Games We Play

Still playing GD from time to time, mostly for mod testing stuff.

Also been playing Earth Defense Force 4.1 since Christmas, love that game. A bit of DOOM and Satellite Reign here and there.

Nothing wrong with that, i have been thinking of doing the same myself :wink:

As of now, GD, Dirt Rally, And Dishonored 2 aka frame drop simulator :cry:, and just finished a %100 of GTA vice city :cool:

I did that years ago when it was new, lol! Played the shit out of that one…

VC is my favorite GTA :wink: So i play it a bit every year or so, but like you said last time i actually %100 it was when it was new, so i thought i would do it again finally. Good times, great music cant go wrong imo :slight_smile:

Off topic, probably nothing like the Florida you are used to :p:rolleyes:

After over 2k hours in D3 i switched game types and played 600-700h of Rainbow Six Siege. Now i am back for some ARPG action with Grim Dawn

Tend to play strategy games for the most part: Totalwar, EU4 and the like. Little bit of CSGO here and there too. Grim Dawn takes me back to when I was younger and played the crap out of D2 :slight_smile:

Gone back to Indiana Jones And The Emperor’s Tomb. My childhood…

Managed to get Mass Effect Andromeda working on my elderly PC and it has me firmly in it’s grasp. Looks bloody beautiful too despite running it on a not-supported HD 6850 1GB, although there’s some graphical artifacts, but fluff it, I’ll have a new GPU in a month or so.

And it’s fun, but there’s so many things with it that tell you Bioware’s more experienced people weren’t working on it. From that menu, to the plot and the weird design choice to not allow you to fly around systems. At least the game art is pretty well done.

Very impressed though that it was capable of being played when partly downloaded.

Same. Have been playing 14 hours straight of Andromeda yesterday. Will do the same the next few days I think. So far it is actually more enjoyable then expected. The few inconsistencies and bugs haven’t really been all that noteworthy for me. Playing with all settings on High and runs smooth as butter. The game hasn’t blown me away yet, but it is still a good product.

I don’t mind the galaxy map. Quite the opposite.
-In ME1 you drove around the landscape too occasionally mine, but on the galaxy map you scanned and just clicked on the planets till one said you could land. However the planets were fairly empty with some scannable objects, crashlanded sattelites, some beastly encounters, your mission objective and mining locations. Still it made you feel like an explorer.
-In Me2 you could fly around, but didn’t add anything. You still just clicked on planets till you saw “land” for a mission. You couldn’t move across the landscape all that much any more. The mining was done through probes and was annoyingly tedious since it was mandatory…if you wanted to have resources to craft all upgrades to make the final mission easier.
-In ME3 they went a bit further. You only landed on planets for specific missions and didn’t roam around on them at all. The scanning was still tedious and dull and quite a chore. Especially since it didn’t really tie in with anything else. You did move across the map from planet to planet as a Reaper evasion mini-game.
-In Andromeda they took away the useless stuff like flying to planets. The probing is nicely streamlined so you can find the satelite/meteor or whatever in that system. And you can then rotate the camera around it to view from all angles in 3d. Even on planets you quickly find what you need and move on. The art looks very nicely done. And even though there is this 10-15second video motion moving you into range of the planet… Going through an entire sector scanning it for 100% completion is so much faster and doesn’t feel like a chore at all. I’m quite pleased with it. I’m happy I don’t have to waste timing flying around a system with no reward at the end other then a grindy chore and having to micro-manage fuel.

When you find a system with a planet you can find the landing zone. And be in the city… Or explore a decently sized open map with thusfar varying environments. Went from a dull sandbox where I had to start my first settlement to some colorful jungles. The maps aren’t huge, but big enough to explore and do various quests. Thankfully it isn’t too large so it ends up getting filled with tons of meaningless collectible crap. When on the planet surface you still also have the mining aspect what you had from ME1. So I feel they streamlined from ME3, trimmed down all the frustrating tedious junk and brought back some actual planet exploration from ME1.

Storywise its thusfar standard Bioware tropes. If that puts you off that is your thing. For me its ok since it has been presented in quite an epic fashion thusfar into the game. Normally in such games you have a main story and then you get disconnected due to many side quests and crap. But since you’re an explorer with no real deadline to beat some enemies plans… It really suits the pace at which you do stuff. Explore planets, try to make them habitable for your people, thaw out pilgrims from cryo and along the way you have encounters with enemies. Gradually you’ll learn what they’re up to, but never do I feel anxious or having to go out of my way or feel disconnected. Yet plenty would hate the “slow” pace of stuff. So far my battle sessions have been few in comparison to all the talking and exploring and questing.

The UI is really clunky and intuitive. This game has so many mechanics that require menu’s. It is quite messy to find what you need. And then it doesn’t always quite work smoothly. Came across several bugs in this area as well.

Graphics and stuff
Atmosphere is presented well, but so far haven’t really been blown away by anything yet. Same for the graphical quality in general. When I started up Witcher 3, Titanfall 2 and such I was in awe at how gorgeous it was. Andromeda is colorful and pretty, but hasn’t delivered the Awestruck experience yet. Aesthetically it doesn’t always match either. Some faces…or entire alien bodies look so out of place. They’re more cartoonish in proportions and presentation so it doesn’t fit with the other “realistic” models. Graphical/animation bugs have been few for me. PeeBee leaning over the railing and after a conversation was leaning in air for example. This was the biggest one I’ve experienced myself. When talking with some turians you can see their tongue move as a stand alone entity and some other minor things I can easily look past.

Some characters however really annoy me. The head of settlements…that women whose “face is tired”… Her dialogue is so flawed. Her sentences are so childish. The things she says in general are so stupid that I actively wonder how someone at the Initiative thought it would be a good idea to put a moron in charge of something so vital. There are a few dialogues that make me wonder if it was written by a 14 year old or if people in real life have degraded to the point that it is what they actually say. Once again it happens so sporadically it isn’t a deal breaker. In general, which the huge amount of texts and interactions, it works well. Even the weird irish accent of my co-pilot has grown on me.

Combat is smooth. Even on Normal I actually have to be careful at times. In Dragon Age Inquisition I was constantly checking if it was on Hard since it felt super easy just blasting through everything with no regard of what was going on. Nice to see that isn’t the case here. Still figuring out a lot of the stuff. There are so many mechanics for research, crafting, adjusting stuff, enhancing stuff. It can be really overwhelming to many people I bet. You really need to sit down, read and take your time for it. I don’t mind, but can see others might. Thankfully you can respec yourself and your comrades to try out all possibilities till you find what you like.

As for your companions. I don’t find them all that…present. They skill development is really limited. And in battle I rarely notice them being there. If Cora didn’t charge in with her biotics and thus be in front of me all the time I wouldn’t even know she was there. Like Vetra with her shots being behind me. I forgot she’s there till she speaks up. This is odd since in previous ME’s I actually used my companions in battle quite a lot. Both in tactical placement and telling them to use specific ammo types or skills to set up combo’s. In Andromeda I feel that I can’t rely on them and have to do everything myself…which is quite overwhelming and adds to the challenge in combat. I create my own combo’s with tech and fire. Really miss having Garrus using ammo types that are too deal with armor, Liara with her specific ammo to debuff opponents and I just use cryo rounds to take it all apart. Not to mention the combo’s we could create with Liara’s Singularity, Garrus’s shots and my skills for example. I miss all that stuff in Andromeda.

The way saving through check points works is horrendous. You can still manually save, but there is no quicksave in keybinding any more. Inside a vault…infuriating. You can’t even save in a vault at all. So if you run into a “boss” battle and die you get to replay it entirely again. This has caused me to think about quitting the game a few times.

These are just my initial thoughts after playing 2 days and having just over 30 hours in the game.

I haven’t been doing much gaming in the last few years. Of the games I have played I would put Undertale as one of the best. It was short and not very complex but it had some great characters and a great story. I liked the message at the core of the game and the music is fantastic.

I’m looking forward to Grim Dawn’s expansion, Runic Games HoB and the next game from Double Damage Games (they’re ex-Runic folk who made Rebel Galaxy). It looks like it’s going to be a space shooter of some kind in the Wing Commander/Freelancer vein.

GTA V :smiley: One of The best game ever !!!

Oh, I wasn’t aware of the history behind the folks at Double Damage Games! Given how much I’m enjoying Rebel Galaxy, I’ll have to keep an eye out on their next project!

Haven’t played pretty much anything since year, but gave Far Cry Primal a try. It’s ok game. The animals taming mechanic is pretty neat feature. You can tame wolves, badgers, leopards and bring other wildlife to your aid. You can also spot unexplored areas with owl that can tag your enemies and shit bombs on them (not on survivor sadly). Bows, clubs, spears, sacks with bees, owls dropping boms… that’s something different in FPS weaponary.

Ubisoft seems utterly bad when it comes to supporting their games after release though. It’s more like project done, next project. Pets pathfinding is horrendous and they can drown themselves or fall off the cliff which is gamebraking since you can’t manually save in survivor mode. Enemy A.I. is bad and their npc respawn system is horrific. Quest system is also halfbaked and untrackable, but it’s still more of a FPS, so ok. Game had potential and could be a wee bit more complex and polished, but it’s fun enough to keep exploring just to finish it. Probably one of the better FPS due to its unique setting. And it runs on stone era primitive PC of mine. Definitely not worth the asking price thanks to lack of support and glaring bugs though. Yabba dabba, **** you ubi!

Ubisoft rarely releases any interesting games to begin with.

After finishing Andromeda I went to resume XCom 2 Long War 2 mod :smiley:

There was a time when Ubisoft released games that helped define multiple genres, from older Assassin’s Creeds to Battle Realms, and boy did those games get a lot of support. The devs would even chat with players regularly.

These days I think they’re trying too hard to be another EA, which is ironic since even EA is trying hard to salvage its “we are the gaming equivalent of an ‘it’s purely business’ corporation” image.

Agreed. Rebel Galaxy is very playable. Definately a game you could sink a lot of consecutive hours into. Very accessible gameplay with an Alabama space cowboy vibe :smiley:

Tbh it was the pre Unreal engine, Splinter Cell games that i would consider to be the iconic stealth shooter.
AC was a let down by comparison.

Back in those days i was impressed with ubisofts graphics and human animation as well as the SC characters and gameplay.
The first SC still looks good today.

Mostly The walking dead game season 3 last month this month Torchlight 2 and grim dawn. Next month well since I’m buying Batalion 1944 i’ll play that.

yea but since Uplay ubisoft is pffft cause always online is not good for pc players

Recently finished Cosmic Star Heroine. First blind walkthrough, 100%.

I can highly recommend it to anyone who has a gigantic nostalgia boner for games like Phantasy Star. It’s a huge homage to these kind of games, also featuring my favourite setting - sci-fi.