B30 Hotfix 2 (v0.3.7.5)

Ha! I’m such a nooob! I fell for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Would it be possible to give +% chance to hit and +%crit chance on items/abilities/skills/etc?
If OA just gave a base line for chance to hit, chance to crit and crit multilpiers and then the masteries and gear could increase those three stats we shouldn’t have a problem, right? We can already increase out crit multiplier with gear and skills (%crit damage) so why can’t we do the same for chance to hit and chance to crit?

So you want to alter skills like Inner Focus to give flat % crit chance instead of %OA ? It seems like its just splitting chance to hit and chance to crit from OA to 2 separate stats. In the end ppl will still have to take constelation and passives from masteries that provide Crit Chance/OA whatever you call it -
i dont see how that changes anything.

Loxmere needs to not have access to the nullification skill. Monsters in ARPG’s shouldn’t be the one’s with bullshit abilities and turning off all your buffs/auras and even consumable potions is pretty damn rude. Furthermore stealth mobs in general are unfair in the current state of the game since so many of the main skills are targeted.

With respect to crit changes; you need to do a tuning pass on all the on crit procs. 33% chance to proc on crits was okay when 50% crit was possible, but now you’d be lucky to even have 20% chance to crit with >3k OA against a lv90 or 91 mob (which is everything in the entire game when you’re lv85).

My take on OA/DA: Boss fights are the only fights that matter.

If we can’t crit bosses and have devotion powers proccing (especially with only a 50% chance at that when we DO get to crit them with that pitiful 3% chance) why bother having them at all? I could see going from oh, say a 20% crit chance on regular mobs to only 10-12% on bosses, but …3% if any?

Maximum possible player stats are a pie chart. You have to slice it into pieces and devote percentages to specific skills. In my opinion, it is currently too punishing especially for ranged caster type characters who don’t have soldier/arcanist skill trees to gain enough resists, health, armor and OA/DA to crit and see all those hard earned Devotion powers proc on these tough and legendary Ultimate boss/hero battles

I never said anything about changing Inner Focus into %crit chance. What I am saying is that it’d be easier to balance chance to hit, chance to crit and crit damage if you were able to scale all of them separately. The people who don’t want to go for anything crit related at all would be able to pick up chance to hit (mind you, chancging offensive ability into +% chance to hit would mean you get more % chance to hit than you would’ve gotten from the OA, since you’re trading crit chance and crit damage for pure chance to hit). It’d make things easier for builds that just care about 1 of the 3 stats that OA gives to get lots of it.
That is how it “changes anything”.
EDIT: to give an example: (I’ll be making up numbers as I go to get my point across, just fyi)
let’s say 50 OA gives +10% chance to hit and +1% crit chance (as well as elevating your crit damage to the next level)
now, an item you have that normally gives 50 OA is changed to only give crit chance instead. The crit chance you would get from that item would therefore have to be greater than +1% since you’re trading 10% chance to hit and that next level of crit damage for it. The devs might then therefore decide that the item should just give “+2% chance to crit” instead of that 50 OA. This would make the item a better choice for people who want more crit chance to proc skills that requires you to crit.
The 50 OA could also be changed into chance to hit in the same way. Perhaps the devs would decide that +15% chance to hit would be a solid number? Who knows. Either way, you’re getting more of a single stat instead of getting a spread between the 3 different stats, meaning you get more choice in how you build your character.
Not only that, but once you get to a point where you have 100% chance to hit everything, items that give +% chance to hit that are normally really good might seem less appealing. It’d have a similar effect to how the introduced attack speed cap had: more build diversity.

Not sure why someone would want that. It seems not only deliberate gimping of a char, but with less skills at disposal also making him more boring.

There is a way in which this might be possible though: A permanent buff when entering Elite (like 10% increased attributes and health), and a stronger one when entering Ultimate (20%). The buff goes poof, of course, when a second mastery is chosen. It could be called “Master of One”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Crit dmg is a separate stat right now so we dont have to mix it into the OA issue. What i was asking is how do you imagine skills and items to work after the split of OA into hit and crit chance - specificly Inner focus gives now OA so you want it to provide both crit chance and hit chance or only crit chance and no hit chance ? same with items - if items provide OA now you want to them give either hit or crit or some items would give both ? Personaly i think it would be pretty terrible if you could make a character that has like 20% chance to crit but only 75-80% to hit , considering that you first have to hit to even roll for crit you would want to get both stats anyway and it would only make itemization more complicated. Just my opinion thou

The problem is, once I’ve started investing in the second mastery tree, I ALREADY have less skills at disposal. The maxed out ones, I mean. I have to scatter points across two trees without any of those actually being maxed out (maybe one or two, I dunno) if I do this. Of all builds I see discussed here, most of them, if not all, suggest that just one or two skills (mainly defensive, duh) are maxed out, the rest is floating mid-air. Dunno if it’s considered effective.

You are not supposed to max skills except 1-2 passives and maybe your main one. There are items with + skill levels for that.

I’m not talking about Inner Focus at all. Leave it as it is for all I care. What I am saying here (and what I think is what I am having trouble communicating to you) is that we should be able to scale all the three different stats that OA gives separately AS WELL as having the OA stat as the “I want all of these stats” stat. Think of OA as “+% All Damage” and crit chance and chance to hit as “+% Fire Damage” and “+% Cold Damage” or something. It just gives all three stats, but less than you’d get from simply increasing one stat.

You don’t see “+100% All Damage” on gear, but you do see “+100% Fire Damage”. Think about it.

And sure, a charachter with 20% crit chance and only 75-80% chance to hit might be terrible. But see here’s the thing: You CHOSE to make your character that way! Right now, you can’t even do that. You’re stuck with a single stat that seems to be the root of all your problems as well as the only solution to them.

How should, say, a tank be effective with just “1-2 passives” maxed out (doesn’t matter which ones, actually) when there are so many tank-related ones in the SINGLE tree, not to mention secondary mastery (which can have some as well)? The +skill items don’t really fix the issue here.

Then again, I’m not asking for an ability to max out all skills I want for any build I want. I’m just concerned about the lack of base stats for single-mastery characters compared to double-mastery ones.

Just try it. It might be counterintuitive after playing other games in the genre but thats how it works

i don’t understand your position at all

you’re bothered that dual mastery is too effective compared to single mastery, but you also don’t understand how a dual mastery character is supposed to be effective compared to a single mastery one?

This is true. First, I don’t think mobs should be balanced to be dangerous to casters and melee across the board. Some mobs should be more against casters and some should be more against melee. We have that with retaliate mobs and similar things sort of, and in my opinion this is one of the great parts of GD.

But yes, I’ve stated before that it shouldn’t be impossible to feel like a tank god once you build properly, and that there should be the trade off of clear-speed… but perhaps it is a bit slower than needed. Maybe dps needs to be able to clear even faster, so that tanks can be buffed up to clear a little faster too. I dunno, it’s really a fine line with so many factors and so situationally different from act to act, zone to zone, boss to boss.

Defensive builds SHOULD have decreased clear speed. The question is, is it too much? How much do we want to equalize the difference between dps and tank? Make tanks a little more threatened but a little faster, and dps a little more tanky and a little less fast? Or keep a wide disparity in clearing efficiency? I dunno. I don’t usually go sword and board so I’m inexperienced here.

Separately, if devs are worried about crit dmg fucking bosses in the ass, they could give bosses an aura that lowers player %crit dmg, and reduce boss da so that crit proccers can still have fun but not burst bosses down too quickly. Procs feel good. Proccing too little feels bad. This is an idea I think worth exploring. There could also be something (item, devotion) that gives guaranteed crits every x amount of attacks or a %proc on hit to crit.

For ejemplo: Ring, Forlorn Berserker- usual stats - Proc : Flailing Strikes- 10% chance to crit regardless of OA or DA.

Pistol, Black Cat - usual stats - special stat : every ninth attack from this gun is a guaranteed crit (dual wielding another pistol wouldn’t count it’s attacks)

Shield of Retribution - usual stats - proc, 5% chance when hit to guarantee a crit on your next attack, 2 second cool down.

Belt, Kinetic Overload -stats- special passive , every time you are hit gain a charge, which decay out of combat. At 80-100 charges (randomly rolled ) your next 5 attacks are guaranteed crits.

I am in support of the solution that zetu mentioned. In all honestly, having vastly differing chance to hit is going to be hard to balanced. D&D 4th and 5th Edition more or less just give every character a baseline chance to hit base on their level (whereas in D&D 3.5E every character class has a significantly different progression on their chance to hit). Masteries with access to OA will have more OA than the rest. If OA is important, then those skills are OP. If OA is scaled back to be less important due to the meta, or if there are lots of decent access to OA elsewhere, then those skill points can be (and will be) spent on somewhere useful. Inner Focus will either be 12/12 or 1/12 (or 0/12) – unless its primary attraction is not OA.

I would rather remove access to OA/DA from skills and stats, leaving them to itemization and devotions, which is equal opportunity for all build. This way Soldiers and Anarchists won’t be the outliers you have to balance for (or high Cunning, or high Physique).

Is that a hidden message?

New Class?

Honestly dunno how others feel about it but it seems like the main reason why crits are problematic are procs. If there were no procs on crit whatsoever it would be just dmg - dmg is accesible by all masteries , different builds can use different dmg bonuses different gear. OA will always be desirable stat but if there were no “Build enabling and/or fun” procs on crit it wouldn’t be mandatory to even try build using reckless tempest / blizzard etc. I understand that changing for example blizzard from 50% on crit to even 3% on hit would be problematic , cause nights chill/chilling presence could proc it 24/7 but wouldnt it be easier to balance devotions triggering pretty much everytime they are off cooldown then trying to figure out so late into development how to allow more then 2 masteries to crit?

Late response, sorry. It’s Zappa’s skycaller with Trozan’s sky shards added, apparently standard enough to have a set made for it. I’ve invested in cold damage and tried to use the Blizzard constellation, which is utterly wasted with that 4% “crit chance”.

This sounds about right to me, just add in a super-fun miss chance on top of it so shambling zombies and bugs get a chance to ninja-dodge your AoE spells without moving.