Add movespeed to green and purple devotions

I for one am not trying to provoke nor insult Zantai nor the work that went into GD. But disagreeing with someone should not be taken as an insult or intention to provoke that person.

2 Likes

Christ, you people today…

It is my choice whether to engage with community feedback at all, and certainly not my job to dissect every suggestion and thought process that comes through here. Whether I do is largely depended on the people visiting this forum and how they act.

Calling my team lazy because we presented a reasonable explanation for why some player feedback is a bad idea for the game is just one example of why most developers don’t bother to engage at all.

I like how my argument gets called a slippery slope but arguing that runes, which are an extremely dynamic gameplay mechanic with many choices in how you engage in combat and how you move around the playspace is somehow supporting homogeneity cause previously only 2 masteries had a movement skill.

If we removed all movement skills and made one movement skill baseline (say a dodge), that’s reducing variety. You would have less choices.

If we added % run speed all over the place like is being petitioned here, you would stop thinking about % Run Speed at all. It would be a given, an afterthought in your builds. So at that point we might as well just remove said bonuses and raise % Run Speed baseline. The result would be the same in its impact on your build creation.

It’s unfortunate that this seem to be such a difficult concept to grasp.

I don’t know how else to interpret calling our decisions “lazy”. Maybe I’m missing some nuance in the word’s definition.

8 Likes

Not your decision, just your excuse.

Holy shit, Maya…grasping at straws today?

Which he just went into greater detail to explain the logic of to you, hence there is no “cop out” or laziness on Z’s part. It’s instantaneous replies like this that fail to weigh up the substance of what they’re replying to that cause devs to lose patience.

4 Likes

Nope, being completely serious.

You say:

Yet, this is exactly how it is with devotions if you want move speed from them.

How is having to rely on Blue mostly for move speed on every devo path not reducing variety?

Same argument can be applied to why Movement Runes are a bad idea, but you see them in a different light, which ofcourse is fine I suppose.

Explanation or logic?
You mean these?

&

You know he was talking about Z’s recent post, stop making excuses.

By the way, if you’re ever wondering if something is insulting or disrespectful, imagine saying it to your mother or your boss. If you’d be even the least bit reluctant to do so, chances are what you said is an insult.

So, how would referring to someone as “lazy” stack up in this case :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s Zantai’s decision and I appreciate a lot Grim Dawn and his work and dedication.

If he doesn’t agree with this feedback, perhaps there’s not point of arguing and give some players reasons to gloat. It’s as said mostly QoL function.

In GD early levels the speed of attacks, move speed and enemies speed is low, it’s nicely done and give you time as new player to adapt to the game. If you are more experienced it’s way to play in more relaxed pace and afford to not play 100% efficiency. During your leveling progress your attack speed/cast speed is greatly increased, past normal difficulty enemies are also much faster, some areas are swarming with mobs charging you from different directions, falling meteros, ground damage, etc. Pace of the game is now significantly increased.

So make logical sense your character to move faster as well. Sailor’s Guide is always nice devotion for leveling, it’s one of the first I usually go. But if you choose certain part of the map every time, isn’t that homogenizing the game? I would say it’s mostly calculation what’s better and weigh in stats, what you need most. But sacrificing your beautiful and rarely used route of Sage+Serru for trivial reasons isn’t thing of beauty.

6 Likes

to make a long story short:
homogeneity != reduced variety

That explanation was addressed at someone else. Instead you preats need to stop jumping at everyone at the slight disagreement with Z, as if they are trying to light Z on fire.

(Note that I am not calling out all ofthe praets with this, just those who display this behaviour).

As for insulting or disrespectful, I do not care if it is my parents or boss or anyone else. I call things as I see them, without slightest bit of reluctance. Perhaps you don’t, but I need not subscribe to your ideology.

Back on topic, please.

1 Like

I’m in this camp as well. Every devotion colour has it’s subtle trade-offs or reasons to pick constellations from them and you could just as easily argue that movement speed is one of Blue’s perks here.

Want OA in big amounts? Either go Green/Red for Hawk/Raven/Spider/Chariot/Ulzuin’s Torch or stack high amounts of Blue/Red for the imfamous Dying God/Spear of the Heavens combo, no one cares that outside of Dying God/Spear (which aren’t as easily accessible/are route defining) that Blue/Yellow is largely devoid of OA for instance, or that there is very little for DA in Green/Red. It’s just standard that people go where they want these stats in high, concentrated amounts, the same can be argued for movement speed. You want accessible movement speed for everyone? Eel and Sailor’s Guide are right there.

+1 to making Mark of Mogdrogen more appealing though.

3 Likes

so you propose to reduce variety (cos now, if you want some MS, go for blue and nothing else), but at the same time, you reducing homogeneity, because now MS is not taken for granted.
Which case is worse: having no alternatives for a certain variable or caring much less about a certain variable?
and just curious: what “advantages” does purple have? Because from my perspective, it’s a bit lacking some stats and seems secondary.

4 Likes

Don’t want to focus too much on this since we’re supposed to be talking about devotions here, but I really agree with this:

I often end up doing this thing when I make a build where I briefly entertain taking Mark of Mogdrogen over Mark of the Traveler, but I basically always take Mark of the Traveler in the end.

2 Likes

I’m saying it’s a player’s choice that they go to specific constellations or spaces of the devotion map for specific stats. If movement speed is available in more places, then player choice starts to diminish because you no longer need to actively search for stats like movement speed if you just naturally pick it up alongside other stats you were looking for.

Typically, I go Purple on non-Purple-based routes for DA/CC resistances in Wolverine/Throne, there is also quite a bit of DA spread around more thinly rather than in concentrated chunks comparatively to Blue/Yellow. All around, the section strikes me as defensive, supportive to other primary colours as you pointed out and in some ways, a jack of all trades.

That argument can be made against a lot of things, like Aether/Chaos res in Augments for example, or just plain old attributes.

Also one problem with devotions is that you also need to satisfy color requirements. So you are already most likely making tradeoffs, with extra points spent on movespeed, you could end up with not enough for key devotions that make the difference between an Aether Crystal Farmer or a Proper build.

2 Likes

Well yeah, you’re always making trade-offs when you play ARPGs, on everything. It’s up to player discretion to decide what the best/most efficient trade-off decisions to make are, and sometimes, you cannot have everything you want in a character and have to accept that. Different playstyles have different upsides and downsides, it’s natural, it’s what keeps characters or even personalised playstyles between different players different.

1 Like

why we talk about MS as a playstyle or sth like that? Adding it is not about making builds broked etc but just about improving QoL a bit as it is super-frustrating to play a character that moves slow like a snail.
Green sector looks a bit like you sacrifice your CC resists, your stats, your MS and gain … what do you actually gain? An opportunity to play another damage type? It’s just visual effects. The numbers are the same everywhere.

1 Like

I don’t think there are many tradeoffs to be made with Attribute points unless playing Mono-class or Class-less :stuck_out_tongue: