ARPG community’s a bit active of late, isn’t it? Many new faces are joining us, and some old ones are coming back from retirement. We’re happy to have you. Somehow it feels like Grim Dawn’s best years are still ahead of it!
There are rumors abound of a v1.2 coming…of MOAR? It’s all tantalizingly close, but we are not ready to go into full detail just yet. But…let us dust off the ol’ tome for a moment with a little misadventure to hold you over.
Grim Dawn version v1.2.0 is going to be entering the public playtest later this Summer with an expected release in the late Summer/early Fall. This update is, to put it mildly…a big one. We have gone through literally hundreds if not thousands of data entries to bring you quality of life improvements and breathe some fresh air into the game.
V1.2.0 will deliver upon our promise to implement some of the outdated Grim Internals utility.
These are the features we are planning to implement:
- Option to disable Day-Night Cycle
- Option to disable Fog
- Option to display Cooldown Counters on the quickbar
- Auto-Pick Up Radius can now be increased
- New visual alerts for Legendaries, Monster Infrequents, Double Rares, and Double Rare Monster Infrequents. In addition, Monster Infrequents will be marked by an icon to separate them from standard Rare items.
- New options for monster health bars, including thicker visuals and option to display % values and active debuffs
In addition, we plan on improving certain boss runs in the future, though not in v1.2.0. This will come in the form of better shortcuts, but also making the boss runs themselves more lucrative and enjoyable. Teleporting directly to a boss room is basically a cheat, and while some players are content with cheating in this manner (it’s a game, have fun, you do you), we think it’s better to make things more fun in general.
One such change we are planning to make is with drop rates. Getting a good Monster Infrequent roll is already a lot of RNG. There is no need to also have your boss attempts cheat you out of a chance of getting that roll in the first place. As such, all Bosses will have a 100% chance to drop their (non-legendary) Monster Infrequents.
Which brings us to the other half of this update. In addition to the usual round of balancing and bug fixes, we are planning MOAR. Here is but a taste:
- You will be able to play the entirety of the game up to the level cap on the difficulty that’s enjoyable to you. To support this, level scaling will be updated on Normal and Elite difficulty. Many areas on Normal will scale up to level 100. Elite difficulty will scale up to level 100 in all areas. Loot quality and experience gains will remain higher on higher difficulties, as before, but if playing up to level 100 on a more relaxed difficulty is for you, then we feel there is no reason to stop you. Have fun!
- Toggled buff effects will be automatically toggled on and no longer need to be on the skill bar. Toggled skills with energy costs will have those costs removed. Anyone that has 2 exclusive skills learned on their character for some reason will want to pick one though, or the game will choose for you.
- To top it off, you will be able to disable visuals for toggled buffs in the game options to improve visual clarity on your character and to show off all that gear.
- The Nullification mechanic (ex. Arcane heroes) will be overhauled. It will purge all temporary buffs and Disable toggled buffs for 2 seconds. No more fumbling through your skill bars to turn auras back on.
- For the modders out there, the console will log lua errors in custom games. We are also looking into enable certain debug commands for you, such as the debug cursor for locating game coordinates.
- Pets will default to an Aggressive stance rather than the Normal stance. This setting can still be toggled on a pet by pet basis as desired.
- You will be able to select your desired Main Menu theme in the game options.
As for what is beyond v1.2.0…now I am not saying there might be something more in the future…but maybe I am saying there is something more in the future…
Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Stay tuned for the next Grim Misadventure