Grim Misadventure #150: Shattering Expectations

That’s really good to know.

The lever room is not a puzzle, but what you do with the levers will certainly impact what’s ahead!

The suspense is killing me!

I am also a bit wary of the power-ups as they seem like something that will be difficult to balance, but I guess I’ll try to reserve judgment until I get my hands on SR. I tend to not enjoy things that augment a character’s power externally. Boss encounters in mmos that I’ve played over the years that are buff-oriented tend to be my least favorite.

“I hope you weren’t too attached to those constellations.”

1/5 of the devotion tree explodes

Thanks for replying. You are correct, I created an account just to say how I think about the powerup system. And yes, this is very important to me, as is Grim Dawn as a game (not going to talk about the very personal reasons on a forum…).

When I said “put some thought into it” I meant into a progression system. What I did not mean to say is that you did not put thought into your powerup system. I love the game, and I do think that you guys do a great job. I was not aware of your point of view concerning progression systems in general, and as there is no point in talking about that topic ever again (for me there is no point anymore, because it sounds pretty damn final…), I’ll accept it as is (still sad about it).

I am very well aware of the fact that the chances of making you consider the implementation of an option to turn off the powerup system is close to non existant, but as I hated those kind of systems in any game that I’ve ever played be4 (arcade, jumpnrun, and so on), I still gonna try…

The questions that come to mind are:

How much work would it be (how many manhours, costs?) to implement an option to turn of the system?

Are the developers able to overcome their pride, meaning would they allow the players that do not want such a system to simply turn it off? Well, pride because of the countless hours that the devs put into such a feature, and because of how satisfied the devs are with the outcome.

Whatever, I tried. I know its not going to happen, so nevermind.

Good day to you all :slight_smile:

No man hours would be required as you can make a mod yourself fairly quickly that would disable the power-up aspect of the souls. Ultimately, the entirety of the Shattered Realm can be modded.

Pride doesn’t really play into decision-making. Any decent designer will make decisions based on what they believe will make a superior experience. Stubbornly sticking to a bad idea because it was yours is a novice mistake. The exception I suppose would be where time/development constraints come into play and development has to wrap up, but that’s an entirely different topic of discussion.

At the end of the day, we create the experience we feel is best for the game we are creating. Sometimes we are wrong, and subsequent patches make changes.

But no matter how we feel about a particular feature, we cannot please everybody. And for that, we include modding tools so players can cater their experience to their own enjoyment. If you want to disable powerups and create a league of extraordinary powerupless gentlemen/ladies, be our guest.

While you’re mentioning mods Zantai, is the Xbox version of the game going to be moddable as well? I know someone asked this in one of the Xbox threads recently and wanted the question asked in the next dev stream, but that’s likely to be a bit frantic for replies.

This sounds really cool, keep up the good work.

Grim Dawn continuing to solidify itself as the best ARPG ever made, in this poster’s humble opinion.

Well, if that’s what it takes to dedicate an Oathkeeper to Ulzuin. Wait, can I pull all the levers?

If you don’t want to make the mod, I’m sure there will be various mods offering all sorts of option changes in SR once it’s out and… Welcome to the forums. :smiley:

This was the loot from just going 3 shards down in 2nd November stream. And no didn’t get the timer bonus as Grava was too busy reading and answering chat questions. Still I don’t think that’s a bad return on his investment loot-wise. Character is L58 btw.

Yeah the loot is quite nice and he got about 20% of a levels worth of experience too. It’s another option for levelling up if one gets bored of questing.

The 5 colors correspond to the 5 constallations Affinities of the devotion system :
Ascendant - Purple
Chaos -Red
Eldritch - Green
Order - Yellow
Primordial - Blue
My guess is it spawns a portal to fight against an incarnation of the constellation.Maybe defeating it could give you a devotion point or an Affinity Bonus of the corresponding constelation.

OR
Activating the corresponding level will deactivate all devotion skill of the corresponding affinity (or only those of this affinity).

Will there be rifts ? Or a way to navigate to and from those 54 levels ? I don’t remember having seen it explained (but maybe it has ?)

I don’t know exactly what you mean by the navigating part.

Here are the recorded dev streams where the new game mode of the upcoming expansion is explained and shown:

Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods - New Game Mode Preview

Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods - Shattered Realm Preview

You will get/make waystones at certain points in the SR so you don’t always have to start at the beginning of a new session I believe. And if you die down there and want to go back in in the same session you just go back to where you died. Which, if you died in a boss level, can be a bit hairy scary. Make sure you’ve re-applied buffs, etc, before diving back in. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha, thank you medea fleecestealer :slight_smile: That’s what I expected as an answer (sorry to ChthonicSonic if it wasn’t clear, but the videos helped). I haven’t watched every videos there is, I just tried to find the info here. It was mainly my wife who was concerned that those 54 levels were just one big series in a giant dungeon…

Well, yes, that is what they’ll be. The Shattered Realm is going to be endless.

Hey Eawyne, no worries, I was just trying to help.
I didn’t get what you meant by the navigating and where the 54 levels came from.
I think I do now.
Zantai mentioned it in the opening post:

If I’m not mistaken (Zantai, correct me if I’m wrong) Zantai means the number of handcrafted maps that are designed for the Shattered Realm at the moment of writing.
Once you enter the Shattered Realm, you’ll start in one of those 54 maps randomly.
Every time you clear a map, a portal appears that will let you progress to the next random map.
Gradually, maps will contain tougher monsters and traps also.
54 maps crafted at the time of writing, probably a couple more now as development is still underway.

As Medea said, there will likely be waypoints once you reach a certain point in the Shattered Realm.

Okay, thanks so much for all those details ! :slight_smile:

I sure hope there will be waypoints reachable from session to session, otherwise this might become a littel tedious - if not completely unpleasing - to some.