Grim Misadventure #143: Challenging Expectations

I see this completely differently… first of all GD already offers a lot more content than a few hours, second the whole ‘endgame is a thing’ idea started when we got subscription based games and continues with the F2P microtransaction games, so pretending that back in the days games offered grindy endgame to keep you engaged for any other reason than being business driven is just plain wrong.

Both the short but cheap and the ‘grind forever so you pay forever’ games originate out of the business side of game development.

If your passion is video games, I can’t honestly believe one can see what happens and consider it fine.

maybe, but GD is far less part of that trend than D3 or PoE… I’d even say it is not at all. In either case, anyone touting the virtue of the D3 / PoE endgame over GD and claims that they (D3 and PoE) do this because that is where the interest of the gamers is, is deluding themselves.
It may be true that you are interested in endgame, but providing it in PoE and D3 was very much a business decision to squeeze out more money from those that fall for it. With D3 that backfired and they had to remove the RMAH, but it was still the driving force behind the decision, just like PoE’s microtransactions are. It also is a small percentage of gamers only that want endgame, just look at the achievements of pretty much any game, at that point you have maybe 3-5% of your audience left, but since MT-based games live off whales, that still is their focus.

I understand your logic and agree to a certain degree. Although you must also understand what I mean by the term “endgame”. When I talk about it, I don’t mean that sort of business-driven crappy content like you get in WoW for example (even though I love WoW, to a certain degree. I am more a fan of the classic WoW). I mean additional content that the player can do once he reaches maximum level, in order to grind better gear, if he wants to. We already have these mechanics in Grim Dawn, including farming reputation in Ultimate for nemesis bosses, roguelike dungeon, the Crucible and now the “Shattered Realm”.

I am happy that they announced the Shattered Realm and I am hyped for it. It’s all I was hoping for. What I said in my previous post was simply an observation of how PoE does things and how GD does things.

I don’t know if there are statistics on that, it was merely an assumption that seems logical to me. Only people who have full stash tabs already will buy extra stash tabs. About cosmetics, I don’t know. But I guess only people who are committed to the game will buy those eventually.

It is a shame in my opinion, because I love to grind in ARPGs that I enjoy. Grim Dawn is the only ARPG I play at the moment, and is certainly my favourite. From a business perspective you are right, but I myself wish that Crate would add more content on top of what is already there for endgame, so I can have more fun with existing level 100 characters. The Shattering Realm is a great step in the right direction!

I was thinking along the lines of D3 rifts or PoE maps, both of which were driven by keeping people playing so they spend more money on microtransaction (in case of D3 the AH)

I don’t know if there are statistics on that, it was merely an assumption that seems logical to me. Only people who have full stash tabs already will buy extra stash tabs. About cosmetics, I don’t know. But I guess only people who are committed to the game will buy those eventually.

I bought a few tabs early on as I figured I can use them early on, but the game was so stingy with drops that I gave up on it after one playthrough :wink:

Assuming the ‘most players do not do endgame’ (to the tune of >90% of people not caring for it) holds true across the board, I would expect the majority of MT sales to be from people who are not in endgame.
The one thing that makes it less predictable is that MT games get a disproportionate amount of money from a small group of players (whales) and these I would expect to be in endgame in PoE

It is a shame in my opinion, because I love to grind in ARPGs that I enjoy.

yeah, if you enjoy it, you want it. The majority could not care less however so focusing on it is a shame for them :wink:
I pretty much never farm in any game, I rather move on to another game or another char. If I really like a game, I might farm for a few hours with a char, but no more than maybe 10-20 hours, I just do not find it interesting. My farming is done by having multiple chars, not by playing one over and over :wink:

You already get the Shattered Realm, this is certainly the most endgame focused part of GD (vanilla, AoM and FG, I do not count Crucible). I rather have more story content but can understand that they added SR.
It does not help my interest however (its addition is neutral to me at this point, but if there is too much / more of an emphasis on endgame that will have a negative impact on my overall interest, ie I will be less interested than I were with less endgame focus, not that I rate the expansion negative)

How having a bit more emphasis in end-game does touch your interest into the FG expansion? From what I understand, you just lvl a char idea and then move on… and if I remember right you barely get to Ultimate difficulty with most of your builds? Sry if I’m wrong though.

In the end the expansion will have a new mastery, another type of power that will add another layer of customisation, mobility skills, a story, new constellations for the devotion, more gear… ect. I mean I wonder what are your expectation for the content based on what you like to do in GD!

As for the Shattering Realm I find it interesting compared to the crucible. I also like the idea of getting better and more loot if you do well.
I would like to add that if the end-game content is interesting enough, maybe ‘‘big’’ streamers might play the game a bit more, giving the game more visibility. My point is adding content that is interesting in the long run, aka adding replayability content, is a way to make players/streamers play the game more. Twitch is something to consider nowadays, marketing wise. Now to what extent a feature can make players/streamers play the game more and to what extent it can have on people bying the game is unknown, but it does have an impact. Wait and See i guess

Dude… The mapping system in PoE is the most fun part of the game! Greater Rifts in Diablo 3 is also a cool system. It’s all about slaying monsters and getting better loot, that is the definition of ARPG. If you want story, go play something like Skyrim or The Witcher! :slight_smile:

How about no? I actually want story and context to why i’m even killing monsters in the first place, which is something maps and greater rifts completely lack. Mindless grind for the sake of mindless grind is not fun in the slightest to me.

This is the main reason why i don’t like the Crucible. I’m hoping the Shattered Realm has any context or story instead of just being another place for mindless grind for the sake of it.

That wasn’t the impression I got from Friday’s stream. It’s basically an unending dungeon where you get loot in a similar way to how you do in Crucible. For story and context I think you’re going to want the rest of Forgotten Gods, not the Shattered Realm part.

Zantai only showed how it work, it can have NPCs telling the backstory of the place outside of it and give context why it’s even there. It would be weird to put this place in the actual main campaign and not give any context to why it’s there. Everything else in the game has context, why wouldn’t this have it? It would feel out of place.

Maybe. Could be an NPC will wander in once you’ve killed a boss - like they do in TQIT/AE.

Now that i think about it, Crucible does have some context. Lokarr wants to test warriors to see how far they can go. It’s something at least.

No worries, I play those too, but grind for the sake of grind is not something I am interested in :wink:

If you like mindless grind, I suggest Clicker Heroes :wink: That basically is how I feel about rifts / maps

There is this, at least:

It’s not much to go on, but hopefully that means they do at least have some explanations in mind as to the origins and/or purpose of the Shattered Realm.

One cent says my Commando with a over 4.5k armor rating will kick ass all these challenges!

The other cent says I will still kick ass with Krieg set and I doubt anything will beat it.

THANKS AND BYE! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ALLOW ME! Making classes as resistance as the soldier. Making classes as strong as some magical casters and vice versa. Making classes for the some less squish shit like pet builds and making some mega classes like the soldier less so.

Plain and simply ANYTHING Soldier right now is not killable. I have done 1000s of tests from many angles that I keep private in my ways. The conclusion is simple: ANYTHING SOLDIER will survive no matter what! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

ALLOW ME! Making classes as resistance as the soldier. Making classes as strong as some magical casters and vice versa. Making classes for the some less squish shit like pet builds and making some mega classes like the soldier less so.

Plain and simply ANYTHING Soldier right now is not killable. I have done 1000s of tests from many angles that I keep private in my ways. The conclusion is simple: ANYTHING SOLDIER will survive no matter what! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

“From a lore standpoint, without going into spoiler territory, the Shattered Realm was fabricated at the whims of a celestial being. It is now unstable and disintegrating due to the absence of its creator.”

Nice catch jalex3. :slight_smile:

Huh, people were mad that they replaced the rifthound-looking hellhound with the new model? Odd. I frankly welcomed the change, that your pet looks different from all the other rifthounds out there.

The interview also has some nice lore info about the expansion. Seems like we will help the cult of the Three to deal with a rising Korvaak. Also, a new Nemesis has been mentioned, I assume this will be Korvaak’s factions.
Btw, one thing I wonder… if we can banish or even destroy Korvaak, how would that affect Father Kymon and his faction, since they gain their power from him too?

Some people don’t like change. There was a lot of argument when the alpha was first out and we discovered TQ’s rebirth fountain system had been removed. I hated that for a long time, but eventually got used to it.

As for banishing or destroying Korvaak - that we’ll have to wait and see.

Question about Shattered Realm: will the loot chances, XP and quality plateau at a certain level?

For instance, once you get to level 20 you will be at Max reward opportunity. Proceeding from there just maintains the same reward rate/quality and pushing further is focused on pushing builds.

The reason I ask is that D3 basically scales reward indefinitely, so pushing higher is more efficient and rewarding. This sucks as it obviously funnels everyone into chasing the topmost builds rather than testing unique ideas. So I hope Shattered Realms have a ceiling on rewards, even if the difficulty continues to scale

I have learned to accept change. Paladins can now rot in hell for what they are worth! and I am eagerly waiting for that oathkeeper mastery! Only few days left and will be riding high :wink: