Grim Misadventure #142: A Shattering Revelation

Considering it’s timed, reward chests only. Stopping to loot would be counter-productive.

Omg nice
Sounds amazing and fuuuuun :smiley:
No wonder we get some movement skills

late to the party but this looks fun. Cant wait for more setails.

Interesting. Now just needs tweaks where you start Neked - for various community class combo races through the content -equipping and upgrading on the fly!

JK. Interested to see more.

this all looks very nice, but having it on a timer seems very punishing for tanky builds.
This is like a double penalty to tanky builds as they already farm slower than other builds.

This is why i always love GD:p:D

nice!

Made my day! :):slight_smile:

Tanky builds are the best for farming the Crucible though, aren’t they? Glass cannons and ranged builds can’t really survive when they are constantly getting mobbed in a tight space.

Looks like Zantai got his reminiscing in - no wonder he was going to put that option in the poll.

This constant emphasis on “infinite” is giving me extremely bad vibes, though. The timer placement means that Blitz / Shadow Strike abilities are going to dominate this mode, though with the movement runes, even slow builds will have some sort of enhanced movement. Are these portals something that can be “won” like Crucible ends on Wave 150 (then 170, then ???) or are the only options you have either 1) Cash in or 2) Die?

Can multiple copies of the same mutator stack (as an example, if you dive down long enough, could the player have 2 Negative Player Health mutators) so eventually enough mutators can bring even the most invincible player down? Wouldn’t that bring build performance down to whether the portals have favorable Mutator RNG? Will there be an inherent Monster level advantage (Level 125-130 compared to Level 110) at the later levels compared to the earlier levels or will it be that monsters have a certain X multiplier depending on the realm level so that after enough levels, even trash mobs have 4000 OA and DA?

We already have people obsess over DPS numbers to the point that a few slow minutes in Crucible performance is the difference between a “decent” build and people piling on how “bad” the build is. This sort of thing looks like it’s going to magnify and multiply the worst aspects of this game. At least with Crucible, it doesn’t really matter (to most people) whether you beat Crucible 150-170 in 9 minutes or 25 minutes - beating it was its own reward. It even left room for meme builds that are funny in execution but could still beat the Crucible challenge (Boogermancer 2.0!). With Grim Dawn Rifts, the forums are going to get flooded with “does it beat 99% of rifts? If not, it’s garbage.”

Before #GM142, I would have thought nothing about buying this expansion. This sort of thing is actively downgrading my assessment from “Must Buy!” to “Wait and see if it’s going to be worth it.”

I don’t know what to feel regarding this news yet. Aside from the exclusive set and rune augments there’s nothing about it that captures me for now. There isn’t much that’s revealed in terms of gameplay, though. Whether you can just skip everything and kill the boss or clear them all will be the deal breaker for me. A healthy mix of the two might be optimal but we’ll see.

Even if the new game mode turns out to be shit, won’t you buy it for campaign anyway? Aside from this, all the misadventures so far has been complete awsomeness. Well, at least for me there’s always the crucible to go back if this mode flops. Hope they will still update cruci continually after the expansion.

Edit: A similar game mode has already been suggested by many people over the years so I think this is the time their voice is heard. Then we’ll have three types of players now instead of two: pure campaign players, crucible players, and realm players. Of course many will attempt to create builds that are good at all three, so I think that’s where the balance team should come in.

Yeah, I don’t mind mutators, but I hate timers. I don’t see why this “go fast for more loot” mechanic has to show up again.

AMAZING! That’s what i’ve waited for. Thank You Zantai / Crate !!!

Not quite sure why you have this reaction. Yes, there are builds that are tuned for the Crucible and the same can happen here, but if you do not care for the Crucible I am not sure why their existence bothers you so much.

Does the existence of the Crucible affect you in any way ?

Oh wow, this looks so sweet! Can’t wait to try it when it comes out! I’m just curious if it can affect the Main Campaign in any way. In this and Crucible, I’d love some milestone that’d unlock Elite/Ultimate for the Main Campaign, so leveling in those modes doesn’t just make us severely outlevel enemies in Normal difficulty if we bring these toons to the campaign!

Ahh, so much excitement, always looking forward to the next Grim Misadventure! I hope the next one is a sneak peek to a new class!

This concept is the same as D3’s Great Rifts right?
While I don’t see it as a bad idea, why don’t we twist it a little more?
For example, instead of the apparent Dungeon Generator, you create a Labyrint Generator… When the player starts the labyrint, he receives a map with all the possible areas, difficult and possible rewards, and he must choose a single path to go to the treasure. Something crazy like that…

Oh please god no… no timer please. Let me fill a bar through monster kills to unlock the portal to the next area of whatever.

BUT PLEASE…let me play the game at my own speed, i do not like the feeling of being rushed. From the looks of it, a lot of us are turned off by this timer stuff also.

I’m quite sure that with this mod, meta will shift towards tankyness more and less glass cannons

I guess I’m one of the few that really liked Grifts in d3.

Grim Dawn could use this as an end game option (not sure about mutators tho - it should have it’s own non-crucible feel and you do NOT want this to feel like “crucible in a hallway”).

So thumbs up from me. I’m sure the slightly altered thing is tilesets or areas from the core game - which they’d be dumb not to do.

Next up - are you cutting just 1 difficulty or 2 from the core game? It feels pretty bad leveling right now in AoM through 18 acts when you hit 100 somewhere in act 15.

Seems like a cross between the map system from PoE and Rifts/Grifts from D3. Interesting, we’ll see how it turns out, has a lot of potential to be interesting.

Fingers are still crossed for getting rid of the 3 playthrough requirement, just make it continuous like PoE and D3.

Devs are not cutting any difficulties. They are looking at options, but nothing definite yet. From 25th May stream:

“Do you will remove 3 difficulty levels? and make one ?
I don’t think we’d remove 3 difficulty levels. We’re looking at possibilities of streamlining the difficulty levels, but nothing to announce quite yet.”