Grim Misadventure #21: Soldier Mastery - Part 2

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! Today’s update will conclude our Soldier reveal. If you had missed the first part, you can catch up here.

We last left you with some of the core skills you will have access to within the Soldier mastery, but let us delve deeper. Players that invest more heavily in the Soldier mastery will find a selection of powerful buffs and defenses.

A reference for reference so you can reference

Field Command
“A superior sense of discipline and knowledge of battlefield tactics makes you a natural leader in the heat of battle.”

Field Command is an area effect buff that steels your allies and yourself against impending combat by increasing attack speed and defenses. This skill does not have a 100% uptime, so careful use is paramount to getting the most out of the buff. The modifier will increase the offensive capabilities of your party further by increasing all damage.

Scars of Battle
“Through countless violent encounters, you have seen the worst that battle has to offer. The horrors of war no longer hinder your actions, and neither does a little spilled blood.”

Scars of Battle is a passive skill that makes you naturally more resistant to some of the extreme challenges that will be thrown at you. Investing in Scars of Battle will grant resistance to bleed damage, stuns and freezes.

Oleron’s Rage
“Call out to the war deity, Oleron. Oleron is an ancient aspect that inspires unwavering ferocity in his followers.”

Oleron’s Rage is one of the two ultimate skills you can unlock in the Soldier mastery. It is a powerful offensive buff with a long cooldown and a short duration, but during that time you will become a vicious force of destruction, with increased damage, offensive ability and total speed.

Menhir’s Bulwark
“Call out to the earth deity, Menhir. Menhir is an ancient aspect that blesses his followers with the tenacity of the very earth.”

Menhir’s Bulwark is the second of the ultimate skills available to the Soldier and represents the pinnacle in survivability. For a short duration, you will gain a damage absorbing shield, vastly increased health regeneration and powerful retaliation effects. This skill has a long cooldown, so use it wisely.

This wraps up our Soldier reveal. Check back on 05/27/13 for the first part of our Demolitionist introduction!

Attachment: Field Command.jpg
Attachment: Menhir’s Bulwark.jpg
Attachment: Oleron’s Rage.jpg
Attachment: Scars of Battle.jpg

Nice,nice.

Nice update! “cooldown” a word I have come to hate, especially in ARPGs… :frowning:

awesome, looks like a lot of useful skills, so a nice tree

On the Menhir’s Bulwark:

For a short duration, you will gain a damage shield, vastly increased health regeneration and powerful retaliation effects.

Can you explain on what exactly that does? Buff to shield damage? Or maybe a limited shield that can absorb X amount of damage?

So- Oleron’s Rage and Menhir’s Bulwark is the skills when you reached level 75 or???

It is a temporary buff that absorbs X damage.

Well 3 skill points per level.

Without getting any other skill; you’ll be around level 17 or 18 to get them. Provided you live that long without a single point in any other skill.

Edit:

Cool thanks. The way it was worded sounded… odd. :rolleyes: Maybe it’s too early in the morning.

cool… now to the occultist??? :smiley:

actually you didnt give the whole mastery skills’ definition ?is it intended or other are just their upgrades or stat upgrades?

You could theoretically unlock it by level 18. Tales will be sung of your glory if you manage to achieve this without ever dying.

And spoil everything all at once? I’m sure you will be looking at them yourself soon :cool:

I think they’re going to hide it until Alpha comes around. Something about spoilers and surprises… :rolleyes:

Uh oh Zantai you shouldn’t have said soon. People are going to be going even more crazy now :smiley: Another awesome Grim Misadventure Zantai! Can’t wait to have a look at the mastery while in game in the future.

Cool update but I fear that the last two ultimate skills will make you a boss killing machine, unless other masteries will synergise well enough with the Soldier mastery. I just don’t see the reason why would you spec in any other skills. My question will propably be answered when we’ll see the Demolitionist mastery. :slight_smile:

I think we’ll be ok:

but how soon is soon? we been waiting for a while now, so how soon is soon?

Hopefully people will die, as you know someone will accept that challenge do it then everyone will cry that the game is to easy.

Digging your own grave =(

Thanks for update. Well if I understand good, the two most highest level skills are bufs?

Little disappointed their, expected some active oriented attack or something similar.

Zantai can you divulge on some of the other lore aspects like Oleron and Menhir given in the examples? How many deities are there? Do other classes use the same deities or a completely different group? Do these deities have any involvement between the Aetherials and Chthonians? Or are they merely flavor text for skills?

I fully respect a “No comment” for an answer to keep it somewhat spoiler free for us. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking up a bit on the subject I ran across this old gem:

You will sometimes encounter groups of Aetherial and Chthonian forces fighting one another but the Chthonians won’t really have a big appearance until our next release.

Which at first I was like :confused: but then I was like :D. I’m going to think of the Chthonians like the White Walkers in Game of Thrones. You would get maybe a shadowy glimpse or just hear of the stories, edging you on as your imagination was trying to piece together what these beings truly are. A fantastic way to incorporate story telling in a visual setting.

Mhhh looks tasty ! However, i hope the 2 ultimate buffs won t have a to long cooldown to stay attractive.

I nearlt never invested points into the skill that made us huge for a while with a 120 seconds CD in the war mastery of TQ…;can t remember the exact name but long cooldowns can be a big downside in fast paced games in my opinion :slight_smile:

Although interesting I’m not too sure anymore about playing “the bestial strength” guy as my first toon.
I’ve always done so uptil now, but on first sight it feels like he relies too much on buffs & less ravaging skills to tear his enemies apart.

I’ll possibly go for demo first then.

Nice update Zantai. You’re my hero <33 :wink: