Forgotten Gods Boss Talk

1. A boss that does several types of elemental damage like fire, aether, chaos, lightning, bleeding, pierce and physical DPS.

2. Chases you around and doesn’t sit in one spot unlike Kra’Vall.

3. Has reasonable health and not like ravager, lokarr and mogdrogen’s substantially large health pool that is a chore to bring down but having similar damage to ravager’s truck hits and Gargabol, Heart of the Wild for example.

4. Forces you to have max resistance for several type of elemental damage and even some physical resistance.

5. Is NOT a gimmick fight unlike Mad Queen and has the ability to allow for most builds to kill such a boss.

6. Is not that slow like Gargabol, Heart of the Wild and not as fast as Reaper of the Lost but has similar speed to Ekket’Zul, Progenitor of Darkness and Gabal’Thunn the Visage of Madness.

7. Can attack you from long range distances and chase you with range attacks if you run too far from it within its vicinity like Commander Lucius does.

8. Is in a unique location/secret location like The Sentinel, Lokarr and clone fight.

9. DOES NOT have minions unlike Lokarr.

10. Is relatively tall and intimidating looking and may even be hovering/flying.

This is the type of hard boss I would like to see at least once in the Forgotten Gods expansion DLC.

Attachment: D2-Arcane-Sanctuary-Necromancer-hleOJna.jpg
Attachment: TQIT-Tower-of-Judgment-60-60.jpg

You are a godsend.! cool thread!

My hope and divine prayers that Crate delivers a memorable boss, one that inspires fear and dread in all the living:cool:

My personal wishes: a corrupted celestial being with at least 4 phases.

First 3 phases ( his own corrupted form of the three witch gods). Highlighting their powers in all three phases. . This way different types of damage types are covered.

Last phase: reveals his true ugly form and in full deadly power. like a demon butcher or demon king of sort.

also:
a. must have minions except in last form
b. must be mobile, fast unkitable in last form.
c. must have at least one hit ko power
d. must use environmental damage
e. battle may move to different location.
f. has cool boss music
g. no Ulgrim involved this time
h. proper conclusion this time or a proper cliffhanger with dialog or cinematic ( optional)

this is the only kind of boss that deserves to end in the hands of the mighty holydin.:cool:

I wanted a write a detailed response to both of you, but screw that. Let’s just say we don’t share preferences. Zeus is about boring stat checks and biasing the boss towards kite casters/DoT builds, while critico is about divine stuff.

well we’d love to hear your thoughts Stupid D! . together lets make GD bosses great again:cool:

c. must have at least one hit ko power

Thank god you are not involved with the development of any kind and the devs believe this bullshit shouldn’t be in the game. One hit KOs is one of the laziest ways to add “challenge” and it completely devalues gear in a game all about gear.

What is the point of gathering gear if an attack is going to kill me regardless? If you want one hit kills, go play bullet hell games.

ok sorry I must have forgot to add some words in there. "Must have one hit ko power to those players who dont gather their gear and resistances properly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just admit it, you wanted an one hit ko regardless of gear. :stuck_out_tongue:

You do realize this describes most boss attacks right?

If you take a crit with your resists debuffed to under 60 its usually lights out.

I think the boss does a resistances check, and if you don’t have max resistances in all of them, your character is immediately killed.

It then does this check after it uses an ability that reduces one of the character’s resistances (chosen at random) by -50%; if your resistance falls below max, your character dies.

The boss should also have a large radius slow that reduces the character’s move by 125%.

The boss will not telegraph any of its abilities.

If you haven’t killed the boss within one minute, your character dies.

The boss’s speed is +250% and is not affected by any debuffs. In fact, if a debuff is used, the boss’ resistances are boosted by +250%.

The boss crits every single time.

If the character has selected Paladin as one of its two classes, then the damage dealt is multiplied by 2,000%, the characters resistances are all reduced to 0, and the character is killed.

The boss always hits.

The boss has a global damage reduction of 80%, and resistances of 99%.

It constantly regenerates 80% of its health.

It has life and energy leach of 50% that is a large area of effect, like the slow.

It disables all of the character’s auras.

A.k.a. lazy mode.
Let´s make it 30 seconds, and you permantly loose a randomly chosen gear piece. Just to add at least some challenge to the fight, okay?

I love the idea of random gear destruction from bosses. Would be even better if boss could permanently drain hp/atributes like in old roguelike dungeoncrawlers.

You are correct! We should reduce it to 20 seconds. The random gear starts at Legendary and works down the hierarchy of gear levels.

1. While I adore the concept of archetype bias, I believe bosses need something against every archetype. Sheer stats tend to counter melee, speed counters ranged turning them into melee and bullet hell, minions and movespeed slow effects counter kiters to certain degree.
  2. Awareness checks as opposed to stat checks. If a boss drops fumble pools you can move out from or charges a powerful blast for a couple of seconds giving you time to move out or has RR ability on long cooldown that you could bait first - good. The game should reward the experience as much as stats.

You guys are going about this all wrong. Cairn has guns. We need a sniper boss who one-shots you from three screens away. Bonus points for crate if they change the death message to “HEADSHOT!” with the announcer from Unreal Tournament.

I have two potential problems with awareness checks.

1. You can a lot of flashy effects obscuring the screen and making it difficult to see when you need to react. GD isn’t as bad as some games out there coughMaplestory, but it can become just a swirl of colors sometimes.
  2. Reaction time. It’s a fine line between a blast that charges quick enough to challenge fast players and one that is too fast for slow players.

I agree with the sfx madness as I too sometimes have problems understanding what happens on the screen. One can reduce particle density in setting to alleviate the effect if he doesn’t feel comfortable.

Still I don’t advocate for 1HKO telegraphed attacks. It should still be very possible to compensate with gear. I just think that small opportunities for smarter movement should cut some slack on gear checks, allowing slightly more glassy builds.

I misunderstood what you meant. I agree.

This is already in the game: it’s called Hardcore Mode. Go play that if you need to permanently lose shit for the high crime of not spoiling the hell out of the game for yourself.

I wonder what form we’ll get this time? Tentacles and fleshly parts have been done already:eek:

Could have sworn Zantai placed a post mentioning the boss location will be something very unique.
Can’t find it anymore.

Here’s hoping for something along the lines of this:

This is fantastic! I wish I had time to study this bizarre dimension!

Or this: