Grim Misadventure #109: A Look Back at 2016

Hello and welcome to Grim Misadventures 2017! Though we are now nearing the 1 year anniversary of its release, things are as exciting as ever for Grim Dawn. Between the recently unveiled 7th Mastery and all that’s still left to be unveiled, 2017’s crowning moment is sure to be Grim Dawn’s first expansion, which continues to grow both in scope and content. A grim new chapter of Grim Dawn’s story awaits you later this year and we can’t wait to share it with the world.

As tradition now dictates, we’d like to take the first update of the year as an opportunity to reflect upon everything that has brought us this far. In that regard, 2016 was the most important year of all as it marked the full release of the game itself, a monumental feat accomplished in part thanks to the support and feedback from all the players who participated in Early Access. Thank you for being on this journey with us.

2016 saw not only Grim Dawn’s release, but also 7 major patches and content updates. It saw the successful release of our Survival Mode, known as the Crucible, content that exists thanks to the generous support of our Kickstarter backers who pushed the campaign well beyond its initial goal and funded several stretch goals.

From the Past…

• [li]Modding Tools Released - As promised ages ago, in a different era when virtual dinosaurs still roamed the earth, Grim Dawn would come with modding tools, the same tools used to create the game in fact. And we delivered on this promise shortly after release. Modding now thrives across several websites, including its own subsections of this forum.[/li]

[li]The Hidden Path - Released with V1.0.0.4, the Hidden Path took you on a journey across Cairn to uncover the hidden route taken by the devout of the three Witch Gods (Bysmiel, Dreeg and Solael). Secrets were unveiled and new mysteries presented themselves as you learned more about the devious Three and their twisted machinations.[/li]

[li]The Crucible - Released in conjunction with V1.0.0.5, the Crucible DLC introduced a new way to play Grim Dawn as you tackled 150 challenging waves of foes collected from across Cairn, under the cynical gaze of Lokarr the Master of the Crucible. You constructed powerful defenses, made offerings to the celestials to grant you strength and gathered mounds of awesome loot in the process.[/li]

[li]New Legendary Sets and monster infrequents were scattered across our various updates, adding more variety to the loot hunt. Older items were revised to improve build variety. Overall, more than 40 new items were introduced after the release.[/li]

[li]The Fall of Valbury - Our most recent content update, V1.0.0.7, introduced a massive new roguelike dungeon for you to explore, filled to the brim with lore, loot and dangerous encounters. [/li]

• Tech Improvements - From improved skill functionality to fixing bugs and improving multiplayer stability, our post release updates made great strides in giving you a smoother experience with less frustrating bugs, even tracking down some rare issues that have eluded our efforts for a long time. This ongoing process will continue into 2017 and the expansion.
  • New Goodies for Loyalist Owners - With the introduction of the Loyalist Upgrade on Steam, two new Illusions were added for everyone that supported us with a Loyalist Edition purchase through our website. If you own the Loyalist Edition and have not done so already, stop by Kory the Keeper in Devil’s Crossing and claim the latest in stylish headwear!

What’s next?
Grim Dawn’s first expansion is sure to be a treat. Along with a new chapter of the story, an increased level cap and two new masteries come new Devotion constellations to unveil with an increased Devotion cap, several new features, hundreds of new unique items and monster infrequents…

Legendary Rifle Concepts

New dungeons and environments to explore, and dangerous new foes and bosses to conquer…

A Mysterious New Fiend Approaches

Tune in to our regular Grim Misadventure updates as we continue to unveil our work on the expansion!

As I’m sure the first question on everybody’s mind is just when will you get to experience it all for yourself? We are not quite at a point where we can announce an exact release date, but the current range puts us in Q1/Q2 of 2017. No matter when it releases, you can be sure that it will arrive posthaste.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 01/23/2017 for our next development update!

Was expecting the Necromancer but what the heck.

That rifle looks bad-ass. Hope it’s as good as it looks

Mysterious Fiend looks like Ugdenbog Spikeshells and is that the G-Man standing next to it? Half Life 3 confirmed!! :rolleyes:

it was a good year, now hoping for an even better one with the upcoming DLC!! :D:D

WHOP! /10chan

Whatever the 8th mastery may or may not be, would you really think we’d blow our entire load quite so quickly? :cool:

The anticipation has to build first!

Now i’m worried :frowning:

It’s going to be a ‘Harvey the Drifter’ mastery.

Damn, i don’t think i have seen him since my first playthrough.

thanks Zantai and the devz. thought it was just pure 2016 throwback! Looking forward to play more this year with the upcoming expac! :cool:

those rifles look so good. Also A new costellation? Raised devotion cap??

Yeah!!!

A Mysterious New Fiend Approaches

a combo of a hydralisk and zerg queen? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

This game has grown so much compared to what was promised on the Kickstarter. It has been great to be part of this community and can’t wait to see where the devs go from here. Plus what new games they have on the horizon.

Confirmed. 8th mastery is Seaman!

Besides, we already confirmed on the livestream that the next mastery is a necrodeathbloodmabladepsycookancer.

Yeah, I had hoped for that :smiley:

Mysterious? That’s just a Starcraft 2 Zerg Queen.:stuck_out_tongue:

I am very happy to see the expected release is Q1/Q2.

Great news ! More devotion, more items… Thanks !

this seems new kind of Chthonian fiend !!!

/Losing my shit at the moment :D:p:D

Awesome misadventure, 2016 was defiantly a great year for GD.

Those rifles are sweet. Also I know that’s slender man :eek: slender man mastery plz :rolleyes: