Grim Misadventure #143: Challenging Expectations

given that only 1 or 2 percent of players even are reaching endgame, I don’t think it is that big a mistake - even if the % of people buying the expansion that are interested in it is somewhat higher…

I mean that’s true of every aaprg right? PoE only 50% make it past the first boss (basically warden krieg of that game). I would think the correlation is much higher than 1-2% for people purchasing an xpack.

And to the other guy - collecting new sets sounds arduous because you can’t have incremental upgrades; you have to farm the whole freaking thing and then 3 months later you can equip it.

I assume the numbers are similar for all of them. I already acknowledged that the % is higher among those buying the expansion, byt let’s say 2% of all players farm endgame and 20% of players buy the xpack, that still means that only 10% of xpack players farm endgame while the other 90% won’t care, so still not that important overall

I’d be really curious about that. Who buys an xpack for a game they don’t play (unless it’s combo/gold/goat/etc).

someone who enjoyed it and returns to play through the additional story or tries the new mastery

If the 2% is semi-accurate, and your theory that only people interested in playing endgame would buy them, then they would sell at lot less / not be worth creating in the first place.

What do ya’ll mean by ‘endgame’ in this context? At ~950 hrs, I haven’t beat the game on Ultimate. (300-400 hrs on a previous installation, iirc). I don’t do crucible*, and as the sig says…

But I bought 4 copies of AoM, one for me, one for Doctor Girlfriend, two for friends. We play vanilla MC together. I like the MC and especially Homestead - Malmouth.

*I own it, I run it from time to time for devotions early on and to ‘benchmark’ builds, but I don’t farm it for legendaries.

I mean having beat ultimate and farming for better gear. That is also how the discussion started (emphasis mine)

According to the achievements 5% of players have completed the game on Ultimate, 2% finished the Crucible on Gladiator, so that is the upper limit for ‘basically everyone’… which should also mean the majority of people buying the expansion do not fall into this group

Wow this game just keeps getting more awesome. Thank you.

That’s what I thought :wink: I think your assessment is on-point then. I’m not an end-game farmer, but I still buy all the expacs, and several copies of them at that. Like most folks do…

Don’t feel bad or completely unique… I’m over 10K hours and I haven’t even bothered to get to Ultimate yet :wink:

Someday perhaps.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Oh nice! Twinsies! I don’t feel bad or unique :-} Many of the posts on the board revolve around farming nemeses and Gladiator 150-170 runs. A few of us should throw some Falstaff vibe around, know what I mean?

I can confirm that. It’s like that for every game under the sun,too. Not just hack and slash. Literally 50% people doesn’t even have the patience to beat the equivalent of GD’s first boss (usually a 1-2 hours gameplay worth of task) before the game bores them. The proof is in % of people that have acquired an achievement of beating the first boss (usually there’s one) and completeing the game. It’s usually 40-50% and like 5-20%, respectively.

That’s a gamer of modern times, I guess. 1000 games owned on steam/gog, 20% of those even played and the majority of them abandoned after couple hours. This is not the time or place to criticize what people do with their money, but all that money for those never-played games could probably buy a freaking car.

So, don’t expect too much on a market like this. I’m happy we got expansions for GD in the first place and amazed that PoE actually launched so many expansions (even though I dislike that game due to the nature of seasons. I get attached to my chars, starting fresh every x months isn’t my cup of tea).

But that’s what keeps you entertained, no? if you’re all geared up and there’s nothing left to do, that means no more GD. :wink:

going towards the goal is more fun for H&S games than actually obtaining it.

Best way to find gear is to play many chars simultaneously.

I can of course only speak for myself, but I have to admit, i tried to get into other games, but i just can´t. I started playing about 30 games in the last 2-3 years, most couldn´t hold my interest for more than an hour. All of these games looked very promising to me. :wink:
So if someone tries playing GD and it bores them, it doesn´t mean anything, imo. It´s just a bad fit.

There probably are too many games out there.

Maybe I´m getting old, but I need a game that “suits” me, as soon as I am supposed to to/have to do something I don´t wanna, the game starts getting sour. Modern games tend to be overly complicated. Meh. This is starting to become a rant.

:smiley:

Companies of other (online) ARPGs like Path of Exile make most of their money from people who “reach endgame”, since the game is free to play and only people who play the game a lot will buy cosmetic items, stash tabs and so on.

Thus their focus is mostly on endgame mechanics, as they often update their map system and add new mechanics with each league.

It is a shame that Crate cannot focus more on endgame mechanics (despite the new game mode, of course) in the same way, as it seems that only a few percent of players actually complete AoM on Ultimate.

are there any statistics on that ? I am not sure that only people in ‘endgame’ buy cosmetics or tabs

Thus their focus is mostly on endgame mechanics, as they often update their map system and add new mechanics with each league.

they do that, so people keep playing instead of leaving after one or two play throughs, they need to retain players so they keep buying stuff

It is a shame that Crate cannot focus more on endgame mechanics (despite the new game mode, of course) in the same way, as it seems that only a few percent of players actually complete AoM on Ultimate.

why is that a shame ? if most people do not care about endgame (and I don’t see why this would be specific to GD), then not focusing on it is a good thing that broadens the appeal. PoE just cannot afford to follow player interests that way as it has to ‘trap’ them, so they need to focus on endgame despite its limited popularity

On the other hand, GD kept at least a dozen or so people fed and clothed for years and keeps on doing so, and made a lot of people a little happy.
And at some very distant point in the future Crate can declare GD as done, and just keep it balanced and bug free w/o adding more content. Which is way better than having to constantly feed the userbase with new content, thus changing the game for ever and ever … probably not to the better. See Diablo 3, WoW and … (a bunch of other games I never played)

Why? Since they don’t use the same money generating system, i.e. ingame purchases, focussing on so-called endgame mechanics makes no difference to their revenues. It doesn’t matter to them whether one player only finishes Normal and another goes on to finish Ultimate. They’ve both bought the game.

Would some sort of endgame mechanics add to the number of players? Difficult to say. I know Zantai said a while ago now that 90% of players only finish Normal. How many of that number might decide to play more if there was some sort of endgame mechanic who can say? And that has to be balanced against the dev time and effort needed to make the endgame mechanic in the first place.

It is a shame that Crate cannot focus more on endgame mechanics (despite the new game mode, of course) in the same way, as it seems that only a few percent of players actually complete AoM on Ultimate

it looks like a big part of FG is pretty much centered around endgame, did you see what the shattered realm is all about? it doesn’t get more endgame than that
and then they are also adding mutators to the roguelike dungeons and other areas to increase challenge and loot
there’s nemeses, superbosses and of course crucible
I call that a solid endgame

agreed, FG already has a heavy focus on endgame, any more and my interest will drop, not increase

I wouldn’t call it a “shame”, but it does underline the fact that games nowadays are business. And such fact contributes heavily to a stream of unfinished, buggy, ridiculously short games, mass produced to satisfy a random Joe’s hunger for 2-3 hours of gameplay before he gets bored and moves to another 10$ entertainer. If your passion is video games, I can’t honestly believe one can see what happens and consider it fine. The gaming industry is about money first, it always has been, but the move towards the masses means cutting costs on balancing, development and additional content, because the masses don’t care.

That being said, I would never put GD in the category of games that were released in a money-grubbing fashion. We have countless patches, containing free content and game balance, DLC and expansion packs. A money-grubbing game would be Torchlight 2. It has been abandoned almost immediately after the release, except three small bug-fixing patches released in the first 2 weeks. It’s obvious that the team behind Torchlight 2 didn’t give a rat’s behind about supporting their own game, they took the money and quit, leaving an imbalanced, unpolished product behind.

So far, I am satisfied by what Crate does. it’s not exactly PoE’s model (which I’d prefer, if I didn’t prefer Grim Dawn over PoE as a game), but I think for all it is worth, Crate puts a lot of care for this game which is already old by market terms. Look at Van Helsing: Final Cut. Crate would never allow those kind of gamebreaking bugs to remain in GD after two years. VH is already abandoned and support for it was ended. Shame, because it was a nice game, but I guess someone with overly monetized approach assumed “OK Neocore employees, it’s not proftable to even fix simple bugs anymore, we’re pulling out all assets, game is dead, move on!”.

Glad we’re not having this kind of garbage here.