Forum Formatting

Hi, I’m MMM, and I was a member and that seems to have lapsed … anyway, this is something I posted over on Boundless’ discourse forums ( see note ) and it’s simply a guide for advanced forum formatting options.

Do try Boundless.

It’s on sale right now and it’s like a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better version of Minecraft.
… on LSD.
… and mushrooms.

Just don’t join for MMO reasons at the moment as the ( totally amazing ) community is currently very small.

The Forum System - discourse

The Grim Dawn discussions forums use the discourse.org forum system to give it that sleek look. **discourse** basically say that if you want to format your text you can use:

Markdown, BBCode, or HTML to format.

However it’s never always that straight forward, and not everyone knows some or any of those things, so maybe here this can help a bit with the options that aren’t in the formatting bar, or perhaps aren’t so obviously available up there.

Formatting

This list isn’t exhaustive (yet), but to start you off, what follows are a few formatting tricks to do things that you thought might have been included but aren’t.

Table of Contents

HTML Anchors

Unfortunately for full HTML anchor linking to work, discourse needs to not strip ID attribute tags from a header’s input. So you can’t use id or name in your header tags like I have throughout this and have that mean anything.

BBCode Anchors & Links

So that means that BBCODE’s anchor and link tags ( [aname=name]text[/aname] anchor names and [jumpto=name]text[/jumpto] internal links ) are the simplest way to do things.

Most discourse & markdown formatting work (header ### tags, bold * stars, etc.) and some HTML:

[aname=abovez]Return example[/aname] is where the return link will come back to.

This will *jump* to *[jumpto=htmlTabzo]HTML Tables[/jumpto]*.

<sub> [aname=htmlTabzo]Link for[/aname] example [jumpto=abovez]above[/jumpto].</sub>

Return example is where the return link will come back to.

This will ‘jump’ to HTML Tables.

HTML & Markdown Links

You can use HTML or Markdown links to jump to a pre-defined anchor.

Type

Code

Example

HTML

<a href="#htmlTabzo">link</a>

Markdown

[HTML Tables](#htmlTabzo)

Center or Right Align Text

Ensure there is one line above and below the content that you wish to align, and above + below the `
` tags. Also, ensure that you've uploaded imagery that might be intended for the aligned content first, as I've seen issues there, sometimes needing to edit in aligning tags after the effect:
This allows you to place your text or images ...
<div align="center">

... in the centre / center of the post.

</div>

**SEE!**

This allows you to place your text or images …

… in the centre / center of the post.

SEE!

Headings

I’m using these in this very post, and we’re already on a second level. To use headings, place #'s at the start of the line.

#'s Heading Level
# Main
## Second
### Third
#### Fourth
##### Fifth
###### Sixth

Tables

Discourse Tables

The above maybe make you wander about putting a basic table in a post, you can copy and paste from an excel/gSheet document and it should intepret it, but you can also do this:

|row 1|column 2|
|---|---|
|row 2|column 2|
|row 3|column 2|
|row 4|column 2|
header 1 header 2
row 2 column 2
row 3 column 2
row 4 column 2

If you want to align columns in particular ways, utilise that second row accordingly:

|:---|:---:|---:|
header 1 header 2 header 3
left centre right

HTML Tables

Link for previous BBCode example above.

You can also use HTML table syntax to make a table, seen here making a lovely gallery from @powbam’s screenshots:

<div align="center">

<table><tr><td>

![uy29Mdg|300x500,50%](upload://cN5NkY432e483J9Bn4N3SY7q16X.png)

</td><td>

![jbxzhy5|302x500,50%](upload://awsRqpQ8TlpNGq5My5mhVzZk6gg.png)

</td></tr></table>

</div>

You can use the HTML tags previously mentioned within the table to make things more interesting, like centering only certain cells.

Superscript / Subscript

This is pretty simple actually:

<sup>Superscript</sup>

<sub>Subscript</sub>

Strikethrough

You can strikethrough with a double squirlygig:

~~strikethrough~~

… or use some BBCode to get Strikethrough:

[s]Strikethrough[/s]

Email Links

I believe that the URL button should do this, but if you want to adding an email link (like [email protected]) by hand use:

[email][email protected][/email]

Lists

You might not realise but there's more that you can do with lists ...
  • You Don’t Need To Number Your ‘Ordered’ Lists
  • Indented Number or Bullet Lists
  • Different List Types

You Don't Need To Number Your Lists

but you should

Basically, if you start each list line with a number one, it will automatically work out what you’re doing, I’ve done so in the next section as an example.

Indented Number or Bullet Lists

The easiest way to remember how to indent additional levels is to place four more spaces from where the * would usually be:

* First level bullet #1
    * Second level bullet
        * Third level bullet
* First level bullet #2
  • First level bullet #1
    • Second level bullet
      • Third level bullet
  • First level bullet #2
1. First level numbered #1
    1. Second level numbered #1
        1. Third level numbered #1
        1. Third level numbered #2
    1. Second level numbered #2
1. First level numbered #2
  1. First level numbered #1
    1. Second level numbered #1
      1. Third level numbered #1
      2. Third level numbered #2
    2. Second level numbered #2
  2. First level numbered #2

The actual system is: Whatever your first indent is, add again for further indents, but remembering 4 spaces is easier.

Different List Types

It doesn’t appear that it’s possible without addons. However, you can use the code spacing to do the job, albeit more messily:

`a.` Coffee
`b.`  Tea
`c.`  Milk

a. Coffee
b. Tea
c. Milk

Horizontal Rule

Just place three `***` or `---` on a line with a line of space on either side.

Fonts

Size, Colour, and Font Face

Here you can see a combination of `size`, `color` ( *steaming that HTML lost the 'u'* :wink: ), and an actual change of `font`:
<font face="Comic sans MS" size="7" color="red">Text</font>

Text

Other font stuff

This is just some other stuff that works:
<del>cola</del> <ins>wine</ins>

The following word uses a <big>big</big> typeface.

The following word uses a <small>small</small> typeface.

[bgcolor=#0000AF]TEXT[/bgcolor]

cola wine

The following word uses a big typeface.

The following word uses a small typeface.

TEXT

Abbrieviations

Pretty simple, tbf:
<abbr title='Shattered&nbsp;Realm'>SR</abbr>

Keyboard Key Tags

As opposed to the code tags, if you wish to help someone with what to enter in some text, you can use the <kbd> which results in this kind of text indicating what’s needed to be typed.

Apparently these also work in [details] tags too, and look very much like a button! See @powbam’s example. However they need to be done using the ‘HTML’ alternative method for details, listed below.

Details ... Differently

OK, so you can have much more betterer [details] tags if you use the <details> method below shown with the above <kbd>button’ included:

<details><summary><font size=5><b><kbd>Deets</kbd></b></font></summary>
Now you can format your details!
</details>
Deets Now you can format your details!

Notes

• This is all just for information, if you have stuff to add, I’ll edit it in no probs, but if this doesn’t get too chatty, then the posts can just be the info, and I’ll link to them eventually up here.
  • I searched pretty hard and couldn’t find an ‘in forum’ guide to formatting. If this already exists then at the very least, I’ll use it as my own notepad so I know, and this thread will die anyway. :wink:
  • I’m knackered now, if / when I find more stuff I’ll update this.
  • @powbam if you wanna link to this in your WIP post then feel free. :slight_smile:
  • Currently editing in a few from this post kindly linked by @Gnomish_Inquisition below! Just gimme a second as I need to take my sister somewhere.
6 Likes

Wonderful … if you wanna rename it, it could be really helpful! :slight_smile:

((( unless you were posting it for info, in which case, thank you!! )))

not my thread, i just know of it because i stole some of the tricks from it when i went looking for how to spiff up my little corner of the forum

1 Like

What nobody tells you

Table of Contents

My avatar

I have always felt such a guide is important, but others have done them before. Thus I linked existing ones on my user card.

How to organize long posts with Markdown

But maybe this is the time to share a little secret, which I am demonstrating in this post.

• Headings autogenerate an anchor / heading ID.
    • I use ### and #### headings as their font size is similar to the default one. There is no need to start with #, unless you really need to nest six hierarchies.
  • Heading IDs consist of the headings’ text and end in an incrementing number. Spaces are replaced by dashes and functional characters are removed.
  • In any Markdown-link you replace the URL with ‘#’ followed by the autogenerated ID - e.g. [My avatar](#my-avatar-2). This even works from another post in the same topic.
  • If you hover over an anchor, you get the direct URL, so that you can link to it from other topics and external sites.
  • There has been a bug with using an enumeration in your headings, if you link from another topic. Maybe avoid enumerations in headings for the time being.

The BBCode alternative

• We are using Discourse BBCode - plugin - Discourse Meta and it comes with [aname] and [jumpto] tags, which do more or less the same, but do not require headings.
  • Until writing this very post I used a mixture of heading IDs and [jumpto], but pure Markdown is way more elegant.

Source code

Expand / collapse me
### What nobody tells you

Table of Contents
- [My avatar](#my-avatar-2)
- [How to organize long posts with Markdown](#how-to-organize-long-posts-with-markdown-3)
- [The BBCode alternative](#the-bbcode-alternative-4)
- [Source code](#source-code-5)

#### My avatar
I have always felt such a guide is important, but others have done them before. Thus I linked existing ones on my [user card](https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-are-user-cards/44093). 

#### How to organize long posts with Markdown
But maybe this is the time to share a little secret, which I am demonstrating in this post.
- Headings autogenerate an anchor / heading ID.
  - I use ### and #### headings as their font size is similar to the default one. There is no need to start with #, unless you really need to nest six hierarchies.
- Heading IDs consist of the headings' text and end in an incrementing number. Spaces are replaced by dashes and functional characters are removed.
  - Custom IDs - as suggested in https://www.markdownguide.org/extended-syntax/#heading-ids - are apparently not available here.
- In any [Markdown-link](https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax/#links) you replace the URL with '#' followed by the autogenerated ID - e.g. `[My avatar](#my-avatar-2)`. This even works from another post in the same topic.
- If you hover over an anchor, you get the direct URL, so that you can link to it from other topics and external sites.
- There has been a [bug with using an enumeration in your headings](https://meta.discourse.org/t/anchors-to-headings-do-not-always-work/208356), if you link from another topic. Maybe avoid enumerations in headings for the time being.

#### The BBCode alternative
- We are using https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-bbcode/65425 and it comes with [aname] and [jumpto] tags, which do more or less the same, but do not require headings.
- Until writing this very post I used a mixture of heading IDs and [jumpto], but pure Markdown is way more elegant.

#### Source code

[details="Expand / collapse me"]
[/details]

[right][size=2][Back to Top](#what-nobody-tells-you-1)[/size][/right]

1 Like

Great information, mate … and thanks for your links, too … I’ll switch in some more stuff.

Interestingly … I think that the anchor generation must be a discourse version based thing, because over at Boundless it’s not creating those anchors. I’ll look in to that, I think, and edit it in above as/when I can. :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Edit: Yeah, I’m guessing that it came in at some point between Discourse 2.6.0.beta1 (Boundless) and Discourse 2.8.0.beta7 (Grim Dawn) … as those are the version numbers in the HTML of the respective fora.

Automatic header anchor links were introduced with 2.7.0.beta6: Automatic Group Avatar Flair, Improved User Education Content, Bookmark Pinning, and more - announcements - Discourse Meta in April.

1 Like

I assume you are referring to my old “forum” thread…
[HOW-TO] Use This Forum Effectively

:laughing:

Yeah, I let that go awhile ago I guess - I don’t have a lot of time for messing with it nowadays. If you are up to the task tho I could easily request @medea_fleecestealer to transfer ownership of the thread to you and you could pick up where I left off or redo it altogether? Your choice.

1 Like

hehehe … iiiiii’m ok, thanks. :sweat_smile:

i’ll let this stand as a separate specific resource, as it’s useful enough solo for the odd bookmark.

thanks, though. :wink:

1 Like

Alright no prob lol - medea bugs me about finishing it once in a blue moon. I don’t think I’m gunna ever get around to it anymore tho :smirk:

1 Like

Well, steal whatever you like, if you need, obvs. I know I’ve stolen from all over the shop.

Also … I know that there’s a few places with bits of or a lot of this information, but I just thought give it an obvious title, and pull as much together as poss.

Yup… it’s all good and what everything on the forum currently is for anyway. I already know most all the stuff tho but it might come in handy as a reference from time to time and its not as splayed out as the “Test Topic” thread omnitrio and I practiced in some years ago.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll obviously format it a little better, and organise it some more (anchors, etc) … but … not now. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is great, thanks

1 Like

No good asking me, mods don’t have that power. Zantai would need to change the ownership.

Maybe someone will find this useful. Regular expression for Notepad++ to make

Warborn Bastion

links bold

Warborn Bastion

Skips the ones already bold and images. And a few other false matches that I came across in my build thread.

Find what: (?<![\*!])(\[[^\[]*\]\([^)]*\))
Replace with: **\1**

1 Like