Grim Misadventure #57: Factions - Black Legion

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures, the internet’s #1 source of new information on what’s coming to Grim Dawn. First, we have an announcement: You may have noticed that the website look a little bit different when you loaded it up today (if it’s not, try refreshing with Ctrl-F5). That’s because we have finished Grim Dawn’s game guide! You can now use our website as an extensive source of information on Grim Dawn’s mechanics and features, with something there for both the new players and veterans alike.

To view the game guide, you can visit this page. Please let us know if you run into any issues while browsing the new pages. Enjoy!

In today’s Grim Misadventure, we would like to talk a little more about factions. Factions represent the various conflicts of interest that you will experience in Grim Dawn, whether that is through arch-enemies battling it out in the wilderness (Aetherials vs. Chthonians) or a chance meeting with a traveler who happens to be part of a mysterious group known as the Order of Death’s Vigil.

The system behind these interactions is still being developed, and we can’t wait to show you what’s in store for the revamped Faction System, but first we would like to introduce you to some of the major players you will encounter in Act 3.

The first in the series is the famous Black Legion.

The Black Legion

Founded over four centuries ago by decree of the emperor, the Black Legion was to be a resolution for the empire’s increasingly overcrowded prisons. Hundreds of convicted criminals were given two options: the executioner’s axe or service in the emperor’s army. This group formed the backbone of a new imperial legion deployed to the forefront of some of the empire’s most brutal conflicts.

Many of the hardened criminals met a gruesome death at the vanguard, but those that survived battle after battle became some of the empire’s most effective soldiers. Over generations, the Black Legion was tempered through the fires of war into a force few would even dare meet in open combat.

Most famous of such events was the rebellion in the City of Venmar, 215 years before the Grim Dawn, where, upon hearing of the Black Legion’s imminent arrival at the gates, the rebels laid down their arms and begged for mercy before their deposed magistrate. Ironically, the insurgents were then sentenced to serve in the Legion, where most perished under the harsh conditions the troops were often exposed to during campaigns.

The Black Legion quickly became one of the deadliest weapons at the command of the emperor, earning them the moniker “Death’s Bannermen”, but it also began to serve a more sinister purpose. Though the Legion originally conscripted new members from the criminal population, many officials close to the emperor began to use the Legion as a way to dispose of undesirable political rivals and outspoken public figures. Many practitioners of the arcane and the occult arts thus found themselves unwittingly in the service of the very empire that shunned their powers. To decline meant certain death.

Many of the facts surrounding the Legion’s dark history have become muddled by time, even amongst some of the Legion’s own. The fact remains though that the Black Legion is a force to be reckoned with, and their fiercely trained loyalty to the emperor ensures that they will go down to the last man before giving in to the invading Aetherial and Chthonian forces.

Do you have what it takes to fight alongside the imperial elite? You will get to find out in Act 3.

Check back on 11/10/2014 for the next dev update!

Attachment: Faction_BlackLegion01.jpg
Attachment: Factions_BlackLegion_Feet01.jpg
Attachment: Factions_BlackLegion_Head01.jpg
Attachment: Factions_BlackLegion_Torso01.jpg

Nice update!

Love the guide and the Black Legion!!

The new “Design” to the forumsite is looking very cool :cool:
very helpfull for new players and people that still need to know some things about the game

keep up the good work!!

even I am reading the guide and learning new things…

Congrats for the guide !

and can’t wait to know more details about the faction system… the Black legion looks awesome !

These Black Legion guys and girls better join our fight against powers of evil or they’ll pay :slight_smile:

Looks really good…honestly one of the most professional non-in-game update you guys have put out so far.

I wonder what is this going to be like :slight_smile:

you have seen nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

that was a mistake on the guide haha :eek:

Weird, when I click that link, I see this.

I hope we get to wear the black legion armour since it looks so kick ass i want a set!!

Looking forward to act 3.

Have taken a quick look at the guide and like it for the most part. I would prefer a little more detail though, e.g. for Physique it says “Every point of Physique increases your health and Defensive Ability,” but not by how much, same for the other stats

Why is the title of the site Grim DAWNG ?

YAY for factions, these guys look pretty sweet.

Try Ctrl-F5. Your page did not refresh correctly.

You guys going to make me cry ,game is already so good and you keep making it better thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks Zantai !
So Devotion is still a mystery

Sounds like the Adult version.

Something tells me that if you earn enough favor with them, they will offer you their specialty equipment. :cool:

What a teaser… I need those boots so I do whatever they want :slight_smile:

btw, Retaliation mechanic is not covered in the game guide

The concept art in the guide is great!!! Some super sweet looking items, hope we see them :smiley: