Maufacturers pass stockyards and go too far for supplies

My blacksmith’s, foundrymen, and glassmakers are bypassing the stockyard(yes it has stock), to walk way out of the way to get coal. Sometimes on the way there they die from being too cold, or they switch to “seeking food”, get food, then abandon there initial task and go all the way back to their work, just to do it all over again. My glassmaker is also going to the sandpit instead of the stockyard when there is lots of sand in the stockyard. Of course this is delaying the production of lots of necessary items, thus making me fail at the game.

5 Likes

I agree. My glassmakers are also going out to the middle of nowhere to the sand mine to carry back a few sand. Meanwhile my Wainrights are in the barn awaiting a task.

3 Likes

Also agree. I have three glassmakers, full of workers, and they’re all “Stocking”. When I click on them, they’re all out in the woods, going directly to the sand pit, when their work area is right beside a stockyard with sand in stock.

Another commenter mentioned buying glass from the Trading Post as an alternative to production. While this is a quick fix, I’ve experienced several issues here, too.

1. Only Sporadically Available at Trading Post - For me, I can purchase glass every other season, sometimes every two. I’ve only ever seen it from one vendor, and never more than 500 pieces.

2. It’s Expensive! - My largest settlement has about 850 settlers. It’s a profitable settlement, but buying glass is a huge drain on the budget, even when it’s sold below average price (which is rare). As other posters have chronicled, this is not the only area where supply chains seems to be a bit strained. I also have trouble keeping soap, shoes, and jackets in stock, usually because of high demand for their respective ingredients (tallow and leather), even with six barns, slaughtering anywhere from 11 - 15 cows per year.

3. Still Not Enough - Even in seasons where I’m able to purchase glass, it’s still not enough to give my settlement a decent stock of food. Love the new feature they added where you can click on an item in the menu for more details. Over half of my fruit spoils every year (3 arborists with full work zones). On average, I make about 3 pieces of glass per in-game year. I’ve also noticed that preservists prefer to pick fruit directly from trees.

I’m thinking a better solution, for the moment, would be to buy all of my sand from the Trading Post. My manufacturing district is relatively close to the city center (Trading Post and Town Hall). Even if workers are traveling to the source for the ingredient, at least they’re not traveling as far. It’s also adjacent to all of my Charcoal Kilns. Production for my kilns seems to be pretty low too, but it might boost production a little. I haven’t tried this yet, but I’m going to. Maybe it’ll help until there’s a fix. :confused:

Have really loved the game so far. Just needs a few tweaks!

2 Likes

If you’re preserving Root Vegies at higher populations and farming capacities, they can come in at several thousand units a year, that can exhaust an entire map’s sand supply in just a few years.

I’m hoping the new glass production ratios, and the new preserving quantities in 0.8.0 address these issues.

1 Like

The glass is a HUGE problem! The glass needs to be able to be recycled. I have a sand mine with full workers and they are getting 60 sand per year. Glass takes 2 sand so at most they will make 30 jars…It is POINTLESS! So I took to buying sand from the traders…it works, sort of. They only have sand for sale occasionally. I have been buying ALL of the sand anytime it is available. I always run out for several years before it comes around for sale again. I am having the same problem with iron. It is POINTLESS to mine it. Iron mine with full workers is getting around 50 iron a year. NO WHERE near enough. So I have been buying raw iron also. It is a HUGE strain on the budget.
I love the game, but it needs some work in the resource gathering area.

1 Like

I mentioned that few days ago https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/theyre-still-doing-it/123488/6

I’ve been doing the same, trying to buy sand and coal from the trading post, usually I can only buy one of those because the traders won’t have both, then the glassmakers at least only walk to the other side of the village for only one of them, glass recycling would be perferct. Same here with the iron. I will keep playing though because it is a great a game, just hoping these topics get looked at and eventually fixed.

It’s quite funny, I could only find coal way way out of the village(I swear it was closer when I chose my initial site but… ) so I’m checking things out and I’m like, why are all my workers walking way out of town… lol, I built 4 temporary shelters for on the way out there because they keep travelling at the beginning of winter and then dying lol, but they walk right past them and still die. Oh well, I really do love the game, so in time hopefully these things get fixed.

I love the game too. It just needs some fixes here and there. I have 2 charcoal factories going. They produce more than the mine and can be nearish to town. So I do not buy charcoal. But my map has alot trees and the trees reproduce very quickly. So I am buying sand, iron, and rock.

Do you have a save with the glassmakers running out to the sand pits instead of storage?

Do you want a save of foundry workers running out to gold and coal mines instead of collecting from stockyards next door?

If it happens reliably, sure!

I do! Just checked on my current save. Forgive me, I’m not sure how to share it with you. Do you need the seed ID?

It’s ok, we got what we needed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.