[1.1.7.1] Sonya The Devastator - vital devastation spellbinder SR110/superbosses

Sonya has 20% more CDR due to taking C’thon dagger, Star Pact + the suffix on the amulet. Good stun res from medal, Topaz. 135% move speed instead of 124%. More RR taken from a lot of different sources. Capping Devastation by getting more points from the MI roll. Intentionally not emphasizing cast speed because it doesn’t matter here. It’s a lot of things that add up.

Why is it not in the build compendium?

Because the author didn’t bother to submit a triple stamped application paper. :rofl:

1 Like

Crate Entertainment forum bureaucracy is strict :expressionless:.

why ppl usually don’t do a leveling guide? im new to the game and I wanted to make this build ;-;

Welcome to the forums!

Most builds posted here are designed to be used by the player at endgame (lv94+), and many are gear-dependent and will not perform properly until you put on that endgame gear. In many cases, players will level with builds entirely different than the endgame ones they eventually intend to spec into, either because leveling is easier/smoother that way or because the endgame build is so gear-dependant that leveling with the desired endgame build is not really possible.

While you could farm lower level versions of the Monster Infrequent amulet that makes the vitality Devastation build possible and use it during leveling, keep in mind as well that Devastation is a skill towards the end of the skill bar, so it’d take a while to even get a build up-and-running that plays similarly to the one posted here.

Instead, maybe take a look at

for Spellbinder leveling ideas.

The guides labelled “beginner guides” on the forum are generally pretty good at taking you through the leveling process and contain both skill and gear suggestions, the latter of which are typically formulated so that you can avoid having to rely much on RNG to get that gear.

Also keep in mind that if this is your first character, you may be at the mercy of RNG for a time (maybe a long-ish time) while you wait for the appropriate gear pieces and/or blueprints to drop that will allow you to complete the build.

As an aside, I decided to do a fresh start Spellbinder recently, and while I did something different (and somewhat less efficient) for leveling, I’ve found that something like

specifically the “Alternative build” setup by @ya1

has been a nice rough template to shoot for as an intermediate farming goal on my way to the final build— Krieg set is target-farmable, and Scion of the Screaming Veil, while not target-farmable, drops from Aetherwarped Totems at an increased frequency, so it gave me something fun to look forward to while Totem farming in Ultimate difficulty. (Mostly the proc on Scion weapon is really cool looking, so now I have something cool to look at while I get more gear.)

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for taking your time! I really appreciate the effort you put to teach me how things works around here!

I’ll def be doing that spellbinder leveing build, thx a lot! <3

1 Like

Because most build in game is item dependant. And if you do have these items leveling is easy so no need telling people who has them items how to get to level 94

How is the build doing in the new patch?

Acid Purge also life steals with the weapon damage. Scales also provides passive ADCtH. Rattosh makes it all sweeter. At higher SRs, you can also just kite enemies underneath Devastation.

This build looks really cool. Is the belt (cord of violent decay) required? I’m only missing the cursebearer ring and the belt. Its hard to follow all the conversions.

Thanks!

I’m sure @supertolik can correct me if my assessment is off here, but neither the belt nor the ring is a build-defining item.

As far as conversions are concerned, only three things really matter here:

1. Devastation damage is entirely converted to vitality via item skill mods.

2. Chaos to vitality conversion on the gloves helps a bit in converting Mythical Fang of Ch’thon weapon damage used in acid purge, twin fangs, and tip the scales as well as chaos damage in solael’s flame skill.

3. There are no conversions from vitality to another damage type (which would negatively affect vitality damage present in devotion and item procs).

Since the belt conversion has nothing to do with any of this, it has no real effect here. The important stats on the belt are %vit damage, offensive ability, resistances, and +1 to arcanist. As far as I can tell, no other belt offers an equally appealing package of stats, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use another belt in the meantime. If you can keep resistances and OA okay, other +1 arcanist belts or even +1 necromancer belts (depending on what you have available) can be an okay placeholder. Just stay away from Chains of Ygraad, since that messes with all your vitality damage that isn’t tied to Devastation.

As for the ring, while Mythical Cursebearer may not be essential here, it does bring a lot of RR with the proc and +2 to spectral wrath. Other rings can work as placeholders, but the best placeholder is probably Empowered Cursebearer, since it’s basically the same ring with slightly lower stats, so you might check if you have it in your stash.

If you don’t mind, @supertolik, I actually have a question of my own as well—

Now that the 5% DA node on Obelisk has been moved, what’s your preferred devotion map here? Do you simply trade Sailor’s Guide for Hound (or maybe Lizard?) so that you can invest one more point in Obelisk for the DA node, or have you decided to do something different? If you do take Hound, suddenly you have quite a bit more armor than before, so maybe you change components for 100% armor absorb as well (or maybe not, since high SR doesn’t care that much about armor and you’re already playing Spellbinder with MoT and Mirror).

I didn’t realize the empowered cursebearer does the same -RR. I did have one of those. I’m still on the hunt for the mythic version and the belt, but overall I’m loving the build so far.

thanks for the help!

6 posts were split to a new topic: Buffs v nerfs - again

I still haven’t found an amulet with +3 devastation. Nor have I found % CDR. The build works fine without it albeit with less power. In the meantime what prefix/suffix would be the best substitute on the amulet? I’ve found a +3 reap spirit with no resistances or I have amulet with heavy resistances and some some DA.
I would assume the goal would be to maintain max resistance and then look for devastation > CDR > OA/DA > everything else?

thoughts?

Yeah, that Magi prefix is kind of insane— +3 to Devastation and up to 5% cdr.

Of the two amulets you mentioned, I’d use the second one— Reap Spirit is a one point investment to begin with and +3 adds a little damage, but resistances+DA is better and might give you some flexibility as you try to deal with the missing belt.

I think this is roughly right. I’d probably keep any amulet with either +Devastation (comes in both Magi’s and Arcanist prefix) or +%cdr prefixes as well as anything with +lots of useful stats like the resistances+DA amulet you found. You might also be on the lookout for affixes that fit other builds you may want to try; for example, I’ve seen a few cold Ill Omen Reaper builds that use the amulet+Morgoneth set so rolling something like +2 to Night’s Chill could be worth keeping as well.

Yeah, I assumed the same. I’ve been using the resistance/DA amulet. I feel like I could farm this forever and not get Magi insane!

Yeah, odds are… not good here, since it’s not just Magi’s prefix, but one specific Magi’s prefix. But this is just the best prefix roll, not the full list of good or usable rolls, so at least there’s that. I feel your pain, though.

(Full disclosure: to avoid that pain, I’ve gone to the dark side and now use GDstash with the rule that I’m only allowed to make/re-roll items I already have, so in your situation, I could craft the amulet with whatever affixes I want, but I’d still have to wait for the belt to drop.)

I found an awesome amulet but not the +3 devastation :(. I’m assuming a decent +3 devastation without magi would still be better?

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mAj352

+points to Devastation amulet rolls only come via the +3 Devastation Magi’s prefix and the +2 Devastation Arcanist’s prefix, but +2 should still let you hardcap Devastation with a +1 all skills in Arcanist belt (like the one you’re currently looking for).

The difference in Devastation damage between +2 Devastation Arcanist prefix and a high-rolled cdr prefix with 5% cdr shouldn’t be very much (slightly in favor of +2 Devastation), but that doesn’t factor in the extra %spirit on Arcanist prefix or the extra potential utility from +3 to some Arcanist skill on Magi prefixes (like the one you got or potentially even something like +3 to Maiven’s Sphere) or the fact that cdr affects other things besides Devastation. Factoring in suffix rolls, you’re going to be comparing amulets on a case-by case basis, I think. What you have is already very good, though.