Men and Women Stereotypes in Games

Wouldn’t know since I don’t have any.

By any, what are you referring to specifically?

Women friends.

2 Likes

Every word which comes out of seth’s mouth is pure gold.

@powbam:

The sneakers Dale is rocking with that tux was a stroke of genius

2 Likes

Don’t blame her. I know most won’t know she’s female, but if I don’t know someone’s gender I try and stick with neutral gender by saying they rather than he/she.

No it doesn’t help break stereotypes, but I can always hope to whittle it down a little. :smile:

1 Like

I respect that…mate :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wonder if its selectiv/gender-biased

I think women just aren’t as vocal as men - and I’m not calling them weak. But society does encourage women to be more docile/submissive, and men to be more aggressive.

Also, I don’t think women are as into this theorycrafting stuff as guys are. Can’t remember the details of the psychology article I read this in.

That article linked at the beginning is the oddest thing. Of all gaming communities i’ve been a part of 85-90% are open males. Either i’ve an extraordinary sample on my hands, or 40% of communities members are professional actors. Of course, there could be smth up with the article…

1 Like

While I have no doubts that there are many female PC gamers, statistics show that there is an uneven distribution when it comes to genre.

Story-heavy RPGs (ex. Dragon Age), for example, have been shown to lean very heavily towards the female audience. I imagine shooters such as Battlefield or Call of Duty are more male leaning, probably in no small part due to the behavior those male players engage in when they discover a player is female.

3 Likes

Wanted to chime in with the discussion but I don’t think I wanna reply to something at the top of the thread and find out maybe the discussion is already different at the bottom. So enjoy some he man I guess.

1 Like

@x1x1x1x2 - I love that throwback

Not me. I’m old-school. If I haven’t received any cues hinting otherwise I’ll just barge right in and assume male.

I figure if I’m wrong and they care, they’ll let me know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use “he” because “they” makes my eye twitch when I need to refer to said individual in the singular

And for me because that’s the kind of english I was thought when I was a kid and when I learned that I should use neutral pronouns it became awkward.

Have you lot heard of Jordan Peterson?

1 Like

I heard he’s weak to thermal damage and drills.

I haven’t but google did.

He checked himself into rehab recently

^Worth a watch. Phenomenal.

@Knjoka: I’ve heard. I feel for him. :confused:

2 Likes

Today’s society of crybabies is no match for Peterson’s logic. I’ve never seen one yet that could do anything but blubber nonsense in retort.

2 Likes