Balancing Meme

I know, my response was earnest. I have nothing against you but do think you’d be aided by not letting your sense of self-reasonableness let you believe you’re more objective than you are (which is to say that you shouldn’t let yourself believe you’re capable of that level of objectivity because from my point of view NO human is able to be that objective in stuff like this). I also consider myself to be very reasonable but I’ve realized with games that there are many different opinions on what’s good, acceptable, balanced, how things should be and many of them aren’t inherently right or wrong. It’s because I like you that I’m always a bit put-off when I see you falling in the “dramatic reply” camp of voices because with just a little bit more thought you can probably figure out some potential reasons for the changes you disagree with/think don’t make sense.

1. Overtuned-ness is not a factor for your argument, I wasn’t saying it’s not a factor for consideration for future hotfix/balance changes. You were making the case that some of the changes don’t make sense. It being overtuned is not a factor. Z doesn’t have time to balance test everything, build making is time consuming and he’s very busy. Praetorians aren’t balance testers, we just try to find errors/bugs. Us giving little bits of balance feedback is secondary.

I said it wasn’t a factor because it’s easily addressable. It’s not something that “doesn’t make sense.” Z is only human, he can’t visualize the final performance of everything he introduces perfectly, and it’ll be tweaked as feedback comes in. Make a post about which shaman off-hands it makes obsolete and give some examples of performance and it’ll likely get tuned. But even then you should consider, to what extent is it making those other items “obsolete.” Are they stylish enough to see some use as off-meta funsy picks? Are other builds using them? A little item displacement here and there is fine, we’re more in agreement that if a new item suddenly makes another completely unusable by comparison then it deserves a look at least.

1. Valdun used to be under-powered, people complained. Now it’s over-powered. You can expect there will be changes in a hotfix to tone it down. I’d personally like to see purifier valdun gutted a bit and cadence tactician valdun improved. Piercing Cadence Valdun was always true valdun in my heart and in terms of a sniper theme. Again your initial point was that “buffing” explosive strike didn’t make sense but now you’re talking about valdun specifically and not ES. See the issue in your approach to consistency of thought and communication? Obviously Purifier Valdun is super over-performing now. It’ll be addressed, but that’s neither here nor there as to why Z made the ES strike change. The conversion factor and the consistency of dmg output are good things. So I have explained one reason it could make sense and just now you provided the other with the conversion point.

2. Suggest them in a thread. Again I’d like to see less drama from players and hyperbole and instead of civil calm expression of why they didn’t like a change and how they’d prefer to see it rebalanced instead. Shocking news, Z is likely to be more receptive to this kind of feedback. He tries to read through all feedback no matter how it’s given but he’s only human and earnest, polite, rational, thought out feedback is obviously going to take priority.

3. For SBoE you’d have to show me the builds and where they’re dying to get me on board.

4. “But we aren’t playing under these same older conditions” again see my point about acceptable disparities between builds. Some of us might think wider disparities in end-game performance with sets are more acceptable than the range of performance you’d like to see. Depending on what you can show me I can be reasoned with to come on board suggesting tweaks for them.

Not necessarily to be honest. But I agree deathguard getting some thoughtful bumps would be nice and welcome. I’m just saying one has to consider naturally synergetic combo’s that sets supports vs. the more converty weird stuff sets support. As for Deathguard, I wish you could see the list of things Z has to keep tabs on, the hours he puts in just out of care for the community since further balance stuff at this point in development is financially pointless from a business perspective given that they could just make more DLC/new games instead (this is objectively true).

Then on top of all that consider that for every piece of feedback Zantai gets he also probably has a lot of other voices telling him the exact opposite is true or what should be done. All of it makes sense. Some things fall through the cracks, some things are further down on his to-do-list, some things he forgets, some things under-perform or over-perform outside of his projections when he makes changes, etc. etc. etc.

As for you agreeing with my 7:30 point. That was more for builds going into damage. If truly immortal but super fucking slow tanks were a thing I wouldn’t mind their clear times being even higher if you could basically fall asleep and not die.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna get my popcorn for preparation when the set gets nerfed and threads claiming it’s dead start popping up. Those always give me a good laugh.

It really doesn’t change the fact that skills can be boosted regardless of a single set’s peformance. Because there are other sets and builds that use that skill.

Agreed as previously mentioned. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Well…it’ll for sure displace blood orb on all shamans using dark one’s set.

Currently, that’s the only competitive vit shaman build using an offhand that I can think of.

Right. I see how I’m conflating the 2 things.

Regardless…FS has received plenty of buffs directly and indirectly. Such a change is unwarranted IMO, especially when many other things could use a sprinkling of Z’s magic buff powder.

Yes, I try my best to abide by this. But I’m also only human too, and sometimes my saltiness gets the better of me.

Because it is discouraging when I spend hours testing stuff - even going so far as to trouble other veterans for their feedback - to build up a reasonable case, and to have it be completely ignored.

I don’t expect a response from Z, nor am I demanding for my suggestions to be implemented.

But it does get to me when strange balance changes like the ones mentioned in this thread occurs.

I can’t show you a build because there are no aether SBoE builds.

But it doesn’t have to be weird and converty? I’ve tried a deathguard dervish…and it wasn’t pretty.

Agreed.

I just quickly browsed through this thread,

ES does not see any conversion ever, correct? So…it`s only a few specific physical builds that see this profit.

and pierce.

If it’s displacing blood orb completely out of relevancy then that should be addressed. But ideally some evidence will have to be provided that it’s doing so and that blood orb has no other place of belonging. Blood Orb is a cool item so we definitely don’t want that to happen.

Then it becomes a question of 1. Does nerfing the new vit offhand or buffing blood orb bring back blood orb into relevancy? (nerf or buff depending on those builds performance) 2. Should the new vit off-hand be tweaks get some design shifts? 3. Or should blood orb get some new tweaks/design shifts? (shifts as opposed to just numerical stat buffs)

“Such a change is unwarranted IMO, especially when many other things could use a sprinkling of Z’s magic buff powder.” It would be good to just appreciate “unwarranted” buffs separately from being frustrated about things you think are over-due for one. At least that’s my approach. Back to the point about valdun. If the explosive strike buff is making multiple FS builds over-perform then I’d agree with you that it’ll be as simple as toning down the numbers on explosive strike, maybe adjusting Valdun on top of that. But if it’s just Valdun overperforming then the buff is somewhat irrelevant and Valdun could just use tuning.

Z can’t agree with any individual on everything, and he’s got a lot to consider. All we can do is make suggestions and see which end up sticking. Do you know how long I whined about PRM, DEE, AAR, TSS? Does anyone even fucking remember when those were all terrible compared to weapon damage builds? Things are better than ever in terms of skill type options that perform well enough.

Your “cases” aren’t ignored so much as disagreed with, or maybe forgotten because so much other feedback got into his head, or because you didn’t present it as well as you thought, or reasons 4, 5, 6, etc. Take nothing personally on the internet and try to adopt an attitude of “I’ll do what I can for the community and accept what I can’t control.” At least that’s my recommendation.

It doesn’t matter, you or someone else has to put together their best attempt at an aether SBoE build for it to get taken more seriously. Also there doesn’t even have to be an aether SBoE build in existence. Not every skill has to exist for every damage type etc. ( I don’t want to sound like I’m suggesting you were suggesting this, I’m just putting it out there to highlight that it’s not important whether or not aether SBoE exists so much as whether or not existing items trying to support aether SBoE are failing to do so)

Like I said, deathguard could probably use a bump but I haven’t played with it enough to know where to put the buffs.

Anyhoo I think I’ve run this conversation dry but I mainly wanted to show you how with very simple responses from me that took very little thought I showed you how “changes make no sense” suddenly become less glaring.

There’s a big difference between “I think these specific changes in the patch notes were mistakes Z because of these reasons: -reasons here-” and “Some of these changes make NO SENSE! I’m giving up on even trying at this point!” Additionally I think if more people earnestly tried to put themself in Z’s shoes they’d take a lot more of the nitty gritty specifics in the changelogs less seriously. This is an iterative process. Attempts at making specific things achieved in the meta often require multiple tweaks to hit a sweet spot that satisfies enough of the community.

Consider how I behave on the forum despite the fact that the game is way easier than I want it to be. If I gave feedback purely on what I’d want personally I’d have aimed more for nerfs to things back in Ashes of Malmouth to bring the over-performers in line as opposed to buffs to the weaker things. That’s where I liked things best. However I can still enjoy GD for what it is now (and do) and give feedback based on what the devs signal they’re going for.

Finally, as usual it’s the point in this link: Grim Dawn Version 1.1.5.0 that make it hard for me to take any outcry about the few nerfs seriously.

2 Likes

I’m going to set aside balance changes/suggestions and say this - Doom, I’m agreeing with you here.

But I hope you can likewise understand the occasional salty outburst from the community / me.

I played all the Dark One builds out there. My personal Cabalist will probably stick to Blood Orb to get full conversion. But it’s pretty close. For Shaman based casters new one it’s must. Wendigo Totem is really solid damage dealer and heals you out of your big health pool. Especially noticeable on Ritualist, where both masteries provides health boost.

But I don’t think it’s overpowered. Not much stats actually. Just the mod to Wendigo makes it OP in combo with Dark One set pieces.

For other stuff, we have to adapt to game changes as well. Now game is easier and also drop rate is higher. You have more challenges and speed is becoming bigger factor. So you have to take that into account, when discussing feedback. Just there are many fast and safe builds(great proof of diversity) and same time there are weak builds even with double rare MI’s and full sets. Like Deathguard for example.

So our job is to try give the best feedback we can. But it can’t be always impartial and purely objective, right?

I understand it, but also feel you’re the cause of your own salt, not Z. My example again being the difference between you just being disappointed/feeling a change is a mistake vs. taking it to the level of salt.

I feel like my writing style makes me come off as more militant or serious about this than I am. I was just having a light discussion with you about it because I felt you sticking to more constructive feedback could do a lot of good for future balance changes. I’m not saying to stop being salty, you’re entitled to feel however you feel and I don’t plan on getting on you about it again in the future if it happens again. It was just stuff for your consideration. I used to take all this stuff a lot more seriously but then Z suggested that I should consider taking a big step back and not let this stuff get to me. So I did. And it was a good move.

1 Like

Oh, I was never blaming Z for my salt.

I was merely expressing it :stuck_out_tongue:

The fact that it comes across as me blaming Z is what makes it a salty outburst

Can you think up an addition to blood orb that would make it good for another type of build without strengthening the builds it’s already good for? So it doesn’t compete have to compete with the new off-hand because it does something entirely for a specific different purpose.

Alternatively a different focus for the new off-hand that would be interesting to build around that doesn’t compete as much with blood orb but still fits the theme of the new item? Z may be open to these suggestions if they’re good.

I am really happy with the ill omen change. What more do people expect?

1 Like

I like DEE mod. The difference between new off hand vs Blood Orb is exactly the skill mods. CS/damage looks similar.

I actually have few other ideas with Blood Orb, one is vitality Opressor. Also don’t forget the elemental to chaos conversion. Chaos have other off hands and it’s in bad state, so you don’t see it often used. Still I would love to see chaos damage to some Occultist skill for example. Or skill mod to Guardians of Empyrion. But I still would say both off hands have spot under the sun. But don’t forget that vitality is in great state for casters currently.

So to me, except removal of Wendigo totem mod and maybe replacing it with another or add mod to Blood Orb, nothing else is needed.

Does armor piercing conversion actually affect this node? (I’ve never bothered to look)

You ought to consider suggesting these in ideas and feedback to make sure it gets his eyes, and state more specifically the “why” behind the suggestions. It may be a bit early to see what happens with the new off hand as build makers tinker with it, so don’t be afraid to reiterate these same points again a second time later if the same points seem to be true but aren’t addressed in an upcoming hotfix or patch.

1 Like

armor piercing affects anything with %WD

Thanks for the ideas!

I need to test more things until decide to make feedback threads about new patch. Still it’s new and I am overwhelmed with information, so might wait few weeks. I don’t want to sound to emotional or even unreasonable. Need to conduct few experiments first.

Because there’s an assload of Vitality gear in the game already.

It isn’t. In no universe is a buff to an underperforming node on an underperforming skill line a bad thing.

ES is affected by global conversion (AP included), but not conversion from Skill Modifiers.

Can anyone in this thread honestly state that if these skills (like Storm Box) were nerfed that they (you, writing a reply to this) wouldn’t be deserving of a whine corner of their own? Seems somewhat hypocritical.

I, for one, am quite happy that for the first time in my five years with GD, AAR and Mortars aren’t shit-tier (Mortar has come close a few times though). I admit that there were aspects of AAR I thought could be healthily nerfed (ADCTH) that were not, but I am not unhappy that the overall performance of these skills remains as it had been, and I say that as someone who literally can’t stand to play either playstyle anyways.

In regards to Morgoneth/“why are we getting more Vit gear when X is underperforming/underrepresented?” Sure, I agree that Vitality is the most well-supported damage type in the game and has been since before AoM. Sure, I agree that getting yet another Vitality set and two off-set pieces that seem very similar to the set is a little bit confusing. Sure, I would have loved for Morgoneth to be Lightning or Chaos themed. But it isn’t, and the entire dungeon and lore and worldbuilding has been set around this fairly thematic Vitality-based creature, so it’s only fitting that we get such a set, and I think it’d be unreasonable to suggest that all of this be redesigned in favor of something else.

Because stormbox is the last good offensive skill Inquisitor has. I can understand if crate Nerf its item mod, but in this patch, even its base skill got nerfed.

Stormbox Nerf may not really be felt if you only use it to support strong skill like totem or mortar or canister or AAR; but I use stormbox to support underperforming skill like blade fucking trap and item skill like obliteration, and a fucking stormserpent set. The nerfs can be felt clearly.

And as always, zantai said that if the nerfs are affecting end game performance whatsoever, we can report to unnerf it. Then if I report that my cruci clear time is slower by 30-45sec and make it less safe because it kill slower, predictably he and you guys will scoff that off.

But it’s ok, just need to explore all those new OP things and make another sub 6 minutes build.

We found the heretic! Let us activate our mob mentality and cast this non-believer out of these lands!

On a serious note, i am glad it’s for Vitality DEE, which is one of the last vitality setups that needs more stuff to work better. The Wendigo Totem support was completely unnecessary in my opinion, specially when it makes Dark One even better.