Dutch translation

If you are interested, I could dedicate my time to creating a Dutch translation of the game. I’ve got a little under 10 years professional experience in my bi-lingual pair (EN-NL) and am familiar with the quirks translating software strings.

Just let me know if Dutch is a language you would like to add. I know it’s a less common tongue but is still spoken in a decent amount of locations.

Dutch might be interesting for some people.
But although I am from The Netherlands I never play games in Dutch if the language is available. On the other hand it might be nice for the what younger players from our country.

Hmm… point - although I don’t think Grim Dawn would be particularly suited for players too young to understand enough English anyway.

Anyway, it’s an offer. I understand the very limited target audience; depends on how many people would prefer a game like this in Dutch. l10n for a small handful of people would indeed not be a very good thing to do :wink:

I’m from the netherlands as well. And the reason there are so few dutch translations is because it is a horrible language. I’ve never seen a movie, tv episode, music, games or anything else that survived a translation. Because when you translate it into dutch the words needed will make it sound really childish or destroy the jokes made. Remember those game shows that always said “spellen/spelletjes” instead of games? It made me feel not taken seriously.

So to make a translation work you need to keep so many english words it isn’t worth the effort. Besides…We’re grown up with multi languages from a very young age. Bombarded with english…and the dutch people use these days is so bastardized it is mostly english with some incomprehensible nigger crap thrown in.

In short. No translations please.

Not sure about the demand. Well, I guess the question is more, if you want there to be a Dutch translation. Given the audience a Dutch translation might not be worth the effort.

I think a Danish colleague at work recently made a similar remark about Danish translations and that he, too, prefers the original.

On a side note I think you guys in smaller / multilingual countries are at an advantage, because you have the opportunity to practice English and / or other languages. Here in Germany we are spoiled by having anything translated and often in a high quality. The downside is a rather high threshold to use foreign languages.

Some more good points made - I guess it’d be wasted effort for Dutch, considering all countries where it’s spoken have multi-lingual cultures.

Personally, I’ve never liked localized versions of computer programs in Dutch, either, but thought I’d offer, anyway! I gather it’s the difference between games and productivity applications (where l10n is much more common)…

Just wanted to let you all know I already started a Dutch translaten for my little cousin, so he will understand the game slightly better.

This is how I also made the translation, only my cousin is older and he didn’t learn English because he skipped classes in order to perfect his wheelies…

Now, I agree with Gibly very much, in that anyone who has been using a computer for 5-10 years has a fundamental knowledge of English, and that the real thing is not easily reproduced in any language [O.T. Someone told me you have a very strange word for stone pavements in Netherlands, childrens’ heads if my memory serves me right:)]

However, when you see someone drooooooling over the screen longing to play, and then looking like a puppy trying to spell words and make out what a skill does, you have to spare them. Not having a latin alphabet is also detrimental, as one cannot even approach the word phonetically. They perceive it as just weird symbols:undecided:

I don’t really know how much work unicode support is, but I think it is valuable for this. Customisation. I expect the game to be English only on release, as to guarantee a certain style in writing and expression. A translation has to be checked as a seperate release in order to get an official stamp of approval. I can assure you that many games that featured a google translation made some people frustrated. Because of what Gibly said: “Why insult me by giving me an abomination of a translation if I can play the English version as is?”

In short the way I see it is this. No matter the demand, if Unicode support is there, and the English version is the official master (for people to see and appreciate npcs, weapons, places, stories etc), one can customise the game without “damaging” it, client side, where it matters the least.

Thanks for this response.

And Gibly I know a Dutch translation Dutch is horrible most of the time. But while translating I came across some phrases that didn’t sound half bad in Dutch.

I myself also wouldn’t use the translation. But if I can help help only my cousin with it, it’s worth my time.

i don’t think we need a translation of grim dawn in dutch, it is kinda unnecessary. But if some people ask for it why not, i guess?

It is mostly uncontrolled since I used wordpad to change the text, so it is prone to errors. And I wouldn’t advise using it if you’re able to understand the original English text, since Dutch translations are always awkward, but hey.

An update for b16.

An update for build 17.
I’ve added some gender support, and did some spell checking.
Did a quick check ingame (for the first time) and noticed that some labels are too long. So I should fix them when I have time again.

For those downloading this file, I would gladly hear your feedback.

An update for B18.
Also some adjustments to make all text display as characters and updated text to fit to the main windows and menus.

An update for B19.

Whaaat? That someone must have been stoned.

In dutch stone pavements is called ‘stoep’ or ‘steen bestrating’.
Both meaning stone pavement / stone road and nothing else.

Although there is a certain type of stone model used in pavements called ‘kinderkopjes’.
Which means little children heads, but that doesn’t mean stone pavements.
But even the real word for that is ‘Kassei’ not ‘kinderkopjes’.

EDIT: Fixed some typo’s.

Yes, that’s the one! Kinderkopjes or something. I’m always fascinated by idioms, or how people transcend “proper” language in order to communicate more directly. Nice stuff.

An update for B20

An update for B21

An update for B23