Grim Dawn Console Version

That’s nice to know. FTR…Haven’t PLAYED TQ. I think I may have mentioned that before. It does suggest that I shouldn’t bother playing TQ though, if you’ve made all these improvements…So you’ve saved me some cash

I can call you C Note and that doesn’t make it your name. D3 left ARPG behind a long time ago. It fits, technically, in the genre…Just like technically, a 3X shirt will “fit” anyone under that size. Not well, but, you know…Technically, it’d cover you.

Who really cares? D3 was built from the beginning with every intention of being on console. Hence why it is like it is. GD however was not. They might tune some things down to fit the format but I doubt it’s going to be as watered down as D3.

You read entirely too much into things it appears, much more than is warranted by far… Which brings us back to the loose screws =/

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Dropping a game just because it’s getting a console port is pretty… silly, if you ask me… especially on the fact that it won’t affect you in the slightest, and just shows how little faith you have in Crate in delivering a good game for both PC and Console players, just because of what Blizzard did with Diablo…

Blizzard is Blizzard

Crate is Crate

Blizzard is not Crate

Crate is not Blizzard

Curious, does all these improvements mean next game is on the same engine or are you considering something else like Cry or Unreal?

Unity.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=488790#post488790

You can mostly thank the XboxOne port. :wink:

It requires DX11 and we’ll also need to do a bunch of work to get decent frame rates on there. We won’t be changing anything else about the PC version that will affect gameplay but it will get these engine improvements and some additional controller functionality.

We also are planning another “spin-off” game that is based on GD but a somewhat different kind of game.

The totally new non-GD project we’re working on uses Unity.[/QUOTE]

If you see ten people walk off a bridge, do you REALLY want to stick around to see the eleventh? Blizzard had far more advantages to Crate, and even designed D3 with Consoles in mind, and the PC version still suffered for it. Crate is smaller, with a smaller community, less funds, less people working on the project, and AFAIK, did NOT design GD with consoles in mind.

Let’s try saying it another way. I’m a fairly steroetypical nerd, glasses, not particularly strong, thin…If I see a pro wrestling team get their hind ends kicked by a guy, do I REALLY want to go try and fight him? No, it’d be insane to think I could succeed where the wrestlers could not. Crate trying to do an Xbox port is the nerd in this scenario.

As for all of you fixating on my example…Blizzard is not the only company bigger than Crate that I’ve watched try and fail a “successful” console port of a PC game. Blizzard certainly is a compelling example, but not at all the only one. I’m just sticking to them as I don’t particularly feel like arguing multiple examples where one would suffice.

Dear devs - any future plans for Vulkan API implementation in GD?

Or perhaps you like ignoring history. You would certainly not be the first, and I’ve done it before myself…But that doesn’t make it any better or more sensible.

Query: Are you somehow intending these “loose screw” comments in a non-offensive manner? I’m trying pretty hard to ignore them, as I really can’t see a use for that phrase that isn’t insulting. I’m hoping it’s just a translation issue, because I don’t take being insulted well.

Just my opinions follow:
Expansion is coming in forseeble future. Game will be around balancing only after that. So After expansion release, they can easily “copy” build and “downgrade” it for console version. So they will have much more time to play with console version. I think that it is really manageable.

EDIT: I do understand your worries but they are doing it in proper order, they didnt developing both version at same time. That is significant diference.

Nope. I’m being insulting in the hopes something sinks in at some point. Not holding my breath here. Your level of fixation regarding this is getting mildly annoying and it’s clear your method of reasoning is so far off the tracks I have no alternative but to suspect you’ve taken too many Xanax today.

You sound like how my ma acts after she’s popped her Xannie’s and drank two beers. Totally psychotic. Totally unreasonable. A person you just can’t but help strongly disliking.

The Unspeakable Horror might be the hardest boss for first playthrough but NG+ should be a cakewalk imo. He was pretty easy to avoid, i was low on HP and died when i missed the timing. Fight takes patience but can be done

And i doubt he’s the hardest boss in the game then again i just beat The Sodomized Knight in The Festering Banquet so no idea what lies ahead

EDIT:

Is The Hollow Knight like Dark Souls as well (in terms of difficulty?)

It’s really weird to me that people think ARPGs are better played on a mouse and a keyboard. Don’t knock D3 on console until you try it. The game is pretty shallow for obvious reasons, but the gameplay is damn good and very fun with a controller. In fact, the gameplay is really the only fun part of D3.

There are no skills in Grim Dawn that really benefit from having the precision of a mouse other than ground-targeted abilities, and that benefit isn’t really big deal, they work on my controller just fine. Maybe your control isn’t quite as precise, but these games are not hard, a little more difficulty is a good thing imo.

Movement in isometric arpgs with a mouse is tedious. With a ranged character you have to fling your mouse back in forth to attack and retreat in between cooldowns to create more space, this also generates an insane amount of left clicking on the mouse. This isn’t skill, anyone can do it, it’s mindless. There is just. so. much. clicking.

I have played arpgs for the last 15 years and consider myself a PC gamer 100%, but after playing d3 on console and Grim Dawn exclusively with a controller on PC I don’t like playing ARPGs anymore with a mouse/keyboard setup.

I’d like to know a reason you have to dumb down games to work on a console with a controller, it’s just a different input method on a less powerful computer.

Number of buttons. That’s why. Count your controller buttons. Look at your keyboard. Realize the difference is so large you don’t need to bother counting.

they made quite a few changes actually, compared to TQ/IT… what stayed the same is that a lot of calculations happen in the main thread, resulting in a CPU bound game

Making a game properly multithreaded is not easy, not sure many get optimized in that regard even today

If this is the case, wrong choice. Not that game will be bad or anything, it is just inferior to UE4. Well unity has its good side such as just port your game to other platform to 1500$. Probably only good thing about unity is that =)

Who knows… Perhaps they had their reasons for the choice.

Based on past comments/hints about the game I don’t think it’s going to be anything as big or involved as GD (maybe I’m wrong on that) so maybe that has something to do with the choice.

I am not following you, please explain why the availability of a console port results in half of the current players suddenly being on consoles ?

Take a look at the other games that have done this. D3 is generally the easiest one to find and view the results of a port, and it didn’t go well…

how so (serious questions…) ? D3 has a ton of issues, none of which are due to having a console port as far as I can tell… so what issues do you attribute to consoles ?

Maybe i’m wrong but modern consoles support keyboard&mouse (just like you can use conrollers on pc).
At least my friends ps4 does, he uses kb&m while browsing the net (the very least).
I could see if games that made for consoles ONLY won’t always support kb&m but this is not the case in GD obviously.

No. Those are some very well known console specific games, that aren’t much like any of the well known pc specific games. It’s a pretty clear example.

Might not BE half…But then, how many can we afford to lose?

D3 was made with Consoles in mind at the start. It’s difficult to find an issue that isn’t at least somewhat influenced by that.