Grim Misadventure #142: A Shattering Revelation

You can probably make dungeons out of dynamic obstacles, but whatever.

Amazing stuff, as ever!

I don’t know if I like the wording of this, though. I don’t know how to feel about a Crucible-like system of rewards where you only get loot when you decide to cash out. The nice part of the Campaign is getting things steadily and with some degree of security while also being able to push ever onward, sometimes finding some gear that’ll help you do just that. The way this is worded makes it seem like you’ll get nothing until the very end of the Shattered Realm, Crucible-style, whether that end be from player-death or -choice. I’ll have to wait and see I guess, but at present I’m not a huge fan of the concept in this regard.

Still, loot aside, glad we’re getting this in GD at long last! Should be fun!

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed… The reuse of existing maps just with different assortment of monsters, the challenge to do the dungeon on time or lose loot… yeah this is basically Rifts/Greater Rifts from Diablo 3, one of the things I never much cared for in that game. It is also basically like a larger Crucible where you can choose to go forward for greater loot. I honestly never liked these game modes as they serve grind, something I don’t care for -I prefer to just play the game and accumulate loot as I go.
Honestly the thing I like the best in this reveal is that the last screenshot proves that finally Nemesis chests will look different based on whom they belong to - I always found the current design looks like Moosilauke is loaning out his chest to all the Nemesises. :slight_smile: On the pic it seems there is an Undead, Chthonian and… maybe Beast chest there?

The GD and TQ engines were not built to do random maps. If you check the screens, you can recognize Four Hills, Deadman’s Gulch, etc. It will likely be like D3 Rifts, you go through an existing map (probably mostly indoor dungeons), and when you exit at the end, you enter another random dungeon, with randomized assortment of monsters.
I do wonder how random the monsters will be though - in the Crucible, though I have not played it much, I think the monster waves are pre-set.

This looks fantastic, can’t wait to try it out! This should be a great addition for multiplayer as well.

Looks awesome, vague on the details though :wink:

Very interested to find out more…!!!

If they’ve managed to enhance the engine to able to create randomised levels that would be amazing, but it does seem unlikely.

I always thought if you can’t create random maps in-game… why not make a tool outside of the game that can do it. Then generate a large number (e.g. 100+), go through and smooth them over by hand to fix any issues, and get the game to choose each level of the dungeon randomly from the list.

The end result would be very similar to actual in-game random generation but without needing engine support. Then you could also add a large number of dynamic obstacles to each map so even when you play the same one it’s a different layout.

Orrrr this mode might not be random at all, it could just be one very long dungeon. Or a series of existing areas taken out of context and connected together with portals.

Either way, can’t wait to find out :smiley:

Endgame has finally arrived, boys.

Down with the Crucible!

Hmm…I’m not massively excited so far, mainly because it seems like it’s just this:

Random enemies might spice things up a tad, but still…

I suppose I’ll reserve judgement for now until I know more details. Seems like most people are happy with the announcement so far though, which I guess is the important thing. Hopefully I’ll end up liking it too, especially since it seems like a fair bit of interesting loot is locked behind it.

That’s one fine-looking portal, mind.

Interesting! Loving the portal, feels very phoenician in design! Glad desert doesn’t just mean egyptian!

OMG, this seems like it’s exactly what I wanted to have in the game! A gauntlet of (possibly) infinite number of levels, which are basically locations from the main game, with reward increasing with each new level! And if I read the Misadventure correctly, there is a risk factor in the whole process, so while going further may bring you greater reward, it may bring you nothing, or lesser reward, so you have to weigh carefully when to cash out!

Thank you Crate, thank you a thousand times!

Please allow me to buy Forgotten Gods as soon as possible, then you can continue developing it!

Awesome! It sounds like a fun new way to play Grim Dawn.

It also sounds like an alternate way to get some awesome loot aside that isn’t the Crucible. Since the Crucible seems to really favor certain types of builds, I’m especially excited about this.

My first reaction: FAALLLKOOORRRR!!!

We have no intention of introducing any sort of endless character development.

Characters should be able to reach an endpoint.

Not happening unless a modder can do it. Only if there’s yet another expansion which I think is unlikely would the level cap possibly go up.

And thank you very much for that. Now make my two handed Pierce sword.

now iam happy =)

new plans for roguelike dungeons aswell?

Newbie here… I jist wish there is an exclusive skill tab for classes… Like blademaster having its own akills tab or maybe modifying skills like shadow strike into having diffrent effects depending on class… But thiS new game mode is soooooo cooolll

I think this covers a lot of what roguelike dungeons offer, but stay tuned for some cool changes coming to roguelike dungeons in a future update. :wink:

As neat as that would be, we’re talking about 28 possible combinations already. :eek:

Ikr… But damn that would be like ground breaking… But i still love this game never thought id play a game this hard thanks… Cant wait for FG

Ikr… But damn that would be like ground breaking… But i still love this game never thought id play a game this hard thanks… Cant wait for FG

so something like Paragon levels from D3 ? ugh, no thanks, I like my char being complete instead of having an ever-shrinking carrot dangled in front of me