Best chaos FoI build?

Hi guys! 1.1.5 is around the corner and I’m excited to get back in. Gonna make a new char and since I don’t have a FoI char yet, have decided on chaos FoI. It has to be a deceiver, not purifier, mage hunter or paladin.

After reading a bit and doing my own grimtools tinkering, there are 3 major variants I can find:

1. complete Voidsoul
  2. complete Black Flame
  3. 2/4 Black Flame + Solael’s Devourer

Full Black Flame is obviously the tankiest variant but variant 1 and 3 both have close to 100% wpn dmg. Can someone familiar with chaos FoI please give me a rundown on these different builds?

I probably won’t be allocating points to the secondary skills on those sets (SoC or doombolt) and focusing only on the passives/buffs/debuffs and utility for my skillpoints.

If it’s a Chaos FoI Deceiver you want, then here’s @sir_spanksalot bringin’ the Supah Hot Fiah! :fire: :fire:

1 Like

This is an all purple set up which runs surprisingly better: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2dJbDQZ

Best chaos FoI would probably be ya1’s though

Mine clears 170 in about 7:30 - 8min

1 Like

There are the upcoming relevant changes in 1.1.5.0 per Zantai:

2 Likes

Maybe you should change the build thread to Not Supah Hot Fiah! then… :thinking:

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The strongest FoI itself would probably be Voidsoul purifier - because of rr and extra fire flat and cast speed - but I didn’t test it. The best all-round is paladin followed by deceiver. Surprisingly, deceiver isn’t that good because Voidsoul Doombolt is very bad, and despite loads of chaos flat occultist provides no rr (amulet slot often used for extra chaos rr is taken by FoI wpn dmg conduit).

Here’s a link to my paladin: [1.1.4.1] Devoid Of Soul, In Need Of Buff - Voidsoul FoI/Aegis Paladin (c+) (sr+) Deceiver might be better after the patch, though, as FoI is getting a big wpn dmg facelift.

Why Voidsoul and not Black Flame? Voidsoul got great mods and procs, and Vampirris is a great weapon that Black Flame blocks. HUGE advantage of Black Flame is the offhand and cdr. Shield on chaos is stupid. You’re desperate for that cdr for DG and Abomination uptime.

2 Likes

@ya1: Have you tried running it in 1.1.4.2? I have no idea how/why your spec is faster than mine. Not that it matters if it is/isn’t, I’m just baffled and would like to understand the reason behind it.

Wow, I just read the inquisitor buffs and those WoP buffs are just so sexy from a QoL PoV. I hope Big Z will give CoF a similar treatment as well.

Trying out FoI with a stashed char and ugh its just so slow and the cone is pretty narrow. Feels like even stun jacks have better range with a wider spread.

From the stats, it looks like Voidsoul is the winner but I’ll play with it some more to be certain.

Yeah, I hear that a lot… :sunglasses:

Lol it’s the mods. Mods from Voidsoul give almost as much chaos as the base skill at 26. And rr. And Aegis. And more oa and crit dmg. Also, Voidsoul got energy cost redux so you don’t have to waste resources on energy. Furthermore, lots of adcth so I can skip Ghoul and Bat for more dmg devos like Fiend. Voidsoul is a pretty good set, and I suspect it’s gonna be a strong mid-tier after the patch. Now it’s still held back by FoI general crappiness (and the cdr, PLEASE GIVE VOIDSOUL CDR).

Stacking chaos flat in the vacuum is often counter intuitive. Chaos builds have the biggest wpn dmg in the game and still are some of the slowest.

2 Likes

have you compared the base WD though? I also have more RR than you do with black flame helm

Voidsoul has 15%

True, still though. I have 3x the WD you do, and 18% more WD on FoI.

Not to mention far higher %chaos/vit and even vit RR from vulnerability (e.g. my %chaos before DG is about 150% higher than yours with DG up)

I just don’t understand :confused:

I just did. Same results as last patch. 7:10 with ok mutators but with Benns and Reapers all the time.

I got 62k total on FoI tooltip and over 200k on Aegis with all buffs. Max values. In main game. Maybe this would give you a clue?

Thanks for checking for me mate. Appreciate it.

Tool tip for solael’s devourer shows 66k sheet 2 DPS. While this DPS isn’t amplified by maxed infernal purge, the DPS isn’t that much greater.

Perhaps aegis does more for the build than you think?

Even if it’s 1 cast every 4s, it’s 50k DPS.

Infernal purge is imo worth maxing. 2% crit and %dmg (that %fire counts as %chaos with the transmuter) and some minor vitality DoT per point. So is Deadly Aim worth softcapping, imo on every build.

I’m not talking about DPS on the first page. The skill dmg tooltip on the second page. Where you see the breakdown of how much dmg of each type you deal with one hit.

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about too. My sheet 1 DPS is ~270k

Will try maxing infernal purge

After playing with all 3 variants, I like Voidsoul variant the best. The massive innate lifesteal is just so good. The energy cost reduction and regen in the set also gives it a good QoL. Black Flame variants quickly run out of energy and don’t feel as punchy. Here’s what I came up.

Unfortunately, FoI is just not fun to play with. :frowning: I’ve yet to finish ultimate act 4 and AoM with this char and I keep thinking I should just play AAR instead. Its the completionist in me that’s keeping me going.

Comparing AAR to FoI is akin to comparing an actual atom bomb to an adam_bomb :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes