Grimtools update: theorycrafting thread

I am not sure that it’s superior. I think Necro/Occulist will be a excellent pet build.

Occultist also has vitality resist, among others.

Superfluff, I replicated your build with minor modifications and posted it in your thread (Doom-Bolt Conjurer). Tell me what you think (there).

Inquisitor/Occultist

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkjoDZJ

There was a distinct lack of Chaos, my favourite damage type, within the expansion. But there were a few boons.

The basis of this build is a Blood Orb of C’thon and Word of Pain. All the three damage types from Word of Pain will get converted into Chaos, which conveniently also reduces Chaos resistance. Eldritch Fire devotion proc will be bound to it reducing chaos resistance further while dealing additional damage, which again will all be Chaos. From here you have used relatively few points and can do all sorts of things with it as there are so many different elemental skills.

The rest of this build is actually a bit of a mess, I changed my mind half way through building the devotions as I realised you can now get Hungering Void and Abominable Might quite easily without sacrifices. And since they are both going to increase in level their duration and overall uptime is likely to go up as well. I have always wanted to run these together but doing so means I would probably want to be dealing more weapon damage to take advantage of all the flat chaos available, and the original skill I picked didn’t really support that. I would definitely make changes to this but not entirely sure what they would be just yet.

Good idea to combine this item with Inquisitor’s elemental damage and chaos rr. Although maybe use Arcanist for more Elemental/Chaos spells?

You definitely could do, Trozans Sky shard would be pretty brutal for instance. I don’t know exactly how all the Inquisitor skills work, but I suspect there is enough elemental there to do stuff. Occultist has the exclusive skill I wanted, while the items are also generally a better fit which is why I went in that direction. But I’m sure you can go Inquisitor/Arcanist this way as well.

edit : Demolitionist with Blackwatercocktail and Hellfire mines would be very viable as well.

Don’t have any idea how well it will play but this is what I am toying with for a summoning Cabalist.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0Ew9Zm

Any input would be appreciated if play testers are allowed to do so.

Hey guys,

I have levelled a firestrike based Demolitionist to 80 using duel wielding pistols (Deviltongue and Exterminus) in preparation for accessing the Inquisitor class in the new expansion pack. Just perusing the grimtools build calculator it seems that the new active and passive skills which synergise with the Demolitionist are quite minimal unfortunately.

As my post count is less than 3, I can’t post the grimtools link, but it would basically be:

DEMOLITIONIST

• maxing the entire Firestrike line
  • maxing Flametouched with 1 point into Temper
  • 10 points into Vindictive Flame and 1 point into Ulzin’s Flame
  • 10 points into Thermite mine for RR and 5 into Hellfire Mine
  • 10 points into Flashbang line and 5 into Searing Light
  • 8 points into Blast Shield

INQUISITOR

• maxing Aura of Censure
  • maxing Ranged Expertise
  • maxing Bursting Round
  • maxing Deadly Aim

Do you guys think it would be worth pursuing such a build or would it be a ‘waste’ of time and energy invested into such a character? Pure demolitionist in playthrough felt like it was a bit squishy but the damage output with the relevant devotions was quite remarkable. Or would it be better to pick something like soldier class to increase survivability and transform the character into something different altogether like a 2H forcewave commando ?

Dual wield pistols (Maybe tweak it for 2 handers, we’ll see) Lighting/Cold based

If this somehow doesn’t work out gonna build some sort of Death Knight or Reaper build… def wanna go melee necro at one point.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwDjqNj

Ultos, Shepherd of the Storms is the proper devotion for Primal Strike ranged build based on Shaman, guess Spear of Heavens will become obsolete after expansion. Frankly speaking, i believe Vindicator or Druid will be a better option than Mage Hunter for ranged Lightning or Lightning/Cold.

A blank for dualwielded elemental gunslinger

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnyXGZr

This is my idea of 2h ranged Purifier, pls comment on devotion setup.

Interesting build Safarel, I have a few questions as a new player.

1. How come you feel that Blast Shield is not worth investing into (even 1 point of wonder?)?

2. Is the +5% buff offered by Static Strike not worth investing into to trade those points into the Inquisitor healing buff?

3. How come you put points into Chilling Rounds and Storm Spread? I would have thought the main sources of damage would come from Fire/Burn given the option to go with Demolitionist?

4. Is Thermite Mine not worth investing into for even though it’s the only RR available?

Highlight :slight_smile:
/10 chars

Ever since I saw this:

I’ve been planning my Familiar build :cool::cool::cool:: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVlXG7VO

LOTS of flat damage (Storm Spirit, Arcane Empowerment, Steel Resolve, Aura of Conviction and Blood of Dreeg) added onto my two birds multi-projectile attacks. I’m envisioning my birds hitting like a couple of trucks, proccing Elemental Seekers left and right while I pick of the stragglers. Arcane Bomb, Elemental Storm and CoF should be enough RR.

If someone can propose a better devotion setup, I’m all ears.

Sarafel if you can get your hands on a Will of Fate (epic level 35 rifle) you will enjoy your elemental Purifier.

It has 100% chance to pierce through enemies and the Inquisitor’s ranged WPS stack with Firestrike. The rifle itself is crap in terms of stats but the final result is super satisfying.

Flat damage is added to weapon attacks, but I’m pretty sure the familiar’s damage is all from spells. You’d be better off increasing pet versions of: speed, all damage, lightning damage, OA, and resist/DA debuff, imho.

Edit: I don’t know if the raven’s attacks have a hidden weapon damage percent written in to them, but I’m curious. I wonder if someone better at evaluating game code than I has peeked under the skirt.

Sure I could (and will) try it, but now I’m humbly waiting for new (mythical and/or legendary) pistols with the support of the Inquisitor’s skills (and, possibly, with some interesting damage conversions)

:cry::cry::cry:

I though all pets had a basic weapon attack, which is why there is so many summoner builds stacking flat damage on pets. Took for granted that the raven would work the same, but I might well be wrong. If that’s the case, that’s a major bummer - and IMO should be made more clear in the skill description, because it’s not obvious to me at all. Would also explain why the raven does so shitty damage, I suppose.

Back to the writing board I guess… :frowning:

EDIT: Could change Elemental Seeker to Hungering Void, though I’m not sure how it applies on pets. Do pets receive buff only from the “Bonus to pets” part, or the other bonuses as well? Seeing as Elemental Seeker is pretty shitty, Hungering Void would likely be superior anyhow.

No knowledge of game code here, but lots of trial and error testing. From my article Understanding Pet Damage:

Also, any pet attack that is either a magic spell, AoE, and/or anything that isn’t their default basic attack (including any modifier-granted attacks) generally won’t have % weapon damage, and thus won’t benefit from flat damage bonuses. For the xpac, this means pets such as skeletal mages or any of the blight fiend’s attacks (other than his default “Blighted Claws” melee attack) won’t benefit from flat damage.