Grim Dawn Console Version

Doubtful, only because they don’t really mess with the engine, and the engine is what’s lacking optimization. For those who don’t know, or did know and forgot…

GD is using Titan Quest’s old engine…And it’s old, comparatively. Immortal Throne was released in 07, and IDK if that even HAD engine changes in it. So it’s not Crate’s engine, and they really haven’t changed it. It hasn’t been upgraded since 07, and technology has improved a great deal since then. The engine functions, but…That’s about it.

Use Grim Fate with Aether Ray, and use the Transmuter so your scaling makes sense. Mythical might work out too.

You need to keep up with the Joneses more.

Also they have a license to use the engine and modify it, which they have been doing for many years now. So, the 2007 statement is way, way off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I know they CAN alter the engine. I was unaware they HAVE significantly altered the engine. I know they tried to fix the Aura bug, and that ended up involving parts of the engine, but as we’ve seen, that didn’t work out.

As for the Steam link…While that is interesting, I don’t use Steam, so I can’t really say as I feel bad for not having noticed your post on their post. XD

Also, A) Have those changes he mentioned been enacted, or forthcoming? Sounds like forthcoming, so I’m still mostly on point.
B) Someone please tell me he wasn’t serious about an Xbox port. That doesn’t even make SENSE with how many buttons some builds use, it would be impossible to graft onto a controller.
C) This is nice to know. I usually keep an eye on Zantai’s post, not Medierra’s…I’ll have to start stalking him too. Mwahaha.

So those are the engine, somehow? Those actually required altering the base of the game, rather than adding things onto the solid base they had, IE the engine?

Well, hallelujah, at least someone admits that my worries aren’t entirely unfounded. XD Nice to hear…Er, read, that I’m not just being paranoid.

Some of those changes are in testing already and of course like I said they have already been making modifications to the engine for a variety of things since they first ever started working on the game in 2010.

It seems he is serious about the Xbox port. We already have controller support btw which is what he was referring to improving upon. The Xbox port as he noted will not adversely the PC game, if anything it brings much needed improvements to both the engine and controller support.

As for your concerns of them becoming like Blizzard, entirely unfounded as any regular here will tell you. We’ve been following and interacting here on the boards with them for years and they have always been upfront and fairly transparent with the community, which is a big part of the reason I support them so much.

I have seen no hint of Blizzard-ness. Put it out of your head.

XBox port won’t cause issues with the PC game…Hm…where have I heard that before? Oh right, on every PC game forum that then had a port to a console. And every time, the PC game either IS affected or HAS been affected. Like Blizzard. I had hoped this game would be immune because it’s simply unfeasible to use some of the builds on a controller…Too many bindings, too few buttons. Apparently this game is not immune…

In this case, you’ve kinda ADDED worries, I’m afraid. I’ve seen many companies try porting from one to the other, and I can’t say as I’ve ever personally seen a success. I’ve heard they exist, but then I’m told Unicorns and Leprechauns do as well, so…

Now that I know this, I’m actually seriously reconsidering buying the expansion. I left POE because they’d been lying for two years about THEIR port, and all the worst changes they had made, they said were because of the port. And the good changes, that should have been added regardless, they said were only because of the port…Lockstep included. Ports don’t go well…Ever. Some few games can be on both because they were MADE for both, and some few console TO PC ports go alright…Going the other way, not so much.

I wish I had known earlier. I wouldn’t have bought Grim Dawn at all…I’ve no faith that any company can somehow defy the abymsal record of PC to Console ports…Nor can I really trust the sanity of a company that thinks they can do what bigger, more well funded companies have failed so horribly to pull off.

You do of course fucking realize you neither have to buy or play the Xbox port nor use a controller on the PC version?

So tell me again how this affects you? If anything I am starting to think you actually have some screws loose in the head.

HA. Again, HA. If you haven’t seen the BS that comes with a PC to Console port, then you’ve not been looking. D3 suffered for it, POE has been and IS suffering for it, and those are both names you should be familiar with. If the game gets ported to Console, then the PC game will either have to change, IE me suffering…OR, the Console port will change, spilling an already small community into two pieces, and thus ALSO causing suffering, this time for both halves. It’s happened before, it’ll happen again.

Screws loose? If you see 99 people try something and screw it up…Would you go be the 100th, and say “Oh sure, I’m better than 99 other people.”? Or would you do the smart thing and go, “Yeah…Let’s not try that, it won’t go well.”? Seems like taking the first option would indicate some issues…And yet Crate is apparently doing just that.

Ok…first off, the only thing the Console port has done so far for the PC version is the promise of smoother performance as we could justify the work involved in the transition to DX11 on PC. It might also result in better controller configurations for the PC version, for those that care.

Beyond technical improvements, there will be absolutely no basis on the Console version as to the balancing of the PC version. Think of them as separate products.

We will not be reducing monster spawns, or making the game easier, or changing loot drops/item stats on PC because a Console edition might require those things.

I literally do not know how it would split the community.

I blame Blizzard for his condition

Btw Sheepster the last misadventure thread about transmog turned into a mess (imo).
Might i suggest moving this discussion elsewhere and keeping this one clean?

You
I like you :rolleyes:

I think he’s referring to the peasants

That wasn’t helpful was it?

Oh well, PC Mustard race FTW

If the Console version differs, then so does the game. People will build differently, different issues will crop up, different meta, different discussions to be had. When last I looked at D3, their console meta was massively different from their PC meta, resulting in two separate groups because of that. D3 gets away with it…Kinda. Debatable if that’s really “getting away with it”…regardless, they have a bigger community, so splitting it didn’t leave either part as small as GD’s current community is. If you take half of GD’s forum goers now, and move them to, as you described it, “a separate product”…How many would we really have left? And that’s just the forum goers…Imagine splitting the already-puny Twitch and Youtube parts of the community into two pieces.

Take a look at the other games that have done this. D3 is generally the easiest one to find and view the results of a port, and it didn’t go well…And Blizzard is bigger than you guys are, Zantai. More well funded as well. It would take a miracle for you to manage what they, and others, have not succeeded at, when you have much less to work with.

Eis OR Jiaco, Ty for moving this

Seems someone already did, and I never noticed, since I was just refreshing…Hm. Interesting.

F-ing awesome, So hyped. :smiley:

As always Great work guys:cool:

Probably, Jiaco

Still that was pretty friggin fast

I’m not sure you entirely understand what goes into the development of the game / a console port, especially since you thought we were using an engine unmodified since 2007. :smiley:

There are already different metas and playstyles if you even just look at various regions. US, EU and Asian players tend to build their characters differently. They have their own fan sites and discussions divided by language barriers. Console vs PC is no different and they would have their own forum sections. And I Highly doubt that 50% of existing PC players will suddenly decide to switch to Console.

More likely, we would acquire new players who were previously uninterested and thus grow the community, which is a plus.

Or me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Neat :rolleyes:

Honestly I’ve hardly used a console/controller in the last 10 years.
But I’ve been using a controller more and more in GD.
In fact I actually enjoy playing gun builds now, never enjoyed them with a mouse.
Any new controller/UI enhancements from this would be amazing.
Plus more sales for crate is good for us all.

Language barrier divides are unavoidable. Console divides are not.

I doubt 50% as well…But 25% or so isn’t unlikely, and we aren’t rolling in players here.

You MIGHT get new players…But then, you also might get that same amount on the PC.

Also…How on earth could you support part of the game’s appeal ON console? Can you get mods to function on console, somehow? And what about all the builds that have tons of buttons? Pet builds, for example, often end up using most of both skill bars…Kinda hard to fit that onto a console, when it’s already a tight fit on a keyboard and mouse.

Console games are made and designed differently from PC games, all starting from one basic point…PCs have more buttons. Modern consoles have gained more, but they still can’t compete. Console games, and console gamers, developed in a certain fashion because when PC and Console gaming started to compete, controllers were way shorter on buttons and power. PC games and gamers are focused on deeper games with more options and more strategy…Simply because a PC supports that. Consoles are focused more firmly on things like FPS games, or racers, because Consoles support that, there’s no benefit to doing that on a PC, and because those often feature quality graphics that look better on a television.

There’s a reason Console games aren’t PC games, and vice versa. So many companies go “Oh, we’ll have access to a new market, so more people!”…But really, that market is focused heavily on games that are nothing like yours. If a console player loves, say, Halo, COD, Mario Kart, those kinds of things…Why would they ever go near Grim Dawn with a ten foot pole? New markets that want nothing to do with you aren’t really great markets are they? You’re already on one market, where you have a growing community and base. Why even take the risk of going to console? You don’t seem to have any need for it, and there’s a significant chance that the money made will be far under the time/effort spent to make it happen.

I am considering using one in Salt and Sanctuary (First Playthrough, playing as the Chef and no, I couldn’t kill The Unspeakable Deep in the Prologue)

Yeah, like Diablo 3.