Is there a mod to remove fog in zones?

I was searching for a mod to remove the fog layer in the graphics of zones? Not the fog of war on the map but the actual fog. I found GrimCam which has the option of doing this but it messes with how the camera zoom and rotate works and I can’t stand that part of the mod.

GrimCam is out of date and won’t work by itself but GrimInternals will use it if you have it installed.

The game looks wonderful with the fog off but I can’t seem to find anything to do this for me.

I tried to include some screenshots comparing this so you can see the difference between having fog and not having fog. (At least how it appears on my computer.)

Attachment: screenshot02.jpg
Attachment: screenshot01.jpg
Attachment: screenshot05.jpg
Attachment: screenshot06.jpg

Somewhere on the options menu there’s an option to disable weather effects.

Turning off everything doesn’t help at all.

OK, if there isn’t a mod just for this or an easy fix to get rid of the fog then how hard is it for someone to trim down GrimCam to only have the fog removed option by itself rather than all of extra camera stuff?

I searched but haven’t found any Good Samaritan modder who provided a mod that only removes the fog.

Currently you have to:

• Install GrimCam
  • Install GrimInternals to make GrimCam work
  • Disable a bunch of stuff in GrimInternals ini and configurator that you don’t want.
  • Tweak GrimCam to not screw with the camera so much that it ruins performance.
  • Disable Fog in GrimCam, and enjoy the beautifully crisp and clear environments.

It really is striking how much better the game looks like this, so IMO it’s worth every step above to remove the fog. It additionally gives the appearance of better contrast and saturation.

If you want GrimCam to not mess with things too much and basically behave like vanilla, you can try settings something like this:

[Settings]
MinPitch = 45
MaxPitch = 89
FOV = 60
FarClip = 200
HSensitivity = 0.2
VSensitivity = 0.2
MinDistance = 18
MaxDistance = 40
DepthFogClamp = 0
Key = 0x04
EnableFog = 0

AMAZING! Thank you so much for figuring this out for me. I changed the max distance to 60 and the sensitivity to 2 for both but other than that this works perfectly. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Having played with it for a bit now since you posted this I can understand why they added this “fog” effect: the game looks like an exact clone of Titan Quest without it. That doesn’t bother me at all and make the game so much better looking in my opinion.

Thank you again for this!

Glad to hear it’s working for you. I’ve spent several days with it now and I know I could never go back. The camera tweaks and especially the fog removal really made me fall in love with the environments again. I have been travelling around, visiting scenic spots to see how clear and wonderful the view looks.

The good news is that the “weather” fog is still present in appropriate areas (such as the lakeside in the Foggy Bank), if you have weather effects turned on in the options menu. This type of fog is used very sparingly and tastefully.

I agree. I could never go back to what it was. I think everyone should at least try this out for themselves. It makes the game even more impressive than it already is. Thank you again!!

Crate could add this as a toggable option in the settings.

1 Like

In case anyone’s curious about how this looks:

Before

After

And here’s proof that the weather-related fog is still present to provide atmosphere in the appropriate places:

1 Like

I’m drooling by watching at these screens…

I tried playing Grim Dawn during the almost 12 hours between the last patch and when Grim Internals was patched. This meant that I couldn’t use these fog removal options.

It looked TERRIBLE! I was so disgusted by it that I had to stop playing.

This game looks so wonderful and clear without the fog that there should totally be a toggle in the UI somewhere to turn it off.

Let me know if anyone wants any more screen shots of anything and I will be glad to post two pics of fog and no fog so you can see the difference.

Heh yeah. I meant it when I said I could never go back.
You might as well post the screenshots. The more attention it receives, the more chance people who would enjoy this change will be able to find it.
I have enough comparison shots to make a gallery, I’m just too lazy. :sweat_smile: Maybe this weekend.

1 Like

Not really a before and after but here are a few screenshots with it running.

Sorry, I don’t know the command to hide the UI.

1 Like

[Tool] Grim Internals

Keep in mind that only toggles off GrimInternals related UI tho. Edit: my bad, it appears that it DOES toggle off the whole UI. Any name-plates tho (character/monster etc) need to be off separately in the Configurator screen it seems.

To toggle off GD UI completely (without GrimInternals) requires you to be playing a Custom game, which provides access to the console and commands like:

Console Commands Reference

Speaking of GrimCam and removing the fog layer tho @GlockenGerda do you think it would be possible to put in the fog removal that GrimCam does into GI itself? The reason why I ask is that while I like what GrimCam does (as far as it comes to the camera stuff) I don’t like how it “feels” moving the camera around (very abrupt and jerky). It lacks that smoothness of motion that Grim Dawn’s camera action has. Crate actually did a fantastic job on perfecting camera motion in the game.

If you had the fog removal in the base GI tool tho (or a way to enable it without having to have GrimCam active all the time) I would have my first real reason to use GI on the regular.

More edits: Hmm… now that I look at it closer tho…

…GrimCam’s ini does have sensitivity options. I’ll have to play with it to see if I can replicate the default GD camera feel.

Ah nevermind, you can make it feel a bit better but you can’t get that same fluidity of motion. The suggestion still stands for me then, Glocken, if you could possibly add in the fog removal :wink:

1 Like

Great pics. I threw together some more quick 'n dirty before/after comparisons, in Acts 1 & 2. Should give a good idea of whether people would find it worthwhile. I’ll try to do some for Acts 3 & 4 this weekend.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

1 Like

Sure, no big deal!