Grim Misadventure #150: Shattering Expectations

that really depends on how much less loot you get as a consequence though

With shards you get to the end and can push deeper, the faster you go the deeper you can go and the better rewards you can get, on top of the bonus rolls for ending within the time limit.

the deeper you go the better the loot, yes, fast only matters for staying within the timer though (‘bonus rolls within time limit’)

So lets say one build takes 15 minutes to clear the first shard, fails to get the bonus roll, gets a single crap chest. Another build takes 10 minutes to clear 5 shards, gets the bonus roll, and has an entire screen covered in chests and loot at the end. Pretty sure somebody is wasting time there.

probably, but you could say the same thing about finishing a rogue dungeon in 2 hours when someone else does it in 15 minutes. Whoever kills significantly faster will always find more loot in the same time, regardless of game mode.
You cannot really blame SR for this, the only bonus for finishing within the timer is a few extra items.

I’m assuming it will work the way they are describing it will work which is not the type of gameplay I enjoy.

Do you enjoy the Crucible ?

That’s what I said.

There’s no limit on finishing the current shard. I don’t believe they mentioned whether you were allowed to push deeper if you already ran out of time. It seems really unlikely to me.

And you think that screen is from a single layer shard clear? That would be pretty broken wouldn’t it. If you only finish the first layer you will probably get really terrible rewards, it might not be a single chest but it would probably similar to stopping very early in a crucible run.

Absolutely. So why add another reward on top of that? Why reinforce that concept of going as fast as possible so much? The timers they keep adding are like a whip snapping at your heels as you playing, pushing you to go faster and faster, the actual rewards you get for staying ahead of the timer aren’t as much the issue as the constant unnecessary feeling of urgency that they seem determined to keep stacking higher and higher.

Not really, for some of the same reasons I don’t think I will like the GRs, but mostly because I don’t like running around in circles in the same room for an extended period of time chasing derp AI.

Running out of time does not prevent you from continuing on as far as you’d like at your own pace. Nor does running out of time prevent your from earning the rewards unique to the Shattered Realm.

it definitely isn’t, but the fact remains that you get maybe a handful of magical / rare items and maybe one unique as reward for finishing before the timer runs out, maybe it matters if you only play one shard deep, but by the time you play three or more deep, it is pretty negligible

Absolutely. So why add another reward on top of that? Why reinforce that concept of going as fast as possible so much? The timers they keep adding are like a whip snapping at your heels as you playing, pushing you to go faster and faster, the actual rewards you get for staying ahead of the timer aren’t as much the issue as the constant unnecessary feeling of urgency that they seem determined to keep stacking higher and higher.

whether you care about the timer or not is entirely up to you, esp. since the reward for it is minimal for an actual run (i.e. one where you go more than 5 or so shards deep - and ‘shard’ here means one set of shards up to a boss room, which is how you use it whether you are aware of it or not)

Not really my thing but there’s so much good upcoming content with the expansion that I’m still super stoked for Forgotten Gods. Crucible wasn’t my thing either but I’m glad these kinds of modes for people who like that style of gameplay. Maybe something to look forward as endgame content, if I ever feel like I’m at the “end” of Grim Dawn.

@Medea or @Zantai

Is it just me noticing, but I think the Grim Misadventure series are actually SCRUM sprint stories and the misadventure itself - the content delivered after finishing the cadence (not the skill)?

I am just wondering, thank you.:rolleyes::wink:

We don’t do Scrum. Doesn’t really make much sense for a team our size and I’m not sure anybody here is particularly fond of the practice anyway.

What we show is not necessarily in the order it was finished but rather shown when we think it makes the most sense to.

Soulshards (Powerups, stackable…) are a horrible idea. It is even worse than shrines in Diablo3. The motivation for me to spend hundreds / thousands of hours progressing my character is to push my limits with that particular character, not being buffed for short term while im fast enough to keep up my stacks. Why don’t you give us a permanent progression system and skip the powerups? I cannot describe how much I dislike the idea of your system. Or let us at least have an option to turn those powerups off, in the menu, like permanently. A progression system that I would enjoy would be something like Omega points in Marvel Heroes, not so much a simple Paragonsystem like in D3. Put some thought into it, you really have an amazing game, with huge potential to be outstanding in the arpg world. If you do this right, I’ll spend my entire free time grinding out Grim Dawn to progress my character, I am pretty sure others will too.

Shattered Realm is not gonna have any sort of progression system that forces players to go there. It’s just meant to farm gear.

wouldn’t a char that is pushing its limits also be good at keeping the buffs going ? Don’t really see the two not going hand in hand…

Why don’t you give us a permanent progression system and skip the powerups?

because they already said a char is supposed to be finished eventually instead of permanently dangling an ever diminishing carrot in front of you - and I completely agree with this, I hate these systems that try to keep me playing the same char for eternity

Why don’t you go back to play Diablo 3 then instead of demanding to the devs to introduce a game mechanic like it’s as simple as to add mayo to your food? This level of entitlement is amusing.

Sent from my 6039A using Tapatalk

One assumption you appear to be making is that the timer will be aggressive, and therefore reward only the most mobile builds.

We should probably confirm that first by asking whether the timer is geared to 'moderately powerful builds" of reasonable, but not top tier power/speed.

I.e. Perhaps the timer is just meant to keep you moving, not moving top speed. Perhaps?

Glad Zantai was able to answer this because I don’t even know what you’re asking about. Had to google it. :eek:

Good! I work in IT and I’m sick of all the “Agile” bull****. Even worse when managers try and apply it to normal processes, rather than keep it to software dev like it was intended. “Sprints”, “stories”, “scrum master” (call them a Project Manager they love it :smiley: ) And “cloud”. Sick of that too, even though in fact a lot of what I do is connected to that. In fact after 20+ years in IT I’m pretty much sick of IT full stop.

Aaanyway…breath. Back on topic. Can’t wait for FG. I lagged buying AOM, and love it. I’d pre-order FG if I could, and I never pre-order. Ever.

First of all, I voiced my opinion, I did not demand anything. It is not up to me nor is it up to you to decide what resources are being used for what purpose. If you don’t feel like you have the right to state your opinion about something, well then that is your problem, not mine. And instead of randomly start insulting people that do say what they don’t like, you might just stick to explaining why you have another opinion, instead of telling people to shut the fk up and move on to another game.

Secondly, I do not like Diablo 3. I do not like the itemization, I do not like the simplicity, I do not like the arcade playstile without real build options. I do not like anything about Diablo 3 other than the graphics and the smooth physics, because thats what Blizzard is good at. And the only reason to play Diablo 3 is because you keep progressing, in the most simple and uninspiring way possible that is…

Thirdly, I never said that it would be easy to implement a progression system. Again, you insulting my intelligence does not help in any possible way.

So, if you don’t mind (carefull, sarcasm), I will play the amazing Arpg Grim Dawn as long as I please, and I will if I absolutely dislike a system that is about to be introduced, say so.

Kind regards, Synn.

That is fine, I don’t like the powerup system, I would like to have the option to turn it of if it happens to find its way into the game as introduced.

A progression system doesn’t have to be global. It could just be bound to the progressive dungeon. Neither would it have to be eternal, even tho I would highly prefer that, but that is nothing but preference. I totally understand the need to finish something rather than having the feeling that you cannot come to an end…

The Devs will decide what they gonna do, I am not a crybaby like you see on the Blizzard Forums, I am ok with them going a different direction on the game…

It’s not quite how you imagine it.

For a long time end game players, min maxers, however you want to call them complained that the Ultimate diffculty is not that dfficult. So many took to crucible to up the challenge.

But crucible is not to everyone’s taste, there is not so much flow in there (aside from monster inflow).

SR is a more challenging environment that is more exciting than the campaign, far more diverse than crucible and the bonuses are just a resource that you choose how to use in this hostile envieronment.

It does not take away from the work you put into your end game char nor is it an endless grind.

I have an idea : Why don’t you guys just wait that sr is released, try it yourself and then get an opinion on it?

Since you registered on the forum to express this concern, I get the impression that this is probably an important issue to you, so let me try to assuage your fears a bit.

In regards to some sort of progression system like Paragon levels from D3, we are personally against such a mechanic as there is no end point to character growth, which we personally feel is not how ARPGs should work.

As for the power up mechanic, we did “put some thought into it”. In fact, we put a lot of thought into it and came away pleased with the result.

When progressing through the Shattered Realm, any character that relies on the Soul buff to progress is going to have a bad time because when (not if) it falls off, their character better be strong enough to withstand what’s being thrown at it. This is because the buff itself is actually very short duration (currently 18s), but you do get more stacks of it from defeating heroes/nemesis bosses. On top of that, any stacks fall off immediately when you progress to the next Chunk, and Souls do not drop on Boss Chunks, so you’ll need to be sufficiently prepared.

The power up is like a short burst of adrenaline where you get to feel like a juggernaut for a little while, and that’s pretty damn fun; it’s also fun to see how long you can keep it going, but I don’t think it’s going to be the deciding factor of how far a character can get.

I imagine once players have the Shattered Realm on farm status, they will know what a Shrine does at a glance based on its color/name, so no fumbling about necessary.

The lever room is not a puzzle, but what you do with the levers will certainly impact what’s ahead!

Perhaps because this forum (and most others for that matter) don’t work that way. People come together on all sorts of forums to exchange comments, ideas, advice and yes, opinions. It wouldn’t be a forum if they didn’t. All opinions are welcome, what is not welcome is sniping at people because they have a different opinion to yours.