Grim Misadventure #171 - Expanded Horizons

That is the trapdoor from Convict’s Tunnel in Devils Crossing. In the edge of reality it does not seem to have a function, or? :thinking:

Yes to snow and ice. We had our share of sand and lava.

3 Likes

the north is always the right way! if going south is the only way to explore a mysterious southern region, then just teleport to the southernmost point, and go north again!

1 Like

Not really sure how to go about this, But I love Grim Dawn. In many aspects its far better than… Lets say one large “cold” company could do. You can see the dedication to Grim Dawn more than the big box companies; push-a-half-finished-product-for-the-sake-of-money do. With that having been said I do have an idea or two. I’m not in the market for credit or such, I’ve given up hope on that. No. more… “would be cool” like ideas for the next expansion of the game. Careful though this might be a tl/dr mass of info but here it goes…
2 new classes. Mechanist and Curator.
The Mechanist is a steampunk like class that can summon automatons and use poison/acid thrower bomb attacks aether batteries for power and lightning with or through its summoned mechs.
The Curators are a very old and enigmatic group. using cold and chaos as their primary skills with small use of vitality. this class prefers to use its hands and or claws (new weapon set) They prefer to slow time and lock down their targets. using deep magics for such things older than even the eldritch gods.
After their defeat at Malmouth the aetherials mostly retreat back to plan a next course of attack… Since using humans and flesh proved to taint the aetherials possessing them with emotional fervor. they opt for something without emotions. Powerful machines. They turn their sights on the mechanists to the far south hidden away in their city around a massive volcano as the mines are rich with iron and coal. The mechanist and their automatons prove to be the perfect vessels for the new invasion. but some resist…of course. but they all seem to over look one thing…

4 new allies.
The SteamWorks society.: the last of the steammech people who are fighting pipe and wrench against the aetherial invaders. Holding their own with the new and amazing machines they continue to invent.Some even seeing the invasion as an exciting time to innovate and create more and more powerful machines…like a very dangerous game of chess.
The Archives; the center of all. ALL knowledge. everything in Cairn. protected and preserved by the Curators. Who keep and inscribe all events, secrets and truly powerful artifacts of the entire world… and other worlds.
The Retaken. Those aetherials who have indeed taken possession… but also have become quite connected to their human hosts… even choosing to communicate and let their host hold equal control of their bodies. these aetherials have found respect for Cairn and it inhabitants. having made known their beliefs to the aetherial council, have been outcast and branded traitors. now they have formed a resistance against their once aetherial brethren.
The Tellers. These Four beings sleep nearly eternal, almost Permanent meditation. only awakening for a brief moment to speak of those moments of time extremely important. they are kept and watched by the curators awaiting their revelations. Some don’t move or speak for centuries…but what happens when all four awaken at once?!

3 new enemy types:
Machines. since the invasion some machines have begun to malfunction and attack everything mercilessly, or mercifully other enemies…
Aetherial Automatons. The fully produced and possessed Aetherial machines extremely powerful and without emotion.
The Hollow: Simply put…well souls without souls. angry and destructive. no feeling or remorse… just one purpose eradicate all things…everything…till there is…nothing. just hollow… annihilation.

Maybe a new customization feature…?? elemental infusion/ affinity: choosing an element that one can become innate too. becoming highly resistant to it and even enhancing damage and skill effect of those skills of that element.even having an option to change a skills element all together. but also accepting the counter balance and becoming slightly weaker to another element generally opposed to it. Like for example choosing chaos will make you very strong in chaos maybe even having a chance to absorb chaos or having no casting cost for chaos effect for a short duration… but having a 25% reduction of aether effects, resistance (not effecting the cap mind just another penalty like effect from higher difficulties), or even having a random monster(boss maybe) appear to attack you with higher aether damage.

Anyways these are my ideas. I still want a class of strong poison acid effect. while yes i understand that the oathkeeper is that class, we are still at the mercy of predominantly melee classes. and to get the best often is left to hopes and wishful thinking of a lottery like system of extremely rare legendary sets dropping. but where is my cold damage love for spell casters. make that assassin nights chill naughty… channeled hurricanes or cold whips multi striking as a caster/ attack effect…Fingers of frost?? maybe…
Anyway thank you for letting me pontificate. I’ll cross my fingers. I know this story isn’t done. Can’t wait to see whats next. Thank you to the Devoted Devs and all of Crate.

This is probably going to break your heart then, but…

Grim Misadventure #114: A New Thing...

What happened to the promised Steampunkiness, Crate?

If you ever want Steampunk in the game it’s going to have to be thru mods - because it’s not going to happen officially. Don’t feel bad tho - you aren’t the first to think that just because you saw some random ass engine lying on the ground around the game that that meant GD was Steampunk, and you won’t be the last.

If you ponder on it tho and really look at the game and pay attention it will dawn on you that, besides the Victorian-era feel of the game, literally the only thing in the game that even remotely hints at Steampunk is those exceedingly few engines. I guess you could make an argument for the firearms but for the most part they don’t really look Steampunk - but it’s kinda hard to pin down that area of Steampunk as gun designs vary wildly - from almost normal looking to extremely fantastical…

https://www.google.com/search?q=steampunk+gun

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

In addition to powbam’s points, the devs have made it clear that there’ll be no more masteries added to the game unless they make another expansion; and there are no more expansions planned for the game.

Crate are focusing on their other game projects, though they’ll continue to support GD so long as it makes sense to do so.

Regardless if the ideas will find their place anywhere I appreciate the amount of thought you put into your post.

1 Like

i sure do love some more techno-goth contents for gd. demolitionists will love em. grim dawn is more magic magic magic witchy witchcraft rather than goth victoria van helsingness.

that made me realize, grim dawn prioritize magic on its theme over technology. still love the magic theme of the game. but some more magitech items wouldn’t hurt. because there’s some hint about erulan military’s demolitionist division being created to utilize gunpowder/explosives to counter the devastating power of magic user.

a cool example of magitech item in grim dawn is this:
morguul's%20mortality

that pistol combines the dark magic and victorian era van helsing tech theme of grim dawn perfectly. i always found grim dawn’s idea of using pistols as magic wands and rifles as magic staff a unique appeal of its own. there’s also a part of me that hopes many spells can be cast by using unique pistol/rifle animations rather than typical magic hand casting animations. but if it never happens in gd series, it won’t be a big deal.

speaking of magitech items and gunpowders, that reminds me… does korvan and arkovian empire have gunpowder weapons in their time? its kinda funny if the one deciding factor that makes erulan survivors live for a long time is gunpowder…

erulan survivors: we might be besieged by evil spirits/demons/monsters/cosmic entities, but we got PISTOLS!!! RIFLES!!! EXPLOSIVES!!! THEY’LL ALL SHATTER BEFORE THE POWER OF EXPLOSIONS!!!

1 Like

What lies further in the Bone Pit ?

6 Likes

probably some secrets that answers the question:

why does the tree leaves in blood grove are so bloody?

3 Likes

One thing that I would like to see is access to the ravines in the Broken Hills. It’d be nice to be explore them and all the way to the riverbank Arkovian ruins. The Hidden Path is the perfect access point for them. Would nicely eliminate those annoying black blotches on the map too.

Sad to hear Old Grove is not on the cards, I would have loved to have seen that area. And there’s plenty of places in Gloomwald too that have been blocked off by fallen trees.

But I’ll take what I can get that’s coming in the new expansions, and no mistake! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yugol is indeed an annoying black blotches of fog of war!

shine cosmic light against this intolerable darkness by buying celestial/light bringer items in shops today! who doesn’t want +light radius?

The RPG known as real life has me engrossed at the moment so I just lurk around and don’t post often these days. Which is why I wanted use this opportunity express my gratitude as a member of this community for your continued support.

I don’t think there’s any particular metric to compare the recent updates you have dished out. Each is amazing in its own right.
Adding new stuff, revamping old stuff - the frequency of these updates combined with amount of work put into these is maddening. The community greatly appreciates it. You and this game are like an endless Christmas - just full of treats. You guys are just plain awesome.

Now, regarding this thread - this is right up my alley.

As for the last part, unsure whether this is a question or if you are taking suggestion but I am already beat here. But I will still go ahead and list out what I want to be added even though it has been said above -

1. New Harbor (Based on suggestion by powbam)
    Consider placing some Rover guards over there if the village has been saved successfully.
    Allow us to repair some portions
    Add 2 or 3 scavenging quests
  1. Bone Pit (Based on suggestion by MikeHeydon and mqstout )
    I need to explore this. What lies further in this area.
  1. Gloomwald Bridge (Based on suggestion by powbam and FernandeZ)
    It’d be interesting to see if Gloomwald can be expanded upon at all.
    Honestly never crossed my mind before I read this thread. It’s just one of those things I didn’t realize I wanted until I read about it.
  1. The boat in the Cultist’s Lair (Based on suggestion by Mornay and FernandeZ)
    Of all the stray boats near the shore that I have come across so far this one bugs me the most. I am guess it’s just for show But it’d be cool if it would lead to a mini-area or even an existing one like Depraved Sanctuary (you may need to renovate part of the place though) .
  1. Staunton Mine and Broken Hills Bridge (Based on suggestion by Ceno and Flix)
    Again, never crossed my mind but I am interested in seeing how this plays out if ever implemented. You don’t even need to expand the area, just allow us to repair stuff :stuck_out_tongue:
  1. Asterkarn (Based on suggestion by BB_Shockwave and CaiusMartius )
    I agree here, you just zap through the place. Apart from the whacko in a deer costume and the Stormheart urn there is little incentive to take a detour.
    I don’t think you need to expand the area, just adding a mini quest would fix it.
  1. Smuggler’s Pass Aetherfire (Based on suggestion by Dioarchet)
    This bugged me back in the old days. As a newbie, I used clusters and what not trying to explore the supposed secret but found none.
    Atleast place a note there :smiley:
  1. Maw of Apesh (Based on Suggestion by Mauricius)
    Yes, this. Interested in exploring it.
    Bugs me that it appears on the world map but isn’t accessible.
    He also listed some other places that I am pretty sure I had forgotten existed such as Coven at Stonereach, Island north of Tyrant’s hold and Area north of Port Valbury.
  1. Island at the center of the map (Based on Suggestion by Volek)
    This has bugged me for a while, I always thought this was Hargate’s Island. Turns out I am wrong.

This ends my wishlist. All credits to the people giving the suggestions in their respective posts.

9 Likes

There used to be a quest that let you break through a little bit to grab something. Hm, I’m not 100% sure it’s gone, but I don’t recall getting the quest in a long time.

Yes…

MOAR snow areas…i want to go into the mountains of asterkarn and meet what’s been up there. Were the cthonics and the aetherials able to breach up into the mountains?

Are there people up there?

Or is there a huge castle with a undead known as THE WINTER KING!

Ive been asking for years for a snow themed expansion, well we aren’t gonna get that but another snowy area wouldn’t hurt.

4 Likes

You’d probably need to change yer pants if Zantai just dropped a meme on ya…

…and didn’t say anything else.

2 Likes

funny thing about northern snow barbarian tribes in cairn, korba and the wolf king gears require nightblade+shaman class combination to be used appropriately as their thematic cold berserker builds. and nightblade+shaman = trickster. expect new snow areas to be tricky if its ever made.

here’s the lore items for arya & eddard sta— i mean, korba & king hrothnar in gd. they’re one tricky trickserker:
korba

winter%20king
winter%20king%202

hmm, looking back into the lore of it… does ruler of the northern reaches mean they are a part of the erulan empire? or an independent nation itself which makes them called barbarian tribes of the north by erulan people?

yeah, we need more northern snowy content in gd! more cold damage please.

5 Likes

I never understood the aversion to making downwards progression on the map.

Is it so much to ask the players to press mouse wheel and move their mouse slightly? The functionality has been there all along and it takes like 2 seconds.

I sometimes even rotate the camera just for the sake of changing it up. Playing with the camera turned 90 degrees to either side or even upside down is pretty refreshing.

Even during normal gameplay, whenever I am progressing downwards (like in the void for example), I rotate to camera to see better.

2 Likes

It does make it difficult to see enemies below you so you can get surprised now and then. For myself, I never rotate the camera; just not a function I’m interested in. The few games I tried that had it following your direction made me feel sick to my stomach and I stopped playing them.

1 Like

everyone wants Old Grove reopened for business, its been under quarantined for almost a decade now and Crate will forever be haunted by its loyal fans for teasing something from alpha and not releasing to open public, such a shame really. They can be sued for false advertising really :grin:

The solution for camera and stomach problems is a south up map orientation… a, 180 degree move putting the map upside down… the southern bridge is openedd up but instead of going south, players go upward. (Once you enter the southern region the map is automatically turned upside down to give an illusion of going up Entire Old Grove section should not be connected directly to Devils Crossing to achieve this. ( cut off via a loading screeen)

1 Like