Demotivation on hitting L100

A bit off topic from the thread but as it’s mentioned and while I don’t have chars at that level it’s a “thing” in most ARGP’s that does put me off playing any char beyond a point. I’m not one the, less that 10% of players that even reach ultimate, let alone “finish” the campaign and I really doubt that I ever will. I’m more the semi casual player that hates multiple runs through the same area with different difficulties.

I’ve been gaming since the 70’s and it seems to be the way things are in ARGP’s that you get a real slow down of gaining any levels at higher levels (or you have the abysmal D3 unlimited levelling ) and reduction of skill points etc, which is off putting enough to continue to start with… AND you still end up with a completed char well before finishing the game and as Medea says, what’s the point continuing when the only slight improvement you can get is maybe a better roll on a bit of gear and that’s it. There’s hardly anything new to be seen (few secret ultimate only areas) and nothing to do to improve your char.

Guild Wars 1 was wonderful in that it could be played almost completely solo, self found, but once you hit level 20, with most of the map still uncovered, that was the end of any levelling or improvements to your char… and I stopped playing once I hit 20 and realised just how much was left to do with not a single real improvement to be had for the char.

This isn’t a go at Crate as it’s how the genre goes, it’s just as a whinge at the genre really and the way it works. :wink:

I’ve not played that many RPGs and finished only Two Worlds a few times, Kingdom of Amalur once and 8 times with TQIT. All of my TQIT toons finish in the early 60s levelling as I only play straight through and don’t farm and even in the LoC mod when my Avenger finished at 73 it was nowhere near the level cap since Bumbleguppy increased it to 99 for that mod (did speed run Legendary though). Never finished the full Xmax mod so that might take me all the way up to the old L75 cap, but not sure it would do so for the L85 expansion level. Levelling for me worked out at finish Normal around 40-41, Epic around 55 and Legendary 60-62 so a real slowdown in levelling at the higher difficulties. GD is much better for this I think, I’ve certainly never thought “when am I going to hit the next level?” while playing.

Like you I don’t get many toons into latter difficulties since I’m always trying out new builds, but hitting that level cap has thrown me quite a bit. I’m hoping I can work through the demotivation and that it’s just a case of getting used to the game being like that. Playing through 3 times doesn’t really bother me so much, but then again that might be because I so rarely manage to do it. :eek:

What about the hidden ultimate AoM quest - don’t you want to try that? You probably did, but you are writing as if you give up once you hit 100 or earlier, - before Malmouth.
For me it is also demotivating a bit, but then there’s some gearing up to do or at least trying to figure out how to improve my char to go through the crucible.
Or try some HC build to raise the adrenaline. Have you tried that?As for the OP, thanks for the tips, I read them some time ago. The compendium on the forum is very good, I still have a lot to learn. I am more used to D2 kind of Hack’n’slah or Skyrim type of games. D3 bore me eventually, while GD seems so much more promising.

I haven’t even done the first one yet. :eek: So yes, both are possible though I have the feeling my Conjurer isn’t up to successfully completing the first one.

Crucible isn’t my thing, though I do own it. I find it boring.

Hardcore? Possibly, but most of my builds are pretty simple ones and I have plenty of deaths chalked up with my softcore toons.

I’m not even sure it’s an adrenaline thing for me really. The only time I got really excited about defeating a foe ingame was when I first brought down Typhon in TQIT years ago. That had me dancing around the room with joy because my builds up till then had been so bad I never stood a chance of defeating him. I get satisfaction from defeating the big bosses certainly, but nothing like that - it was a one time only thing.

I also haven’t finished a character in Ultimate yet, but I think my current char has the best chances.
My first char (pet-conjurer) either got stuck or boring somewhere in Elite, I don’t remember, I haven’t loaded her up in a long time.
My second char (2h-warder) got until after Steps of Torment in Ultimate, but I got Crucible around the same time, and I played it a lot with him, maybe that’s why I got bored eventually.
My current one (pet-cabalist, first one with AoM) is at Darkvale Gate in Ultimate, and still going strong. I hope she’ll make it. She hit level 100 somewhere in Act 1 ultimate, I think. Then I farmed Cronley’s Gang and fought Fabius once, and now I’m more or less farming Kymon’s Chosen a Fort Haron with bounties while slowly progressing.

Typhon in TQIT is an interesting point. I don’t feel like the main bosses in GD are very difficult, but maybe that’s because I’ve collected a lot of items in my playthroughs and have no problem capping my defenses. Both Loghorrean and Theodin felt like pushovers on Veteran and Elite, though Theodin was only with pets so far, so no idea how difficult he is with other builds. But I think I could almost face tank Loghorrean with my Warder. He had some problems with the Mad Queen, and I didn’t manage to kill Ravager or Mogdrogen with any character yet, but my point is that the main bosses feel too easy, with no real sense of achievement.

Comparing that to TQIT, both Typhon and Hades required a lot more. Sure, there’s chars that killed them without much problems too, like my Conqueror back then, but apart from maybe Dactyls and Toxeus, they were the most difficult enemies the game had to offer, and you felt it. Also, I think the Typhoon fight was a lot more interesting and had better atmosphere than Loghorrean, lots of different attacks, and some deadly thorns which could make you kill yourself if you didn’t pay attention. Loghorrean? Yeah, he is disgusting and vomits at you and has tentacles and some other spawns, but it’s in a dark cave, you barely see his effects and different attacks, and he doesn’t even move. The soundtrack of the fight was also better in TQIT I think, I don’t remember any special soundtrack for the Loghorrean fight.

Don’t get me wrong, I love GD, but those boss fights are a bit lacking. And that may be a reason why people get bored at level 100 - Why try to finish Ultimate just to kill a boring boss when I can just start a new char and get a new experience?
Ok, as I said, I didn’t actually finish Ultimate yet, so maybe it’s a lot harder than I expect, but from what I saw from Ultimate bosses so far, it doesn’t seem likely. Or maybe it’s just the fact that I have a lot of good gear already, maybe I should do a fresh start sometime, Hardcore would be a good place to do that without having to mess with save files.

As early as Act 1 Ultimate, um. I can see with the new expansion that is quite likely even if you don’t farm, could possibly be even late Epic if you throw in a few bounties to get rep for some of the faction quests. And we’ve no idea how many extra quests/faction quests we’re going to get with FG yet.

At the moment the solution I’m sort of trying is to do just the quests and stop exploring everywhere. But that seems a shame when there’s always the possibility of some nice loot hiding in an out of the way bone pile/chest/etc.

I think a lot of the differences between the bosses in the two games is that Crate have been able to fine tune them a bit after release if needed - which wasn’t possible with TQIT. The Typhon fight was actually changed for the IT expansion which made him more difficult than in the base game.

Ok, I should mention that I farmed a lot of reputation with bounties to get all main game faction up to Revered before Veteran Loghorrean. That was with all reputation bonuses except for Death’s Vigil, where I only got the 50% bonus starting with Honored. For AoM I farmed where necessary to get to Honored by the end of Veteran. Don’t know if that made a big difference, but after Veteran AoM, I was overleveled for a while in Elite and didn’t get that much XP because of it.

I think I’m a bit OCD when it comes to exploring. I just can’t leave a part of the map unexplored, and as you say, there could be a good drop hiding in there…

Hmm, yeah, I read that a lot of bosses in GD are a bit too hard on first appearance, and then they are nerfed a bit. But I never played right after release of new content so far, so I never saw that myself. I think TQIT bosses were fine and didn’t need much fine tuning. GD main bosses could be a bit harder, but at least we have Nemeses and Super Bosses for a bigger challenge. But as I said, the easy main bosses could be a problem of my super geared chars.

Edit: Maybe a good idea would be to just drop Elite. I don’t think many people would miss it. We’d probably need a few more devotion shrines, but they could be in FG.

I haven’t reached lvl100 on any of my characters. For me, demotivation starts kicking in after finishing veteran. Not a big fan of 3 difficulties setup. I still try but somewhere along the way I just want to try out a new build :frowning: Maybe one day I will beat the game on Ultimate, just need a build that will keep me invested, I guess.

I think it’s rare for them to fine tune the bosses in the game nowadays, occasionally Crucible bosses get a tweak. Usually they do a lot of testing themselves before it gets handed over to the playtesters. I know Zantai’s said several times when people have complained a boss is too hard that they should have experienced it when the devs first made it so they do get toned down long before we ever see them. Playtesters then give their feedback and if adjustments are felt needed will be done then.

Zantai said in the last stream they are considering possible changes to the difficulties.

“Will the 3 difficulty issue be addressed in Forgotten Gods or any time soon?
We shall see. We have some ideas. We’ll have to see how they turn out and whether we go through with them.”

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69297

Yes, I read that, I try to keep up with the news on the expansion :slight_smile: Hopefully, they do make it work, whatever they have planned. If not in FG, then maybe in GD2 (which I really want to happen :D)

I think everyone does. :slight_smile: But I can also understand their desire to try something different. As Medierra’s said and Zantai too they’ve been doing this for a long time and people get burnt out and bored doing the same thing all the time. Plus it’s not good for the company to rely on only one game/project however successful it may be. It also makes better use of the team’s time if there are different projects in different stages of completion, otherwise there isn’t always enough work for everyone and again people get bored and look for a new job elsewhere.

This is the biggest issue this game has, for me.
But it occurs after I get the 55 Devotion limit and around level 94, where I can equip all the items and following skill points and atributes are not that important (only 6)

I can understand that. If they feel like doing GD2 but want to work on other projects first and return to it later, refreshed, then I don’t mind waiting :slight_smile:

PS. Sadly, the city builder that appears to be their next project is not my thing. Hopefully, they have something else in plans too :slight_smile:

guild wars was unique in having more than a thousand different unique skills, much more like a trading card game than a rpg, i reached 20 in a couple of days then i played for years trying new builds expecially for the bots, all solo. gw2 was a total disappointment, just the usual shitty mmo.

plus you just needed to play like 1% of the content to reach max level, stopping playing after that makes no sense. it’s like d3 now, you can reach max level after 1 hour of play but d3 has absolutely terrible “endgame” while gw had tons of different things you could do, team arena, factions arena, heroes arena, random arena, guild wars, tons of unique and innovative pve content i completely ignored while unlocking skills the hard way with pvp points.

It all depends on the goals you have, I suppose. Once you reach’em, the game is boring. The way out, for at least is either find new goals or a new game/another form of entertainment - until sth raises my interest enough to go back to the game. My goal now is to beat all game content, so crucible 170th wave and the last hidden boss. Then I will either do another char or wait for FG expansion…
Or, there is this mod fo Skyrim being made, so who knows :wink:

Same here, I end up somewhere near the end of veteran and the thought of running the same content with the same char and with reduced resistances… not happened yet especially as there’s nothing in elite.

I’ll be honest, I am always getting demotivated upon hitting 94, building my character as planned and reaching 1 level. It’s mostly because I don’t know how to play this particular character in Homestead in Elite difficulty and I rush for what I’ll rush at level 94, or just because my build is shit and I have to chage it. That makes me make another character and repeat everything. xD

But still, I come back to my characters and play them because they’re mostly fun.

I don’t get it really, the number of the posts would suggest that you are very much into the game and play it like a madman, till 100 each char… :wink:
Or maybe it’s just the folks on the forum it’s so nice to talk to? :slight_smile: No offense, just surprised. It’s a particular one game forum after all. I was even more surprised to read Medea’s post. That’s sort of thing I didn’t quite expect.
Me, if i get bored with the game, I’ll disappear from the forum from a while I guess. Until I get back to the game again, at least I will once FG appears. And for now, I still have my goals not reached. :slight_smile:

That’s the main thing. So long as you’re having fun it doesn’t really matter if you get to the end of Ultimate or not, at least that’s the way it is for me. Yes, it’s an achievement and nice to do, but so long as I’m having fun trying my motivation is high. :smiley:

Edit… no offence taken :smiley:

As it happens Crate are the best dev’s I’ve had the pleasure of being involved with (been in a lot of closed testing in various games over the years) and this is one of the best forums I’ve been on (including my own for GD mods…lol), I’m very much into the game but I just play a lot of different chars they just don’t always get that far before I wonder how xzy build would work, Also I don’t have much time to spend playing, but it’s easy to leave the forum open and hop on and answer questions here and there and help out if possible while I’m busy doing other things… Hope that sort of makes sense :smiley: