Grim Misadventure #184 - Unusually Itemized

Verily, a Grim Misadventure is here. Last time, we unveiled the entirety of the absolutely massive Ascension Mode coming with Fangs of Asterkarn next year. Today’s update may not be quite as groundbreaking, but you really cannot go wrong with some hot new weapons from the artists.

But before we get into hot weapons, we should really talk about today’s sponsor…the plushie you all voted for. Yes, for a few more days, you can make Byscilla, Matron of Plushies a reality. Don’t make Byscilla sad, she’s got a sacrificial knife:

As you may have seen in our previous item reveal (this one, not that one), we have been experimenting with some new modifiers for your skills for the upcoming expansion. You will be able to enhance your baseline Evade ability, and your weapon pool skills (WPS) will finally get a boost that lets you specialize in them by improving their activation chance.

This latest batch of items follows this trend with some fun new ways to change up your playstyle.

Note: as always, everything you are seeing today is in active development and subject to change. Nothing is set in stone until it is!

Aeon’s Eye

A strange necklace! It seems to warp the fabric of the pet-time continuum.

Brand of the Crimson Company

For those that wish for their shield to go bonk too. And yes, it works with guns!

Vidurian’s Suppressor

A crossbow that shoots knives? What will they think of next?

Widowspine

Dreeg’s Evil Grenado?

We mentioned last time that Fangs of Asterkarn will feature over 210 unique items and over 90 monster infrequents. That number only keeps growing. There are already over 400 new skill modifiers, and we still have to finish itemizing the new set items and awakened epics!

On the topic of awakening epics, we will cover the hows and whys in a future update (hint: it is not going to be all that complicated), but here is one example that should illustrate what kind of results you can expect from such a transmutation:

Awakened Epic 1 Awakened Epic 2

With a few exceptions, Awakened Epics are intended to take the playstyles supported by the original item and bring them up to the power level of Legendaries. This means new skill procs and modifiers and even more gear support than ever before!

There is plenty more left to do before the expansion is ready next year. Plenty more left to show too! The next dev update is bound to leave you…howling for more.

No idea what is even going on here. Seems shady.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 09/23/2024 for the next Grim Misadventure!

82 Likes

This is a great way of communicating the pet-player scaling transition that surely will not be ignored/missed by anyone!

21 Likes

Now why would a one-handed ranged crossbow add skill points and modifiers to Nightblade melee skills? Hmmmmm

6 Likes

Onslaught hits right home :smiley:
The item awakening sample is exactly what I expected (and exactly what is needed to make them competitive with end-game gear).
Also Wendigo. Two Wendigos. One smaller and one bigger. Hmm hmm hmm. The next GM is shapeshifting to be what many have been longing for. :smiley:

1 Like

+2 to Bloodborne? I’d be fine with just +1 to Bloodborne…

10 Likes

Clearly that crossbow is for bashing people in melee.

I’m curious - will any of the existing legs/sets get a pass adding new mechanics like charges to them? Or are vanilla/AoM/FG items expected to be set in stone as of yet?

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :star_struck: Really cool

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Thanks.

I must say, wearing Ravagers as pauldrons is definitely a new era for the MI fashion.

4 Likes

Finally, Bloodborne on PC.

7 Likes

Will every epic item be awakened (ones before this expansion) during release or will it be worked on throughout?

Other than that keep up the great work

1 Like

Looking forward to 2025 :sweat_smile:

new special item icons? :thinking:

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

Please make an item that turns summon skeletons into player scaled pets!! Next year can’t come fast enough!!

I think that’s just showing the bitmaps since Amulets don’t have models and Medals don’t have much visual distinction.

5 Likes

Pet scaled Wind Devil, Thermite Mines, Guardians, etc when?

Fwuff Scorv

4 Likes

How about ALL pets scale with player bonuses. Would maybe simplify things. Just saying. :yum:

Confirmed, yay

Looked like really big arms… but eh, I realize that’s just perspective now. :rofl: :see_no_evil:
I assume these belong to the bloody bear man nonetheless.

1 Like

awesome!!!