Grim Dawn Expansion Development News

“Papercut” damage

:wink:

Of course not! They want to torment us to speculate in a endless limbo.

I only have about 100 hours into the game so far but I am already dedicated to this game and based on what I read in this thread I will be buying the expansion for sure. As SlayerM mentioned, I too experience lag spikes in random places, (I have a better computer then he listed) and I too am crazy about games that support Vulkan. I bought doom just because I could play it in Vulkan mode. I must say the performance was amazing and would be glad to see support come to this game as well.

any new components?

Yes, but craftable only it seems.

Typical :rolleyes:

Also, do they have any plans to add Spears in the game? I know Bows are off limits since medierra said something about an unnecessary amount of resources being required for their animation or something
Spears on the other hand have been mentioned in the lore, heck the weapon that slayed they beast Beronath was a spear

Same goes for spears. Would need a completely custom animation set to look right.

What about crossbows? To what extent would they be able to use gun animations? (Curiosity; I really have no clue on such things)

Um, you mean like the crossbows already in the game? :eek:

unless you wanted their firing mechanism to be fixed and have them fire bullets, probably not much.

The game already has several crossbows like Raka’jax and Quillthrower of Dreeg.

It would be cool if spears were introduced but i’m fine if they are not. But bows are pointless and add nothing to the game.

I still want to see more sets that cater to elemental damage builds and general +1 to all skill sets to that allow players to make more non meta/diverse builds.

Playing as an archer and using bows is my favourite way to play arpg’s (and pretty much any other type of rpg), while crossbows and especially those silly guns do nothing for me at all, so I’m really sad that bows won’t make an appearance.

I can see that having to add an extra set of animations is extra work, but there’s already plenty of animations for stuff in the game, so I guess I fail to see what making a couple more would do to crash the entire project.

Hmm, oh well

I just wanted a Beronath questline.

Well, that’s the thing, it’s not a couple more.

There are 36 2h ranged specific animations, for the Male PC alone. So 72 total new animations. And then there’s a matter of updating tech to support a new weapon type, updating skills to recognize the new weapon type.

The work piles up quickly.

The same would go for spears.

Tis’ but a small matter of programming :rolleyes:

And yet you’ve seemed to have made all of those, as well as the ones for other weapon types, for male and female and monsters and getting knocked down and getting up and so on for all other kind of different animations in the game.

As I mentioned, of course I can see that it’s no small task in itself, and it’s definitely no small task making an entire game, no illusions on that part. Yet the game is there and I just feel that it’s sad to cut character oriented content that some, for bows it’s me, for spears it’s others, would enjoy.

equip a crossbow, mount your monitor vertically, and pretend like you’re using a bow.

It comes down to budget and time management ultimately. What you’re proposing is, as mentioned, a large amount of work and money for relatively miniscule gain, something that will not affect the game mechanically in any serious capacity and only offers minor visual benefits. You might not be aware Crate is a very small dev team. I forget the exact number but I believe it’s below 20.

In the midst of expansion development it’s a hard feature to justify working on. Ideally it’d be nice, but ultimately I don’t think it’s a clever area to spend resources on at this stage of development. And this is more my personal opinion, but I feel like bows would be somewhat out of place thematically in Grim Dawn’s setting.

I cannot wait XD .