Grim Misadventure #150: Shattering Expectations

Thanks, forgot about that one and that it shows the costs. Anybody know if epic and legendary sets will be interchangeable? I guess nit, but heres hoping :wink:

So, shattered souls are like those yellow orbs in D3… I almost forgot what they are called, Nephalem something-something? That you have to keep picking up or it fades, supporting an agressive, run into the fray playstyle… Honestly, not a big fan of that. I like GD because with each character I choose my own playstyle, I am not gonna rush into danger with my summoner or glass cannon mage, some characters I kite with, others I let fade in the background of my throng of skeletons…
And seems they even lifted the idea to re-tailor existing bosses with new special powers (that’s Commander Lucius there with lightning powers instead of Aether?), same as D3 has done. I think that is sort of the one thing that I am looking forward, the weird special skills of the D3 Rift Guardians were the best part of the rifts, as they offered variety.

Not wanting to rain on anyone’s parade, but the shattered realm is kind of the least interesting part of this expansion to me. I am far more interested in the new areas, new creature, new items, new factions, and of course most of all the new mastery.

Though that pic with the multicolored levels seems intriguing. The hidden quests and treasures are one of the most fun parts of the discovery during the gameplay, and this seems to be adding more fun puzzles that (I assume) are random like Fallout 1-2’s weird random encounters.

A Shattered World
As you delve deeper into this game mode, you will learn more about its tragic history and why it has come to be known as the Shattered Realm. You will bear witness to destruction in its raw form, to hunger insatiable.

Insatiable Hunger you say… like something Yugol has, hmm? :wink:

Neither, it’s Yugi!

He will challenge you to a children’s card game to decide the fate of the Shattered Realm. :stuck_out_tongue:

So we are gonna fight poor Spanner? But he is kinda harmless. :smiley:

(He was in the Marvel Transformers comics… a space bridge scientist kidnapped by Decepticons - who built the space bridge out of HIM! Talk about body horror…)

Very nice. I thought the SR was going to be just a generic ‘different dimension’, but it seems to have some really interesting lore behind it. Maybe that’s what happens when the gods clash against each other.

54 levels so far
whhhaaatttttttttt
I can’t wait!!!

I think people are getting the wrong impression about the movement abilities. They aren’t really going to make you that much faster at all. Seriously. And they each have different intended functions (and limitations) and it is up to the player to decide if a certain movement ability (or any for that matter) fit in with the build they are going for. Go back and read, actually read, the Misadventure that covers them and tell me if you are truly getting the impression that you are going to be just flying around the maps without a care, uninhibited.

I’m finding it rather humorous.

And honestly, who cares if SR leans toward a speed meta? All you get is some extra loot by shooting for it… you are by no means forced to adhere to it. Some of you people are just reading way to much into it. You wanna take your time? Then take your time. Hosting in MP with a group? Then make it clear that you don’t want to rush. Get a solid party of ‘friends’ that respect your philosophy or boot 'em out. Ez as pie.

Seriously, there will always be a speed meta in this game no matter what we do. It might be gone for a while when new things are introduced but after that initial stage, the speed timers will show up.

Speed is essential for efficient farming so those with the 5s fabius, or 6s sharzul or 7min 170 will always be the better builds. Realms will probably be about what’s the deepest you can get for a while, but once we discover where the farming zones will be (likely where the last piece set drops), then speedsters will then show up until someone reaches another floor with good returns and that becomes the new standard.

I look forward to seeing the next update when released! It looks good!

That and there aren’t leaderboards or entirely streamlined build choices. Developing a build in GD takes time and is varied in stats and gear, so pushing the realms sounds like a nice way to push builds or just get gear, unlike a certain other game that concerns keep alluding to…

Yep.
Surely we will not play through the campaign once and then only do SR. Forever. And ever. Ad nauseam. :stuck_out_tongue:
There will still be plenty of reasons to visit MC areas and rogue like dungeons.

Great stuff!!! Can’t wait to play in new DLC :rolleyes:

GD Misadventure #150
Сongratulations on the anniversary of the whole team of СRATE Entertainment, I wish you sucsess with all future projects and games!

Cool stuff. I missed this yesterday because I was too busy playing Grim Dawn…

Excuses, excuses. :wink:

So you kill your enemies fast and stack those shattered souls: BÄM, BÄM, BÄM… until you lose momentum and certain death awaits?

Will depend on the balancing of those buffs and the ones from the shrines you get, I guess.

Do you lose the whole stack of shattered souls at once after the timer runs out? How strong will those buffs become?

Just throwing some thoughts into the thread, but incredibly hyped nonetheless!

Hey Crate, congratz! Surviving 150 Misandventures is no small deed! May there be 150 more for us :rolleyes:

If Zantai has to write another 150 he’ll have a heart attack. :smiley:

So… the Greater Rift mode is also getting Pylons and Nephalem Globes. Ok.

I imagine it’s going to be fun interacting with pylons that have a resource cost to fiddle with while your glory stacks are falling off and your GR timer is ticking down. I’m hoping that’s also not a puzzle in the last screen. Who has time to stop and solve a puzzle in the middle of blind blitz mode? If you aren’t facerolling you aren’t doing it right.

Seems to be the theme of the new game mode. I guess the devs read all the complaints about the bonus loot timer and decided to go all in.

For goodness sake, stop comparing SR to the Diablo 3 Greater Rifts. In D3, when the time runs out, you still get loot, but no gem upgrades, meaning you just wasted 15 minutes of your precious time. In FG, if the timer runs out, you will get a little less loot. That is it. And you get bonus time for killing sprees, I think. You don´t have to rush through SR like an idiot, unless you choose to do so.
Zantai didn´t mention when/how the unique shrines works, so why shit your pants now and assume you need to interact with them while the oh so horrific timer is running out?
And no one mentioned puzzles in FG. Just saying.

Please relax, and don´t be a dick. It´s one thing to be concerned about how the new game mode will turn out, yet simply assuming it will be shit is just lazy.

I think this is the part that people are freaking out about. How necessary is this buff going to turn out to be? I do think it’s a little early to worry about it too much; If it’s excessive the testers should be able to help rein it in. I’m more worried about mutators in roguelike dungeons because I hate Port Valbury enough as is. :stuck_out_tongue:

So in a game all about collecting loot, and a game mode all about pushing deep to get a bigger pinata, the penalty for not going fast is less loot. Seems like a pretty big deal to me.

The one difference here between GRs and Shards, is GRs have a preset end and the timer is only a deterrent from pushing content you wouldn’t normally be able to do. It’s very difficult to find yourself in a GR that you can survive and not clear in under 15 minutes. With shards you get to the end and can push deeper, the faster you go the deeper you can go and the better rewards you can get, on top of the bonus rolls for ending within the time limit. So lets say one build takes 15 minutes to clear the first shard, fails to get the bonus roll, gets a single crap chest. Another build takes 10 minutes to clear 5 shards, gets the bonus roll, and has an entire screen covered in chests and loot at the end. Pretty sure somebody is wasting time there. I’m also absolutely sure that kind of build diversity exists in Grim Dawn as well, which is one of the highlights of the game, unlike D3 where there are only a handful or preset combinations you are forced to play as.

We know the pylons have a cost, we know that the game is going to have to present you with that cost and allow you to accept it or not. Time is going to be spent reading and comprehending the cost and determining if it’s worth it or not, that’s a speed bump.

And you are right, nobody mentioned puzzles, which is why I said “I hope it’s not” one. Just saying.

I’m not assuming the game mode will suck, I’m assuming it will work the way they are describing it will work which is not the type of gameplay I enjoy. I’m sure there’s a good size population of kids out there that chug energy drinks and pop adderall all day that will love this new game mode.

You might want to get a second look at everything that has been announced about SR.
And maybe I should as well before posting this post but from memory:

The timer-related reward is only a very small part of the total reward.
Most of what you get comes from how deep you went into the SR, if I recall the timer only dictates whether you get an extra chest out of the already significant reward.

And shards get more difficult as you progress, thus there is likely gonna be a point at which you would have to slow down to a crawl unless you get overwhelmed, and that’s where the best reward will come.
And there is NO time limit to complete your journey in the SR.
Of course we don’t know how scaling will go, but I expect it will go up fast enough so that you don’t have to play more than 1hour or 2, to be really challenged.

Of course, some players will always calculate every outcome, so that they go just as deep as they need for the most efficient farming - just as some players only play builds that clear crucible the fastest.

It is not my way of playing, so I am happy that the SR address both mind-sets. You can play it slow and get really good reward - which suits me, but there is also an incentive for players that want an extra challenge to also push for speed.

I don’t see how that may penalize one style of play or another. It suits everyone favorably.

There will not be a single crap chest. What you miss out on is an extra chest.