[1.1.9.8] The Legionnaire's Rebuke - Beginner's Shield & Pistol Warlord - SR75 HC

This is a beginner’s friendly shield and pistol build that is close to elitist build performance. It is very tanky and gets through SR75 fairly easy without dying but not fast enough to do it within timer.

It shoots with Cadence and 3 WPS skills: Markovian, Zolhan and Smite

The pistol has modifiers for Righteous Fervor but killing a dummy seemed to take a few seconds less with Cadence (~45 sec), more importantly the dummy behind the dummy I was targeting was significantly more damaged with Cadence therefore it was a clear winner.

GEAR

The grimtools upload includes one purple item, because I wanted to show how it can combine with faction gear to MAX out all 3 WPS skills. However a more easily found Harvoul’s mark will not perform much worse, it will basically exchange some single target dmg for more AOE. I haven’t found a strong Amulet match for this build, I think Kaisan is best. Additional budget items and alternative weapons will be shown in the screenshot below on the left.

GUIDE

Leveling

The lowest level gunner shield that can drop is the Legionnaire’s Rebuke at level 40. Since pistols have low base dmg it is not recommended to use Cadence before a shield is found that has a unique pistol dmg modifier. This is because the %WD used by Cadence will be very low compared to rifles. It is possible to level with Forcewave and a pistol, since the %WD will scale of your shields and a shambler’s heart pendant can be gained very early in ACT 1 and greatly buff the dmg and cooldown.
It is however likely you will run into a mutant bludgeon, which drop from act 1 zombies, making it very tempting to go melee for a while. It is also possible to level with Aegis of Menhir and a pistol, but the Ronaprax amulet to buff it will appear at a less convenient moment in Act 2.

Devotions

First unlock Falcon to have lots of passthrough shooting dmg, then Turtle.Tthose will be removed much later but can be kept for a long time to help leveling and unlocking the tier 2 devotions. Continue Panther → Hammer, now Ulzaad and Dire Bear can be unlocked, Ulzaad will unlock Chariot of Death and Chariot of Death will unlock Hydra.

Relics

The following lower level relics need to be produced to ultimately produce Serenity:

Mistborn talisman, Arbiter, Endurance, Vendetta, Sanctuary

Among those, Endurance and Sanctuary will be useful for the character itself, so should be prioritized.

1 Like

reserved 10char

I can’t speak specifically to HC, but I found pistol and shield cadence to be the most depressing ranged option in game, only slightly above pistol and shield RF (and I assume Savagery), outside of stronghold set which gives enough flat to act like you are using a 2 hander and performs reasonably because of it. This is not necessarily a build critique, just an extreme weakness of the playstyle

Any reason you wanted to use the shield and not a second pistol?

1 Like

Well I think by nature shield + pistol builds are hardcore builds, since which playstyle could possibly more cautious?

and from that perspective there are good reasons not to use a second pistol, since that will block you out of menhir’s will and menhir’s bulwark.

Also I don’t think the damage is depressing, SR75 was not done in time, but it also didn’t take ages, the timer ran out when the first boss was halfway dead, and this was for the budget blue shield. The erulan watcher will more than double the flat dmg buff and add +7% more attack speed and +110% all dmg.

Watcher I could see for defense, but this blue shield is really only giving you an HP roll? Goes to the balance of offense/defense where going too tanky ends up with getting swarmed and in more danger than clearing faster. I found the damage drop on pistol and shield cadence to be not worth it, as cadence cycle is noticeably slower and you lose wps power since the flat bonus on the shield is no where near what a second gun (and shot on wps) brings. Again though, this isn’t really build critique if pistol and shield is your goal and more what I see as weaknesses in the concept with the itemization we have currently.

re: clear times, those are very slow, but as this is mostly a beginner gear setup I’m not sure if it matters.