[1.1.8.1 - 1.1.9.0] Budget dw ranged pierce Paladin

Serves me right for not reading close enough. :laughing:. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Thanks, this is what I needed.
I am still confused tho, I’ve clicked " Current status of the build (Grimtools) " and that one doesn’t use it either, I guess that link wasn’t updated yet…? The idea is, we can use this proc for end-game when we have enough attack speed, so it should be in the end-game setup?

The current link is not updated - and will likely only be updated if there is a major change (which would only affect this state of the build while not affecting the levelling phase until level 90+). My idea behind the snapshots is to provide the character like I played him - and the “current status” is typically the character at the time I publish a guide.

The skill from the devotion itself is imho more worthwile at higher levels, as you have to fight with the enemies rather close to your character to get most out of the skill, and you also will need a second WPS with a high enough proc change (means level) - to be able to proc the skill often enough. That said, as attack speed was added to Hydra - I would now likely finish Azrakaa before taking the next devotion, also to have the skill levelled up

I see, thanks for the answers :3

Hi, first off very nice build man, enjoying it a lot.
I managed to hit 100 today and got very lucky with a mythical oathbearer drop, i believe it is an upgrade over bloodborer but still i’d like to make sure, what do you think?

Thx for the feedback - and glad that you enjoy the build :slight_smile:

Mythical Oathbeares should be a clear upgrade path - even after Bloodbores got an upgrade with 1.1.9.1 (has now also +1 to all skills in Oathkeeper). Just keep in mind that Bloodbores also support one of the Inquisitor WPS skills, so you might want to check if redistribution of some skill points makes sense [but you also get with one Oathbearer around 50% of the elemental damage converted to pierce - and weapon damage + attack speed to Righteous Fervor]

Thanks for the quick reply, the oathbearer does seem to feel much better damage wise, will test with a second one, move some points around if i manage to get lucky.

One more (dumb) question - does it matter which Ravager I pick when helping Barrowholm? Finished build doesn’t seem to use the helmet but I figured I’d ask anyway…

Depends on which helm you want. Each of htem gives slightly different stats with one main stat that is unique to that specific version of Ravager. You can check out the three helms on Grim Tools.

Up front though it doesn’t actually tell you which person to choose to get which ravager but if you read the text carefully from Grim Tools about the title of each Ravager and compare it to the answers each of the ‘worshippers’ give you you can generally figure out which is which.

1 Like

You will not “just kill ravager” on a dw ranged build :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The build is finished as a budget build - but such a build is only the beginning, not the end of the journey.

So, which one you want (and remember, you can get the legendary helmet in Elite and Ultimate) depends on the build you target for. But I would also not expect that it is possible to get a kill (at least in a still somehow fun way) with the budget build.

2 Likes

Not to drag you away from @The_Coyote’s great build here but as you step it up, you might consider this one: [1.1.8.1] A Paladins Tale - The Runner Gunner | 5:20 Cruci |

1 Like

I don’t need or want the helmet right now, but I don’t know which of the guys to sacrifice still :frowning: Is there like ‘generally best’ choice among those 3 helmets that I would want more often than not? For SC builds…

I very rarely fit one that isn’t the adcth version

1 Like

Hi there!

I’ve just started playing, so sorry for being a total noob, but there’s a bit here that doesn’t seem to match with the skills:

Looking at the skills in the Grimtools link, Word of Renewal (L10), Vigor (L20) and Steel Resolve (L32) are all in one chain but Inquisitor Seal (L25) is in a separate chain, so don’t I have to put a point in Vigor anyway to go from Word of Renewal to Steel Resolve?

nope
to put points into a skill node it just requires that the main node (square) has a point, then you can skip middle node if you want and just point end nodes when you reach the lvl Tier on mastery bar

1 Like

Cool, thanks - that at least explains one of the things I’ve been doing wrong until now!! :rofl:

I’d like to thank you for your work and this guide.
With the Xbox release I’ve restarted playing GD again. I’d like to see all masteries that exist and with your Paladin only an Elementalist is then left, then I’ve seen all 9 masteries (of course not the combinations…).

On PC I only played Softcore (SC) and now play this Paladin in Hardcore (HC). The adrenaline rushes are unbelievable. I lost two characters to the totem in Wardens Cellar, which spawns 4 melees that lock you in place. Stubborn as I am (Totems are optional, aren’t they…) my third character is now at level 45 right at the gates of Malmouth.

To be honest I don’t think I’ll play SC again. I’m not the ultra end game farmer anyways and prefer leveling and seeing how the character gets stronger or unlocks new skills really more.
(Shattered Realms/SR or the other content was boring me, as there was no real penalty for dieing and it was only “ok 5 more legendaries” after some point in time. I’m not the ultra grinder for the last minmaxing anyways, as I loose interest fast, when the base game is finished: I came back to Grim Dawn few days after getting Enigma in Diablo 2 Ressurected/D2R, while also having beaten the game with every class in all difficulties. Heck, maybe I’ll also give D2R HC a try.)

I’ve invested a bit more in Phys so far and have made a very small change when skilling (I liked to have invest on two points to unlock skills earlier, that was obviously not needed and won’t make a difference) and so far the character plays nicely. Yesterday evening I would have lost the character again in Gloomwald, if I didn’t pause and fast exit, because I got locked in again at some boss monster and his spawns which appeared out of nothing (shortly before you find the coven). Maybe this try now doesn’t count as a real hardcore try, but let’s see how far the journey carries me.

I got quite some luck with a 50% armor piercing Epic pistol as Devil’s Crossing still needs more Reputation. I’m estimating about 10 cronley runs until next reputation level. (update wrong, the guns ky need respected…) Maybe I’ll do Act 1+2 Elite before Forgotten Gods on normal, but let’s see. It’s not like I’m not afraid of Ashes of Malmouth and later Forgotten Gods Bosses anyways. :grinning:

So much text, tldr: thanks :blush:

Update: just completed normal with both expansions

1 Like

Congratulation - and I hope your further journey will be fun and successful :slight_smile:

Thanks, yesterday my stubbornness was punished. The same totem in Wardens Cellar, to which I already lost 2 chars on normal ended the level 56 Paladin on Elite. 🤦

Since I also got a private message, here’s the same answer: this totem is somewhat special, it spawns more and harder enemies than most other totems, I did every other totem I came across without any problems.
Resistences are nearly maxed and all armor had components. I should have kited more instead of staying in the Inquisitor seal, that was, what killed me. But as I said this totem is different. I think on Elite it spawned around 20 enemies. When I survived on normal I was running and kiting like hell. On Elite it was working nice staying in the Seal until some hit came, which blew away around 3k life instantly. The bar wasn’t even moving, it was just instantly saying you’re dead. The character had around 7k life, to begin with.

All in all: not the fault of the build, but a very brutal encounter which is much harder than the other shrines.