[1.1.9.7] Beginner’s 2H Ranged Lightning Savagery Vindicator (pre-Evoker)

I just played again for one day and i have no legend items
Should i try Desolator first or Evoker!

Both are good options. Desolator is fire and Vindicator is lightning. Choose whatever you like to play and don’t worry about results. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Many thanks!!! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for posting this I wanted to try something for the “Community Season 4” standalone download, and since I am starting with nothing AND want something new, this could work!

It sounds like a lot of fun tbh, I havent done a “gun build” just a Deathknight Forcewaver, a Pet Conjurer, and a EoR Shieldbreaker! :open_mouth:

1 Like

A build with Desolator deals far less DPS. I’ve tried both, and Desolator is fine, has good AoE and is very flashy due to explosive fire procs all over the screen, but Evoker of Elgoloth is much better DPS-wise.
I think, even with decent Sparkthrower. Lightning Savagery it will outperform Desolator.

IMO, you shouldnt bind Revenant to Upheaval, it wont trigger often enough, because other WPS take priority over it. Upheaval procs only from non-WPS attacks, and only on critical hit, and then you have only 20% chance to summon skellies… Actually, you shouldnt get Upheaval at all. And why bind your devotion procs to stuff like Inquisitor’s Seal and Wind Devil, when you have Chilling Rounds and Storm Spread free?
BTW, why did you put so few points into other WPS? Does it feel good to trigger non-WPS attack so often? With several extra points you can get +10% WPS proc chance and much higher damage on them too. You can just get rid of Maelstrom and remove 8 points from Shaman mastery, it isnt as if you need them badly anyways.

That’s not how Upheaval procs devotions (it can proc them even if you have 0% crit chance) - more info here Upheaval devo proccing test results

so in this build Upheaval attempts to proc devo on 52% Savagery attacks
while Storm Spread will have 4 proc attempts on 20% Savagery attacks

so the first one will proc Skellies on 10.4% Savagery attacks
and the 2nd one on 11.8% Savagery attacks according to my math

so Storm Spread turns out to be slightly better in the OP Grim Tools at proccing assuming you hit with with with all Storm Spread projectiles

Even in that case, with 90%+ chance to trigger WPS it wont have a very good proc rate either. Vindicator has 4 WPS, not just 1 or 2. With all your WPS capped properly you have 27+22+21+22=92% WPS trigger chance, and only 8% trigger chance for non WPS attack eligible for Upheaval. Unless you intentionally underlevel your WPS and severely cripple your DPS (as you did in your build).

Have you missed Feral Hunger? Or did I looked at a different build?

[btw: Do you know if Upheaval is as “wave like attack” (each hit enemy has it own trigger prop) or a “one hit area attack” (only one trigger prob per hit, independent from the number of hit enemies)?]

Is there such a thing as “only one trigger prob per hit, independent from the number of hit enemies” in this game?

(this is what I meant)

Ok, but you should state it properly. As far as i know, Upheaval is a circular AoE that hits all enemies at once, so Assassin’s Mark will trigger only once per activation. Though you should care about that only with physical build, not lightning one. Procs with low % chance to activate (Aetherfire, Wendigo) still benefit greatly from hitting multiple targets (as it increases chances to trigger), and other procs with 100% activation on crit (Ultos, Tempest) have cooldowns and wont trigger more than once anyways.

yes, sorry, so Uphaveal is about 2 times worse at proccing than what I wrote

no, I don’t think so

However since Upheaval devo procs are kinda independent from the actual damage / visual / skill perhaps it doesn’t get any more proc chances when Upheaval actually occurs (and possibly hits more enemies) :thinking:

I’m levelling this build atm (SSF, lvl 96 right now) and can confirm that Upheaval triggers Revenant reliably, I always have like 4-5 Skellies with me. The only issue I have is that I couldn’t get the weapon as of now, but that’ll always be a problem with SSF builds ^^

2 Likes

Great guide! If let’s say you’re using Primal Strike instead of Savagery, what items/devotion would you change? Skills I can figure out by myself.

1 Like

I saw, you got respond in Discord, but I would write short comment myself. If you replace Savagery with PS, you can use the same devotion map. One downside of PS is the fact you can’t trigger WPS and bind them to devotions. I would prioritize procing Widow with Primal Strike.

As for gear, rifle is the key item. Possibly, faction gear or other items with + skills to Primal Strike skill line can be helpful, other items should be similar for both builds. PS Vindicator is also a great build and in early levels deals much more damage, so you should be fine in that regard.

1 Like

Hello, I feel like I must be doing something wrong with following the devotions part of this guide. I’ve just finished the Tortoise, but I cannot remove the lower right node from the Ghoul because it is needed for the Revenant, and Ultos still requires three more green afinities. Should I grab the Scholar’s light or something, in order to get the green needed to unlock Ultos? Thank you!

That’s because there’s Hydra missing in the path. Grab Hydra, it will give you 2 red needed to remove node from Ghoul and 3 green needed for Ultos.

Oh, yes, that would solve things. Thank you!

Nice build guide, I just started leveling a Vindicator and love it.

A few remarks for early leveling for people that started fresh during the 35-50 stage:

• Until the Ugdenbog Sparkthrower is available I’d run with “Sparkbolt Arbalest” (Level 35) which adds massive ligthning base damage and combine that with the easily farmable Mogaras Fangs ( add phys dmg to Mogdrogen’s Pact which the Sparkbolts seems to convert to lightning (40%) if I’m not mistaken - I see a good boost in Savagery/Base Dmg from that alone and at that early stage it outperfoms most yellow/green amulets
  • If you have starfire rings dropping, they are nice for leveling as well (level 40+) due to proccing sky fragment (10%) as 2m AoE Lightning/Cold
  • I also found that any green armor that can roll with “of Insight” (legs, boots…) is just crazy good at early game, it gives like 80-90% elemental dmg boost for 8 seconds and stacks. Every other affix is in the 30-40% light/elemental damage range… crazy
1 Like

Hey, maybe a dumb question but will I have a bad time playing this in hardcore?