Is there a mod to remove fog in zones?

I tried playing Grim Dawn during the almost 12 hours between the last patch and when Grim Internals was patched. This meant that I couldn’t use these fog removal options.

It looked TERRIBLE! I was so disgusted by it that I had to stop playing.

This game looks so wonderful and clear without the fog that there should totally be a toggle in the UI somewhere to turn it off.

Let me know if anyone wants any more screen shots of anything and I will be glad to post two pics of fog and no fog so you can see the difference.

Heh yeah. I meant it when I said I could never go back.
You might as well post the screenshots. The more attention it receives, the more chance people who would enjoy this change will be able to find it.
I have enough comparison shots to make a gallery, I’m just too lazy. :sweat_smile: Maybe this weekend.

1 Like

Not really a before and after but here are a few screenshots with it running.

Sorry, I don’t know the command to hide the UI.

1 Like

[Tool] Grim Internals

Keep in mind that only toggles off GrimInternals related UI tho. Edit: my bad, it appears that it DOES toggle off the whole UI. Any name-plates tho (character/monster etc) need to be off separately in the Configurator screen it seems.

To toggle off GD UI completely (without GrimInternals) requires you to be playing a Custom game, which provides access to the console and commands like:

Console Commands Reference

Speaking of GrimCam and removing the fog layer tho @GlockenGerda do you think it would be possible to put in the fog removal that GrimCam does into GI itself? The reason why I ask is that while I like what GrimCam does (as far as it comes to the camera stuff) I don’t like how it “feels” moving the camera around (very abrupt and jerky). It lacks that smoothness of motion that Grim Dawn’s camera action has. Crate actually did a fantastic job on perfecting camera motion in the game.

If you had the fog removal in the base GI tool tho (or a way to enable it without having to have GrimCam active all the time) I would have my first real reason to use GI on the regular.

More edits: Hmm… now that I look at it closer tho…

…GrimCam’s ini does have sensitivity options. I’ll have to play with it to see if I can replicate the default GD camera feel.

Ah nevermind, you can make it feel a bit better but you can’t get that same fluidity of motion. The suggestion still stands for me then, Glocken, if you could possibly add in the fog removal :wink:

1 Like

Great pics. I threw together some more quick 'n dirty before/after comparisons, in Acts 1 & 2. Should give a good idea of whether people would find it worthwhile. I’ll try to do some for Acts 3 & 4 this weekend.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

1 Like

Sure, no big deal!

1 Like

Aw fer real? Awesome! Wasn’t sure if that would work :smile:

That would be perfect then. Thank you.

1 Like

:wink:

5ef22ee7c196c799434234

5 Likes

I’m amped for it now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is AMAZING! Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

New GI version is up with the disable/enable fog checkbox.

4 Likes

I have to thank you again GG! I love it so hard that you made the fog removal a feature in your mod. It makes my heart swell every time I think about it. You’re good people, GG! Sending you ALL of my virtual hugs!

1 Like

That wasn’t a big deal, but I’m glad I could help! :mask:

I take it this is only possible if you using GrimCam ?? Or can it be used without that mod as well ?? Asking since can’t seem to find a settings.txt but might be looking at the wrong place ??

Yeah, that is only when using the Grim Cam mod.

Alright, thought so. To bad since it does look much better without the fog. Ahh well, maybe next character ! :crazy_face:

Thanks for confirming it though ! :beers:

It isn’t a “mod” like DoM, RoT, and the like. No need to wait to start a new character. You just download it and drop it into the GD install folder and away you go.

If you use Grim Internals (Which is an amazing Quality of Life improvement that you should be using) GG included the fog removal in that mod. I honestly will never go back to regular fog. You don’t need to use the Grim Cam mod to have the fog removed. Honestly, Grim Cam has not been updated in a really long time so you should probably not be using it. Grim internals is updated after every patch so it doen’t cause any problems.