Grim Misadventure #69: Nemesis

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! Last time, we talked about some of the high-end rewards for gaining the respect of Cairn’s various factions. This time, we are going to go in the opposite direction. What happens when you have really pissed off a faction?

In Grim Dawn, whenever you slay your enemies, the faction they belong to will become increasingly hostile towards you by sending more and more powerful foes to deal with your meddling. This culminates in some of the ultimate challenges the game has to offer: Nemesis Spawns.

Despised Status
At the first tier of infamy, you will begin to see additional champion spawns, sometimes that will include monsters that do not normally spawn in an area appearing to bolster their forces, such as more powerful chthonic beings around cultist camps.

This is just the beginning on the road to becoming a faction’s Nemesis though.

Hated Status
Upon reaching Hated Status, the faction knows that you are not someone to be trifled with. You will begin to see an increased rate of Hero Monster spawns for that faction wherever you may find their forces. In the case of Kymon’s Chosen and the Order of Death’s Vigil, this will be the first time you even encounter their heroes.

Nemesis Status
Nemesis tier represents the pinnacle for hostile factions. This is when you have angered the group to the point where the gloves come off, no more holding back. This is when you will begin to see Nemesis spawns.

Nemesis spawns are ultra-bosses, some of the toughest encounters you will face in Grim Dawn, and they have a chance to appear in just about any area where their faction is present. Should you encounter one, do not try to flee; it is already too late. A Nemesis spawn will pursue you far beyond the leash range of regular monsters. And when you inevitably die a painful death, the Nemesis will feast upon your wretched remains, regaining some of its lost vitality in the process.

Should you somehow prevail, vast riches await you within the Nemesis Chest, with a guaranteed Epic item and, in the future, an increased chance of finding Legendary items.

But do not fool yourself with the promise of wealth. These chests will only open should the Nemesis guarding them be defeated, no easy task. Below are just two examples of the horrors that await you:

Moosilauke, the Chillwind – Nemesis spawn of the Undead

Moosilauke, a tortured amalgamation of countless Arkovian souls, was trapped deep within the depths of the Steps of Torment for centuries. Its bloated bulk is coated with shards of magical ice, a remnant of a time spent within a frozen tomb deep beneath the earth. But the undying Arkovians have set this behemoth free so that its icy wrath may be unleashed upon the world.

Do you have what it takes to stop this ancient horror?

Fabius “the Unseen” Gonzar – Nemesis spawn of Cronley’s Gang

Fabius was once a Nightblade, a trained assassin under the employ of Erulan’s elite; but he grew tired of the political games and endless intrigue that plagued the court. Disillusioned with high society, Fabius took out his frustration upon the unsuspecting noble family he once served. He was eventually captured by the First Blade, but not before laying his daggers to the throats of three noble lords and ladies.

For these crimes, Fabius was incarcerated at an undisclosed location, his due with the hangman’s noose inevitable. But as chance would have it, there Fabius came in contact with a charismatic man named Darius Cronley. Cronley offered the dishonored Nightblade a life of blood and riches, all in return for his loyalty. Fabius accepted.

Now he serves as Cronley’s secret weapon, the unseen blade that silently eliminates all who would oppose the criminal overlord. When you become the Nemesis of Cronley’s Gang, Fabius will have his eye set upon you. Will you survive an encounter with one of Cairn’s most dangerous assassins?

With the release of Build 25, each hostile faction will feature one Nemesis within their spawn pools. More of these difficult challenges may be introduced in future builds.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 04/27/2015 for our regular development updates!

Attachment: Nemesis_GolemBone_P2-01.jpg
Attachment: Nemesis_OutlawMurder01.jpg
Attachment: Chest.jpg

I don’t even know where to begin…

You guys keep coming up with some amazing features for this game.

Keep it up, Crate!

EDIT: I wish that my characters on the character selection screen could strike badass poses like Fabius.

uhhh this looks promising. :slight_smile:
the artwork looks amazing, can’t wait!
any spoilers about build 25 release date?

Holy Molly! YES!!! =)

Thanks for update!

Play Madonna’s Vogue while playing GD? :slight_smile:

Nice update, looking forward to it!

:D:D

Maybe LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It :stuck_out_tongue:

yay, these guys look challenging, hopefully i’am prepared when i first meet some of them.

just some quick questions: can you explain how they will spawn in the world ? for example, if i create a game ist it allready deterimined that a nemesis is waiting for me in a fitting area if i have the faction status ? or is that rolled every time i change into new areas/maps or maybe they spawn randomly while fighting other mobs ?
will there be a kind of counter that prevents them from spawning too often within a session ?

anyway good job here, as allwys !

One of the better updates! Looks very cool.

Wow! So excited for Nemesis spawns!

I have a feeling Fabius will be quite the challenge, I’m looking forward to it!

Awwww yeah… :cool:

Looks great! :smiley:

Oh shit, it lokks like i need to farm more. I NEED THE NEMESIS STATUS!

So… when’s B25 coming? no timeline given in the post itself? Hopefully within the next week or two?

Those are going to make for some fun & varied farming runs! Shame there’s only one Nemesis per group at the start.

I really like these small background stories for a hero, any chance of creating one for every hero? Would make for interesting reading in the game guide. Maybe outsource it to an external writer?

Maybe some Nemesis will have interesting specific Monster Infrequent items ?

Very nice! :smiley:
Will the Nemesis chest also have a higher chance to have rare (green) items?

That didn’t take long. :slight_smile:

IIRC, I think release for B25 is slated for the end of this month or beginning of May. Really depends on how testing is going.

Having said that, the devs are careful not to release a date, but a time frame.

You had me at vast riches.

Will there be any items unique to these encounters? Whether they be MI’s (or NI’s, if you will) that drop from the bosses themselves, or unique only to the chest itself, I think that could be interesting.

Perhaps tokens to hand in, or rewards from the opposing factions leaders? Quest items? Secret missives from these bosses bosses?

I do so hope the reward shall match the challenge they present.

Eagerly awaiting this update and the possibilities it holds.

Yea the background stories definitely add a bit more to whom you are dealing with.

Awesome update as usual.

Nice report! I’m looking forward to next update.