does not matter until the end calculation.

But hey, as long as we’re doing math incorrectly, I can (correctly) allege that 50 + 50 = 160. Figure that one out.

1 Like

Thank god this is not my math class where I really need to explain how to express mathematical relations in a proper way :stuck_out_tongue: I am on vacation now, I should not waste my time correcting improper usage of percentage increase/decrease :rofl: I am off to the gym now and later the beach!

“Presumably”. But it’s a 150 year old game engine some mechanics of which even Crate can’t explain sometimes.
But anyway, @Ceno and @malawiglenn what do you think of the little video I recorded? Is it possible that game thinks the same way? Because if you think about, it might very well be true since you equip one Crusher AFTER another and not simultaneously.

Absolutely. I haven’t checked the exact numbers (because I was too lazy) but sure, I wouldn’t discount it as a possibility that it boils down to 25% damage. I still hold this to be a possible offender too, though:

Edit: Secondary theory that this happens because it’s two skill modifiers doing it instead of global buffs, like (Old) Maiven’s and Prismatic Rage. Skill Modifiers have a history of stacking in unintended ways.

you mean that it does 0.5*0.5? Yes it seems that the game indeed “thinks” that way.

I guess iPhone calculator doesn’t know basic math, what a surprise…

So it doesn’t deal 0 damage after all? And it’s a bug that it doesn’t deal 0 damage? Would two Crushers heal enemies if it was -75%?

This thread just getting better and better… :joy:

I can’t even make phone calls with my iphone…

Does that math apply to -% resistances too? For example if a monster has 100% fire resistance , and I have 2 sources of -30% fire res. Would that mean the monster is 49% fire resistances after those 2 sources apply 100% - 30% - 30%? Or still 40% (100%- (30%+30%) )?
If not then it looks inconsistent. -% should behave the same throughout GD.

Even my default calc on android does that. It has something to do with its programming that when mad_lee typed “100-50%-50%” it became 100(1-0.5)(1-0.5) or sth like that.

The shit math they observed was a bug. It should work the same as the Rr mechanics we know. Source: Zantai hinself said it should be zero damage on double crusher.

Yes in some programming languages you can do special things with the predefined operators.
In C++ you know, n++ means n = n + 1 but that does not make sense from a mathematical point of view.

Yea I know how the miscalculation happend and it can be more user friendly (even though it’s straight up mathematically incorrect) for some people (who honestly also don’t know/care about the rules of math). I just like to make fun of apple products, that’s all tbh :smile:

5 Likes

I just read the thread. I can’t stop laughing. Holy fuck.

1 Like

Lol well it’s entirely possible it’s a sequential modification. Guess we’ll have to buff it now that the dream is dead.

Yeah yeah, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. But please buff Amarasta meme’s blades into something not meme :pleading_face: