Interaction between Blazeheart conversion and Brimstone

Does anyone know if the conversion of Blazeheart (namely, chaos converted to fire for Fire Strike) will apply to Brimstone damage?

I’m actually asking that because I know that Brimstone is supposed to be a fragmentation skill modifier, not modified by the skill modifiers of Fire Strike (based on this guide), but Zantai also recently said that:

I’m wondering if Brimstone damage is added to Fire Strike damage, in melee, before the skill damage conversion step, or if it’s still an independently applied source of damage. It’s a little bit unclear.

There wouldn’t be any point in this modifier if it didn’t convert. On ranged we have Chaos to Aether on Dreadscorcher for example, so it is converted too. Explosive Strike, on the other hand, isn’t converted.

A quick way to test that yourself would be to check FS + Brimstone damage breakdown with and without Blazeheart.

1 Like

The damage added with Brimstone would be converted to Fire when using Blazeheart.

It also will convert any flat Chaos Damage (from Devotions, equipment, Augments, etc) as well as converting damage from WPS that go off with the Fire Strike hit, for example, the WPS from Seal of the Void…

1 Like

Fragmentation isn’t exactly the same as other secondary modifiers… Initially I didn’t even include it in my guide and the guide explicitly said that fragmentation is NOT A SECONDARY MODIFIER. But after Zantai said otherwise I went and added a new section on Fragmentation skills. Which actually does tell that conversions should be properly applied to it, even in ranged and even to fragments. I don’t remember if I tested it but I assume Zantai did because otherwise several skill modifiers go out of the window.

2 Likes

Pretty much what Dragon said. If fragmentation effects weren’t effected by skill modifier conversion, that would weaken things like PRM/DEE and more importantly prevent them from being converted to pure Vitality/Acid or pure Elemental/Aether due to Vile Eruption and Proliferation.

1 Like

Thank you all for all your answers! I’m gonna do some tests tonight.

Damn, I’m sorry, it seems like I misread your guide. Btw, thank your for this guide and the other ones! :slight_smile:

So, does it mean that Markovian’s Advantage and Zolhan’s Technique physical damage would be converted to, respectively, fire and burn damage then, if I’m using Blazeheart?

1 Like

No, since Blazeheart converts Vitality to Fire and Chaos to Fire. You would need Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage to do that.

EDIT: Sorry, coffee didn’t kick in. Yes, the Fire Strike modifier will convert any Physical/Internal Trauma passed through it. I blanked on the modifers being a part of the weapon! /facepalm

https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/11200

so even WPS physical/IT damage get converted to fire/burn

Sorry, I forgot to precise that I’d be using Fire Strike. Blazeheart adds a 100% physical to fire conversion to Fire Strike, but I always wondered if this conversion would be also applied to the WPS.

Edit: thank you Ulvar1!

1 Like

At least I think so, I mean I use blazeheart to convert the chaos damage on seal of void proc to fire, hopefully, that is what I am counting on :slight_smile:

No idea where the myth about WPS being converted by skill modifiers to AA replacers comes from…

No wondering my builds sucks, you actually need global convert for the wps even if auto attack skill has conversion?

Like if I use cadance-discord, i still need global physical to elemental to convert the wps physical damage to elemental?

(deletes several builds)

If you’re converting LMB skill and using the WPS then weapon dmg part of the WPS gets converted by LMB skill modifiers, but not the built-in flat damage of WPS.

In case of Cadence it wouldn’t had worked as you thought anyway because all Cadence skill modifiers are only applied to 3rd attack, which does not proc WPS.

1 Like

But what about Dreegs Reproach and say Smite.

Smite’s weapon damage part gets converted according to Dreegs Reproach but Smite flat physical and fire damages need global conversion?

At least GD is easier than path of exile, that game is just a mess :slight_smile:

Congrats, you figured out the way I tested it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Smart Dragon delivers again!

Bad news guys.

item

3 Likes

So Brimstone only converts for the main target damage, but the projectile fragments don’t convert? Interesting, makes sense in hindsight.

1 Like

Um, I personally thought for ranged Brimstone deals damage only to adjacent targets, and not to original one. You definitely learn new things everyday, huh. So at least melee FS retains its full damage, correct? And is this ranged behavior works as intended I wonder?

All Physical/Fire Damage from WPS (Smite/Burning Void) is converted by Dreeg’s Reproach.

My Rotting Putrifier Acid/Vitality Sentinel deals 0 Physical/Fire Damage as shown here:

A long time ago I made a thread to demonstrate how Item Skill Modifiers convert WPS damage when Nex & Ortus came out to show how it works with Seals of the Void for my Elemental Pyromancer build, but my testing thread got nuked with the forum transition…

Brimstone is another skill attached to Fire Strike, so you need global conversion for this. This has been known for some time and why I suggested adding Item Modifiers for Secondary Skills, but Z said no that would cause too much tooltip bloat.

Yes, melee Fire Strike targets get the converted damage, but the shards are not part of Fire Strike, so global conversion only applies.

2 Likes