Grim Misadventure #176 - So the New Thing

Pretty sure Lokar can be reached without toggling auras, but we’ll make sure it’s still doable. We’re not going to make previous content impossible with a QoL change.

7 Likes

seems to be working well for blizzard tho :thinking:

:grin:

4 Likes

A Veteran-like difficulty modifier for higher difficulties (Elite and Ultimate would br great

can…can we get some visual improvements?

4 Likes

What about at least increased stash though? As mentioned, there’s a lot more gear to find now, it’s a massive pita for HC - especially for levelling gear - and ‘just use an external tool’ doesn’t work for things like Community seasons, not to mention the multiple implementations out there in various supported states.

Having it in the base game just makes everything a lot easier, without going anywhere near the hoarding levels of ‘infinite.’

Sure, some people will always say it’s never enough, but I believe a lot of those who have sunk decent time into the game and/or level multiple characters (particularly HC) would say what’s there is definitely not enough.

Or add a components/quest items stash at least. Or in a game of many build classes, conversions and unique items, we should just play one char?

In addition to what Gnomish_Inquisition posted earlier, here’s a a couple more.

"The stash topic has been discussed (and answered) to death.

If you wish to have infinite storage, mods exist for that purpose.

The game has as much storage as we feel is ideal for the playerbase as a whole."

2 Likes

!!!
I will never stop being surprised by how amazing y’all are. Grim Dawn is that One ARPG that I always come back to, and receiving not just regular support for it but NEW content and such big updates even though you have a second project now is just incredible. I can’t express how happy I am right now :purple_heart:

2 Likes

While I am grateful for all the free support and updates, I am really not happy with most of the planned changes.

First of all, I agree with those who mentioned guaranteed drops. This is not only not necessary but completely against the nature of a Diablo-style, loot-based game.

Second, the change to Nullification trivilalizes the skill and renders enemies with the skill hapless nuisances instead of dangerous foes. If anthing, this should be a toggleable feature, and I would toggle it off instantly.

Third, the planned implementation of features from Grim Internals is a nice touch, but the ones suggested by the post are literally all of the ones I neither use nor need, while all the ones I actually use are not there. The most important one for me has always been the game speed increase.

Fourth, enemies on Elite already scale far too high if you own both expansions. There should be a reason to advance to Ultimate, and making everything scale to the player’s level up to the maximum level renders the point in all of this moot.

1 Like

GD servers incoming ??? =))) online coop play?

Not for GD1, no. Doubt it would happen for any GD2 either unless they make it so the game could also be modded.

1 Like

this already exists tho?
you don’t need servers for that

yep kinda troublesome to bug friends to login a game to stash gear :stuck_out_tongue: and then all of us left
hoarding n stash managment got tiresome :confused:

The Butcher’s Cleaver, Arkaine’s Valor, Griswold’s Edge… just to name a few that are guaranteed rewards in D1. Also Undead Crown, Veil of Steel…

Not at all. 2 seconds while swamped with monsters and your life leech already making your life bar bounce back and forth, losing part of your defenses can mean an instant death, meaning that you’ll still need to either build tankier or avoid as before. The way I see it is a well-deserved nerf to crucible performance, but then again I’m biased against that game mode, hah.

Honestly, having a stable way of speeding up the more boring farms would be both nice and a fun way of spicing things up for less “sleep-inducing” builds, and make defensive and footslogging setups a little less penalized compared to zoomy-zoom builds with 3 movement skills. I don’t know how much of a compromise it’d be, but exposing game speed in a configuration file would still let us speed up the game to our heart’s content without being “as official” as a part of the options menu.

I think making it part of the “veteran” toggle and making that toggle available to all difficulties (well, technically just elite, but ultimate veteran sounds cool too) would fit everyone the best, turning it into our very own “Covenant of the Champions” of the Dark Souls 2 fame. As for scaling on elite, the only reason to stay there is to farm Legendary MI-sets like Krieg’s, because otherwise you are getting less loot than XP, and XP makes you weaker and loot makes you stronger. That’s the other part of scaling monsters that people tend to forget.

2 Likes

This thread shows how hard it is to be a gamedev, lol. E.g.so many people asking for an increase in game speed, while I think Grim Dawn’s gameplay pacing is absolutely perfect. I would hate it if either GD or a potential GD2 turned into a zoom-zoom click fest in the style of PoE, D3 or even D4.

I think all such changes, that deviate from core principles according to which the original Grim Dawn was designed, should always remain optional.

I would like to comment on two more things:

First, really, the bumping of the chance that a boss drops its MI from 50% to 100% is all in all good. Those MI are often build-enabling, due to skill modifiers, and it is good to allow people to play a certain build without too much grinding. And let’s face it, if now the chance to drop it was 35%, you had to run the boss 3 times to get the item. That’s not really grinding.

There are two things about MIs that I think require a nuanced approach. First, I think it’s fine if getting really good rolls on the item requires a lot of grinding - say a hundred runs, or more. In that way, you could satisfy both the casuals (always get the item) and min-maxers (need to grind to get a really good version of the item).

Secondly, I recall Zantai mentioned recently that MIs will have a greater chance to drop with affixes that boost the damage type of the skill they modify. So, a Dermapteran Slicer will have an increased chance to drop with Superior or Puncturing. I think that this could lead to trivializing the hunt for them. I remember when I farned those Slicers, I needed 10 or 15 runs to get a Puncturing one, instead of Charged or whatever. And that was really satisfying! I think a lot of that satisfaction would be gone if they always, or almost always, drop with Puncturing.
The second thing here is that some skills have converted damage uses. So, an item geared toward Storm Totem shouldn’t always drop with boost to Lightning damage, because it would make it hard for players who use the Totem in a converted way.

The other big thing I wanted to say is to agree with something that someone already mentioned here: it would be good if we could have some kind of a visual upgrade. All in all, the game looks great - but, it looks even better with some third party addons (e g. Reforge of Dawn Reshade preset makes the game look much crisper, almost as if you bumped the resolution; I haven’t tried it yet, but some people speak highly of GrimTex mod, that remasters textures). Maybe it would be good to have some such improvement from the official source, because those are always better than mods.

I want to end with this: if none of what we suggest here gets implemented, the fact that game is still being worked on is fantastic, and the Grim Dawn gaming community really has nothing to complain about.

6 Likes

I remember Zantai mentioning reducing cooldowns of movement skills on the Discord. If Crate decides to do that, it will decrease this difference. I’m a slow player, use the speed up very rarely, don’t like zooming but I admit to having bias towards masteries with additional movement skill. I’d love if Shadow Strike worked with Ranged weapons for this reason (could deal 0 damage afaik).

1 Like

Always assuming you use movement skills of course. I don’t, but then I like the pace of the game as it is and prefer to have a different skill on my RMB than a movement one.

Yep, main reason I droped POE for GD some time ago. :+1:
Having some faster builds with double ms abilities is fine and all but turning GD into a zoom fest?!
Nahh… f*** that. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is just awesome <3 am stoked, looking forward to it. Time to buy this for some more friends to try XD

2 Likes

You said you were done with this game… and I am so happy you aren’t.

As a more “casual” player (compared to people who frequent this forum) I love easier distinction of MI’s from other rare items, as well as guaranteed drops from their monsters. I never played with any mods, and I don’t need every bit of info on my screen, but more visible cooldowns and double rare notifications are cool.

One thing I’m not sure about is the max level scaling for difficulties being removed, but then again it will make it way nicer that you can just farm a MI for your current level on normal or elite before moving on to ultimate, if you are like me and finish the game normally on one of those difficulties instead of using the difficulty skipping item.

1 Like

It’s not the auras themselves that kill him - it’s the cascade of procs they start. I once managed to kill him with a single tick of Ulzuin’s wrath, leaving me just to sit there, watch the inferno unfolding and thinking to myself “fuck”.

Edit: to be fair, my biggest concern is probably cosmetic. I don’t want to disable all aura visuals, not do I want to see Whirling blades on my Ultos warder. Yes, I know this is a silly reason.