How to set quickslots for gamepad?

I use an Xbox 360 controller along with the keyboard and mouse.
I can’t figure out how to set quickslots (the boxes along the bottom) for the controller.
For the mouse, fine, I can right click a slot, and that works OK.
In the options setup, I can tick enable gamepad, and the gamepad buttons show up as
secondary things in the key bindings bit.

I’d assumed that that meant I could either use the appropriate key, or the gamepad button listed alongside it as an alternative.
However. when I press a gamepad button, the quickslot display changes to show controller buttons
instead of the usual key numbers - and the boxes are now empty, so it looks as though there’s a
separate set of quickslot mappings for the controller buttons…

Unfortunately, I can’t figure out any way to assign things to them - anyone know how to do this?

1 Like
  1. Go to the keybindings and assign gamepad buttons as you like / need them as Secondary controls for the Quickbar Slots
  2. You can also reconfigure shoulder and thumb buttons
  3. Then go to the Skills menu and press Y
  4. Assign skills to your two Quickbars - I use Config 1 for combat skills and Config 2 for my auras. The highlighted slot 01 is for your continuous attack.
2 Likes

ugh
The other empty O O O needs option for assigning something to them as well. An assignment option for opening portals would be nice. I don’t want anything to do with my keyboard or my mouse when I’m playing. I just want 1 controller, not a keyboard, a mouse and my controller. I looked through the forums but I don’t see anything about the other three empty buttons in Config 1 and 2. Has this been resolved?

Merged threads. @exiledgamer987 - see above for the answer to your question.

I believe your riftgate is assigned to one of the D-pad buttons by default. But since I made a pet build, I needed all slots for my skills. Therefore I open my personal riftgate only via the map. This has also the advantage that I do not accidentally move my riftgate during combat.

1 Like

As a controller player I support this idea very much. If I bind ‘open portal’ or ‘open map’ to a button, I can’t use this button for attack/skills. Being able to bind those functions like skills to my ‘alternate layout’ would effectively free up one more button for gameplay. Since I run out of (conveniently reachable) controller buttons in late game, this would be much appreciated.

1 Like

I took this screenshot and made the image to show the missing buttons. Like the triggers and the bumpers. My right trigger button can be assigned but the right bumper, left bumper and the left trigger doesn’t show up in the button Config wheel shown here as we all know. I did however find that my Up on the direction pad opens a rift gate. I just got my controller a few days ago and I noticed this while trying to set it up.

Yeah, right bumper, left bumper and left trigger cannot be assigned ;(

That’s not what I meant. I’m able to to assign every controller button (standard xbox controller). Actually, I have assigned triggers and bumpers to quickslot buttons in the keybinding options.

My only issue is that I can’t assign a button to a quickslot when this button is assigned to e.g. ‘open map’. I’d prefer to have those things in my alternative layout.

I’m modifiying the keybindings for example, by default gamepadup opens a portal and setting to this keybinding health potion it stills openening a portal. And the same for all keybindings. It’s something related to the xbox one controller or to the game?

Just a guess, but have you checked Enable Non-Steam Gamepad in the Keybinding screen? It needs to be activated if you want to play with an xbox controller.

Hmmm… I don’t have it enabled yet I use Dualshock 4
Maybe try changing it in Big Picture if you’re using Steam.

Not true , I’ve been using controller for past year , can be left unchecked with no issues

Well, my controller requires it.

@Xavier_Vicient - have you found a solution? If not, which keys / buttons are assigned to Map Window and Personal Riftgate?

Or can you make the changes for one session, but when you start a new session, the keybindings are back to default?

Hi,

I have recorded a video showing the issue:
https://streamable.com/cki0ly

Here you can see the keybinding I have for the gamepad and how It’s not working. For example, I have setted “Drink Energy Potion” to “gamepad up” but this key stills opening a portal.

Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

I see you’re using Steam so my guess it overwrites your in-game config.
I use Steam and Big Picture and I have completely different setting in Steam than in-game.
In Steam default config Up is actually for Opening Riftgate (for DS4 but for XBone it’s the same I guess).

You can turn it off in the following screen I suppose (but haven’t checked it):

But I actually recommend using Big Picture (you only need to use it once to configurate everything and after that you can use Grim Internals) because it has dozens of useful options for example autocasting skills like Blood of Dreeg, multiple skills with one button etc.

You’re right, this was the issue. If I turn off this config the game controller keybindings works well but I will try the autocasting using Activator. Thank you all!

Hi, I’ve been trying to get a controller working with GD. The model I have is an 8bitDo Pro-2, although I suspect I’d have the same problems with other ones. The game seems to support it and I can access the page where I set up key mappings. Some things work like moving around, adjusting camera angles and firing default weapons. But I can’t figure out how to map any of the Quickbar slot keys. The controller set-up lists things called Action Bar 1, Action Bar 2 etc but I’m not sure if they are the same as the Quickbar keys. They are supposedly assigned to some of the keys but nothing happens when I press them.

In the in-game keybinding screen , it does list my controller keys as alternatives to the keyboard keys but they don’t work. Has anyone had any experience of setting up controllers who could help?

Check out my above response.

Or you can use the Steam Configurator.

Thanks. I’ve got somewhere with that. I get some options when I press Y but it’s quite limited. I don’t see X for example even though X is assigned in the keybindings to Action Bar 2. Is there a way to add keys to this or is it just down to what the controller supports?

Scrub that. It was because in my earlier experimentation to get things working I reassigned X to Factions window. I’ve put it back to Action Bar 2 and now it shows again. It looks as if I should be able to get something working with this. Thanks for your help.