Grim Misadventure #22: Demolitionist Mastery - Part 1

Hello, denizens of Cairn! Grim Dawn’s alpha is now well under way but if you had missed the announcement, you can read it here.

Today, we will continue our Mastery reveals with the introduction to the Demolitionist. If you missed our Soldier reveal, you can catch up here and here.

Expert Demolitionists provided this build

“Pyrotechnic masters of the imperial army; Demolitionists are part engineer; part sorcerer. They were used to break enemy ranks and breach fortifications with their devastating array of explosives and destructive magic. They usually prefer to fight at range; engaging enemies with guns, traps and explosives but they can also be proficient with melee weapons.”

A Demolitionist excels at range, hurling powerful explosives and debilitating charges. A Demolitionist thrives when everything is either burning, exploding, or somewhere in-between. None of the Demolitionist’s skills are weapon dependent, so both melee and ranged builds can be made viable.

Below are some of the lower level skills you can unlock as a bomb hurling pyro:

Stun Jacks
“Throw out an array of tiny, electrically charged jacks that will temporarily stop enemies in their tracks.”

Stun Jacks is a short range ability that throws three electrifying projectiles that explode upon coming in contact with an enemy. Should they not strike a target, they will remain where they land for a second, creating a hazard for any oncoming enemies. Enemies hit by Stun Jacks will take lightning damage over time and become stunned. Modifiers for this skill increase the lightning damage and add additional projectiles.

Flashbang
“A blinding light temporarily confuses enemies and disrupts their ability to defend themselves.”

Flashbang is a potent debuff skill that confuses weaker enemies and reduces their defensive ability significantly. The modifier adds a fumble component for both ranged and melee attacks.

Blast Shield
“A combination of military equipment and sorcery creates a shield capable of absorbing a fixed amount pierce and fire damage before collapsing.”

Blast Shield is a targeted buff, which means you can cast it on your allies. The shield absorbs a fixed amount of pierce and fire damage before collapsing. While the shield is up, any attacks against you will trigger fire damage to the attacker. The modifier tempers your equipment, increasing your armor and weapon damage while the buff is active.

Blackwater Cocktail
“Blackwater Cocktails were concocted when more conventional explosives ran low. These improvised fire bombs leave a self-fueled blaze upon impact and are particularly effective against tightly packed enemies.”

Blackwater Cocktail is a pyromaniac’s dream. This skill hurls an exploding projectile which coats the area with living flame. Any enemy that passes through the flame will catch on fire. If you manage to keep your target within the flame throughout its duration, it can deal extreme damage. The first modifier for this skill causes it to reduce armor. The second modifier reduces enemy damage and gives a chance to cause your enemies to flee in terror.

Building your Demolitionist:
Players focusing on the Demolitionist mastery can take advantage of a wide selection of destructive area attacks and armor-melting fire. A Demolitionist embodies the definition of a pyromaniac.

Players focused on other masteries should pick Demolitionist for their second mastery if they want powerful damage boosters and potent area of effect skills. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Commando, Pyromancer, Saboteur, and Deathdealer.

Check back on 6/10/13 for the follow-up to our Demolitionist reveal!

Attachment: Blackwater Cocktail.jpg
Attachment: Blast Shield.jpg
Attachment: Flashbang.jpg
Attachment: Stun Jacks.jpg
Attachment: Demolitionist Mastery.jpg

Tried the Soldier first, Demolitionist second, and haven’t even looked at the Occultist yet - Demo is for me :D. Can’t wait to see the Arcanist Mastery as Deathdealer has a nice ring to it.

Haven’t tried Blast Shield, gotta do that.

got to admit I do like this mastery, nice job on it, as some of the skills are pretty damn powerful

I freakin’ love Blackwater Cocktail, you can cause insane amounts of mass destruction with it.
:smiley:

Ooo Deathdealer sounds awesome.

When’s the beta coming out again?

Lol

72 unspent points; how does one get the gear to progress with no skills?
Tell me! PLEASE!

Now this sounds like fun! Who wouldn’t love to be called a good “bomb hurling pyro”?

Nice update. Thanx Zantai!

Demolitionist is a fun mastery and i just love all the explosion skills. Probably will try the combination with Soldier.

To me this class seems to be full of overlapping skills. Cocktail, Grenado, Cluster bomb, Mortar and Mines are all too similar to each other.

Then comes the problem of why is cocktail so powerful at low levels and how much is it going to suck later?
Why is grenado on a such high cooldown, direct hit, low AoE, no DoT? While we can spam cocktail like crazy.
Why is Cluster bomb (whatever it is called) so much weaker then cocktail because its other smaller bombs rarely hit anything?

Mortar has way too low range and its grenades fly way too slow, skill is pretty useless as it is as it will never hit anything melee and its range is too low for ranged enemies in the back that you can take out faster with cocktail.

And as I said, all these skill are too similar to each other, at least make them different by letting some go off faster then others. Like one of these skills could be fired from a primitive bazooka and will fly straight. That could also explain its cooldown as you need to reload the weapon.
And Mortar if it stays as bad as it is now would be more useful to fire the cluster bombs instead of us throwing them.

Flashbang is unbelievably awesome for crowd control, working on getting the Fumble component.

My only complaint about flashbang is when it hits certain types of enemies (Bone Rats for example) it can be hard to see if they were debuffed or not.

Thinking about investing a few more points into Demo on my Commando to try out Canister Bomb. :smiley:

Canister Bomb is not special, especially if you are multiclassing. It pales in comparison to other fire skills.

Thanks Zantai.

awesome! my character has demo and occult pretty darn awesome! only lvl22 when i beat every area with partial ease :smiley:

Demo is the best choice for pure Soldier build - for 2 points you get an excellent crowd control skill (flash). Occultist requires at least 5 pts to mastery + several pts in skills to be actually useful which is waste for pure build…

Canister is too far for multiclass, but for pure demo its an awesome AoE skill (maybe even the best) in lategame, when Coctail and Grenade start to suck. After upgradin to 7+ shrapnels its total annihilation of the whole screen… :smiley:

I was looking for tips on how the general build but all I see is the same empty schedule I have myself. So what is the point of the thread?

Actually I started with this class but gave up on it because I felt it was too weak.

I then did the Mage type (sorry can’t remember now what it is called here) and I find it incredible. I am level 25 with it now and greatly enjoying it.
In the meantime I also started the Assassin type and am enjoying that too.

Please refer to this thread for different builds that people created.

This thread was merely a presentation of the Demolitionist class before the alpha was released.