Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy

I’m sorry the DRM-free version isn’t concurrent with release. It isn’t an after-though and, indeed quite a bit of time has been spent already talking about how to distribute it and working toward various options.

I’ve actually been in discussion with and going back and forth over the distribution contract with GoG for, no exaggeration, a year. I think it’s gone back and forth 7-8 times to iron out all the details. I thought it would be signed in Nov, then Dec, but, as it turns out, it’s still not signed. Most recently it’s been issues like, in Jan they wanted us to launch on their early access program and at points to commit to include features for GoG Galaxy but each time I got the updated contract, I felt that the delivery dates written into it were so close I was not sure we could meet them, so I had to decline. I had expected a simultaneous launch on GoG and they were pushing for that but we kept getting hung up on deliverable timing issues and it was drawn out due to slow turn-around on my part because I’ve been so overwhelmed with development work.

The latest though is that they’ve agreed to scrap all the deadlines and extraneous commitments so we can just forge ahead and get this done. Completing that is one of my top priorities now with release out of the way.

If things had gone more according to plan, we would have been ready to release Grim Dawn in late January or the beginning of February. Then would have spent a couple weeks prior to actually releasing it getting the virtual goods and DRM-free distribution set up, among other things.

As things went though, it took longer than expected, partially because of our last minute effort to improve the Burrwitch Ourtskirts and Arkovian Ruins environments, which require a bunch of my time for level work. There were lot of other things that came up to absorb my time, just in preparing for release.

In the end, I wasn’t sure we were going to make February. I had previously wanted to have all the reward distribution set up or release and, had we been able to offer the Patron / Legendary packages available on the website to people on Steam, that could have been extra revenue for us… but that just didn’t happen in time. After agonizing over it for a few days, I decided it was important to make our February release date and that the game shouldn’t be delayed. So, I realize this is not ideal for everyone and I apologize that we didn’t do better but I wouldn’t say it was from lack of caring.

Rather annoying that the DRM-free version is being held back due to wanting to patch the game up first.

I’ll keep an eye on pirate sites, as I’m a little curious as to who will release it first. Money’s on the pirates.

No problem for me, really. Probably I missed something but I don’t understand how we opt for the DRM-free version vs Steam.

It say’s DRM-free on the store:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/starbound_storefront

Looking forward to the GOG version! :smiley:

Wrong link :smiley:

And he’s right, they pulled the DRM free, it’s steam only now

Grim Dawn is provided via Steam key for Windows. For key redemption, a free Steam account is required.

And in the platform section it now only lists Steam

please for the love of god tell me i’ll be able to buy the will o wisp or something eventually

i am so sad i didn’t back when you guys were on kickstarter

please take my money

Buying directly through the Humble store never got you a DRM-free copy.

This is the only way to get a DRM-free copy (yes, it is handled through Humble, but not quite the same as going through their store):
http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

Humble is not equal to gog when it comes to drm free. Gog has installers. Humble often just zips file and doesn’t update them. Please give an option to wait for gog’s release for backer based drm free copies.

Hmm. So that somehow makes a game less drm-free because you have to rightclick the file and unzip it?

Uhhhhhh I think I’m having an aneurysm. Call 911.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the response, but I disagree fundamentally on one point. There is not a February release for DRM-free supporters. Really only one of two versions is getting released in all likelihood before the end of the month, and this sets the precedent of delays in getting patches out for the DRM-free build that haven’t been addressed.
Due to the precedent it sets, it would be nice to have some reassurance that we’re not going to have to wait a week to play the most up to date version that steam users get off the bat. Or do I have to pirate the game to keep up with it?

Reading is difficult. It was for more than one reason. Having a nice installer and icon creation makes it look like we didn’t get sloppy seconds and actually seems semi professional. But that isn’t important, nor is getting updates apparently, to derp superfan on the internet.

Oh I assure you I read every last drop. Your words are like candy to me.

In the future try not to call me names please. Your own GoG Superfan status kinda makes you a hypocrite. Just a little bit.

It makes me sad that the attention makes you happy…but id rather you get it here than another mass shooting. Maybe admitting this embarassing fact on an internet video game forum will encourage to get yourself the help you need.

And you clearly didn’t read it because you ignored the lack of updates because it would have weakened your already weak argument. This is what people do when they know they have no argument and just crave attention.

I would think they would update whenever Crate pushes an update to Humble, no?

Nothing to ignore but I’ll take your advice and buy myself a nice home gym from the next infomercial I see to work on my weakness.

Seconded.
I mean no offense by it, but a similar game had just this sort of issues.
Dungeon Defenders promised a DRM free version and continued to use a micro release system for steam creating a multiplayer mismatch of versions error that persisted well after release.
This split the community and made customers who paid the exact same amount of money feel like they received a product that was Defective by design (http://www.defectivebydesign.org/).
To add insult to injustice they also had a multiplayer ladder system in the game, that only steam users we’re allowed access to.
They’re response to the reasonable end user requests to fix such issues with the game and forgive me it’s been a while since I have used this quote was that ‘90 percent of our sales came from steam’ so they we’re not going to bother.
Let me ask you… if you knew with the no-drm version you would pay the same amount for, but have half the game would you buy it over the inconvenience of running steam?

No it does not become a ‘like’ product, it is an inferior one; therefore it is instantly incomparable for statistical analysis.

I believe it entirely reasonable for the DRM free community to expect crate to have pushed harder to get a DRM Free version out & here’s the single biggest reason why.

Many of us also paid for early access as part of the rewards, but do not use steam. In essence you have taken money for a service you did not provide.
What is more you should of therefore had the funds for that period available as an incentive to get it sorted in line with the backer expectation of quick availability in the very least.

We’re not expecting a blemish free release, we are simply eager to play the game our combined revenue has enabled to be played by our first class digital brethren at steam for months.

No usually they resort to personalized attack strategies that our politicians favor so much.
It shifts focus from the actual issue to the credibility of the opponent by it’s basic function and so your response is a text book example of the personalized attack strategy.
This being exemplified by your statement that their argument is ‘already weak’ & that they just ‘crave attention’.

slow clap

Well, I’m a fan. Not everyday around here I meet someone with an actual real live brain.

I don’t agree with everything in your post preceding this but if you decide to run for office I’ll throw you a vote.

thanks for the honesty medierra, had no idea it was such a hassle behind the scenes. Although i am a loyalist package owner already, i will just buy Grim Dawn again on GOG just to show my further support. YOU guys are my favorite gaming company right up there with Beamdog :slight_smile:

Y’all need Jesus.

This is the first release of the game, it hardly sets a president. If the patches aren’t synced after they actually release the drm free version and the steam version, then you can freak out.

What do you want crate to do, hold back B31 and the release until they get the DRM free version running? That’s just stupid. We’d have been in a gigantic B30 drought. Fuck that.

I highly doubt the DRM and steam versions will have different patches going on. Dungeon Defenders isn’t run by Crate.

Entitled gamers, itt.:rolleyes: