Grim Misadventure #92: Grim Dawn Your Way

I want to change the Legendaries color from Purple to Orange.

The DRM-Free thread is only closed to forum users, since it was just being flooded with useless argument and redundant questions, making it hard for people to see updates. I’ve already responded to you personally via email and I’ve inserted updates into the original post of the DRM-Free thread on the status of things.

If you know that key distribution is in place and builds have been sent to GoG for testing, then you have the latest information. We ourselves don’t know anything more than that. Until GoG is satisfied with the build, finds no more issues and gives a release date, we won’t know anything more.

You don’t need to ask elsewhere, you could just stop asking and wait until there is some new information, at which point we will post an update.

So once it is approved, they set the release date themselves? Does Crate as the developer get to have any input with that? I know cases with backers gotten earlier access to their game, like a day or two before the GOG release was made available for general purchase. I know that keys have been able to be redeemed before the official release with a couple Kickstarter projects I have backed that released there at the very least. Maybe the Divinity series or Dreamfall, not quite sure off the top of my head. As this is all relevant information that has not been clarified elsewhere, I may as well ask since this thread appears to be read by devs.

Crate, have thought support for mods in steam workshop?

Some questions about the modding tools:

Damage types
Will it be possible to edit how the damage types work? For instance, make that only 4 or 5 damage types exist in the game, with the related resistances, and with the damages over time computed over the related damage types, for instance all the fire damages always do an extra x% burn damage over y seconds.

Masteries
Will it be possible to edit how the masteries work? For instance, make that the first mastery can unlock the skills up to level 50, while the second mastery can only unlock up to level 40. And will it be possible to select a third mastery?

Skills
Will it be possible to restrict skills to specific items? For instance, bash to maces, bleeding to swords, charge to shields etc.
Will it be possible to setup skills out of the monsters skills or item skills? For instance, wave healing, lightning strike, chaos wave etc.

Devotions
Will it be possible to assign the special attacks of the devotions to the default attack? Will it be possible to make that the completion of a specific devotion, or a specific item, or a specific reward from a quest, is required in order to unlock a specific devotion?

Death
Will it be possible to edit how the death work? For instance, make that the character who dies has all his/her experience back to zero from his/her current level, or that all his/her inventory drop where he/she died, or that a specific quest is then required in order to get back the experience and the items?

Items drop
Will it be possible to completely remove the components and the unique items from the drop system? To make that only random weapons/armors/jewels can be picked up. Will it be possible to define specific attributes to items? For instance, that only weapons have a chance to have +% physical damage, and that no book(focus) can ever do that.

Dual wield
Will it be possible to enable dual wield by default for any character for any set of items? If so, will it be possible to setup a default penalty for dual wield, and specific passive skills that reduce that penalty?

Where are the Keys for backer for the now released GOG version?

I’m most curious as to how much you can modify the UI and crease tools inside the game rather than outside.

We’ll most likely just have to wait and see.

I read awhile back that there was a change to the pathing system to do away with static objects having to be stitched to the terrain to be able to walk on. Does this result into being able to configure if an object is pathable as long as its connected or jammed into the terrain? Any info relating to this compared to the implementation in Titan Quest would be great.

this is awsome

Obviosuly I haven’t seen the current Editor Tools but based on past experience from the TQ Editors I can answer some of the questions

Damage types
I dont know for sure, because its a very basic mechanic but it should be possible. The Editor is very powerful.

Masteries
Yes to all. Triple Mastery not 100% sure though. I remember there being talks about it back in TQ but it might be hard coded.

Skills
Yes

Devotions
New mechanic, so no way of knowing that but I would be surprised if the answer to any of your questions is “no”.

Death
Dunno for sure but at least the xp-drop to 0 is possible.

Items drop
Pretty sure the answer is yes to all, although it might be quite a bit of work.

Dual wield
Unless it is coded in a very weird way it should be possible to do all of that. At the very least a workaround should be possible here.

Basically changing abilities, masteries, items, loottables etc is all possible unless it was removed from the editor for some reason. Obviously you can create completely new stuff too but will be bound to the given core mechanics. Unless you know LUA in which case you have even more options.

You can even create you status effects, damage types and adjust them to your liking within the limitations of the core mechanics. Obviously it gets more complicated and tedious the deeper you dive into the mechanics.I bet you can do Triple-Wield if you REALLY want to.

I think we must be very careful about what is possible or not because there are a lot of “hidden” limitations.I mean for now we are even limited in how many new masteries we can add, how many skills a mastery can have, …
Also you can modify existing window by changing, size, positions, background of buttons, but we can not do completely new windows with new buttons functionality (I am not even sure if it is possible in lua with the existing game lua functions available).
Also do you think it would be possible to make new trigger conditions like :

• trigger a skill on dealing specific damage type (for exampel fire damage triggers fireball, ice damage triggers slow effect…).
    I hope we will have more answers in today Misadventure and a relase date for the modding tools woudl be great.

i need the database tool now! :smiley:

As a modder, third party mod repos are always VERY difficult to manage. The only times it’s ever really been easy for me has been with Curse and Steam Workshop. I’ve had mods on both platforms with 100,000+ and 70,000+ users, respectively, and Curse was probably the better of the two for managing multiple mods. I made quite a few tools for Wildstar (Depth of Field/FoV slider, Raid Calendar, Roster Manager, and a couple of other utilities) and for Torchlight 2 (Enhanced ReTex, Weapon Durability [prototype], Pocket Charms [prototype]), and Curse was much easier for me to manage than Steam Workshop.

For users SW is easier, for sure, but is part of the reason why the feedback was not as good on SW. In Curse, people have to go to an external source, have an account, and go through a bit of effort to file a bug report or request, while on SW, people just open the workshop and write a comment with little to no effort. That’s led to the same three questions being asked, in rotation, about once a month. No one ever looks past the first page of comments, so they ask QuestionB after it was just pushed down to page two by the last round of QuestionA.

Also, Steam Workshop has a hard limit on file size, so larger mods like retextures, or any mods that are art/graphics heavy have to be split in multiple parts, which is confusing and annoying for users.

I also used the Torchlight Mods website to distribute the Enhanced Retex mod, and that is pretty much a nightmare to keep consistent with Steam Workshop releases, requiring building/packaging twice, different instructions for installation, different channels for bug reporting, blah blah blah.

Just a PoV from someone who has distributed through different channels. I’d prefer not supporting Steam Workshop, and trying to get them on Curse (which can manage the install process automatically) as the official distribution channel. Then, other website could optionally offer mod downloads as well, but would probably have a lot of similarity to Curse’s packaging requirements.

I really hope there aren’t a lot of hardcoded limits that prevent modders from fully utilizing the engine and tools. Torchlight 2 had some stuff in it that made it absolutely impossible for me to mod because certain things were impossible to work around hardcoded limits. For example, I made a durability mod that “broke” items when the durability went down. However, because the contributions from armor pieces (stats, etc) were only recalculated when items were added/removed on the character paperdoll, it didn’t matter if a piece was broken until you tried to change a piece of your armor. Weapons, on the other hand, recalculated every attack. So, that mod never got finished because it was essentially useless, even though I figured out how to break and repair items using a property for magic items.

Also, one of the item rarity tables was hardcoded, the other was randomly generated, so that was an issue because you had to sacrifice an item to the random table to get around property/affix limitations of the hardcoded table.

Just some thoughts.

Hey will mod tool allow to code AI for pets?

This week is patch mods. Right?

Yes, the mod tools are expected this week. See Welcome to Grim Dawn’s Modding Tools.

so few days for mods…i can’t wait for my infinite stashes!

ok, perfect. thanxs

This already exists: