[Mod] D2 Classes aka Noble Paladin

Hi,
recently discovered this and I have to say well done. I played every single mod there is for GD and this one is very clean, not a single bug i encountered, full of good ideas on D2 skills implementation. Thumbs up to you!
Now I see you re looking for some ideas and after spending some time with the classes I actually got plenty :slight_smile: See there is major difference in design of character progression between D2 and GD, making your work quite difficult.

• in D2 each new tier skill is vastly superior to the skill from previous tier (fireball is better than fire bolt, phoenix strike is better then blades of ice …). Together with the fact that you have only two active skill slots in D2 and only some 100 skill points, the game design assumes you will pick 3 - 4 top tier skills and thats your build. Later on they added synergies.

• In GD you have 11 active slots, 250 skill points, and skill modifiers. With each tier you unlock you open up a new skill, bot also a mod for a skill lower down the tree which makes that one more powerful, ultimately making all the skills across all the classes viable for the entire game. Also, as with D2 synergies, game rewards you if you invest in entire skill trees

To make D2 skills a lot more “grim dawned”, i would consider doing things like these:

Assassin -
Entire skill line Fist of Fire - Phoenix strike. Either make Fist of Fire active skill and everything else modified (Claws of Thunder adds Lighting dmg to Fist of Fire, Phoenix strike adds + all elemental damage to fists of fire. All those nice novas you have there could be cumulative), or make this entire tree as a passive Weapon pools skills (Assassin doesnt have any but I think should have). In this way you will reward players if they invest in entire skill tree. + all skills items will have MUCH biggers impact on character strength.

Tiger strike + Cobra strike - Make CS modifier for TS, that will make TS powerful life sucking ability useful for entire game.

Dragon talon skill tree - Make this like Nightblade shadow strike line - Dragon tail, single target kick. Dragon talon mod adding AoE, +fire damage. Dragon flight mod adding teleport and + % fire damage + increasing AoE

Venom - entire assassin is done around elemental damage, both weapons skills and traps. Make this one passive “Elemental Blades” adding + elemental dmg and +% elemental damage. It will empower entire class

Other skill trees in Assa are good :slight_smile:

Sorceress
This is all done well! You have made good decisions here like making fireball mod for firebolt. Same with Ice bolt tree, Frost Armor skill tree … nothing to add, lots of useful things to pick

Paladin
This is an extreme example D2 vs GD design differences. 80% of the skills are exclusive and each tier is vastly more powerful than the previous one. What can be done to make it more diverse?

• Remove salvation, Keep Resist fire and make Resist shock and Resist frost mods for RF. Thus by selecting all 3 skills you will get same effect as picking salvation. You will reward player for investing in entire tree. Or you can lso keep Salvation as mod for Resist fire, adding + Chaos and Aether resists to the mix. That would be actually useful since there is crapload of elemental resists everywhere anyway :slight_smile:

• Holy fire, frost, shock tree - same as above, keep only holy fire as an active skill and make holy shock and frost as mods, adding their damage types to holy fire.

• Might - Blessed Aim …. Fanaticism - Keep only might, blessed aim mod adding attack speed and +crit damage, fanaticism +all damage +total speed

Doing this will drastically decrease number of exclusives and make each one of them vastly more useful

Barbarian
Generally good, same as sorceress, lots of passives, lots of things to pick

Druid
Good, only thing i would change is - possibly add in there somewhere a skill to strengthen to spell casting abilities, like bear improves the melee.

Amazon
Havent played yet but just looking at it seems fine :slight_smile:

Hope i managed to explain what i mean by those design differences between D2 and GD which makes it impractical to clone the skill trees 1:1 and laos hope this will give you some further ideas on how to progress with you mod.

Edit: - As a golden rule, when you see that one active skill cancels out another active skill in GD, it is a good indication it should become a mod rather then a skill. Eg. in Paladin tree, Salvation cancels out Resist fire (it is so vastly superior in a sense that it has the exact same function + a lot more) indicates Salvation should be a mod rather then individual skill. Exactly the same with Phoenix strike and all the previous skills in the Fists of Fire tree. I think if you take a look at all those classes with the eyes configured like this, you´ll get a millions ideas.

Happy moding :wink:

Do you cooperate with Ram (Reign of Terror mod author)? I mean are the classes in his mod up to date and same as yours in your mod?

Thanks.
Currently i work on further skill implementing.
I already thinked about Assassin and Paladin skills and have similar ideas.
In my vision salavation must be main skill and Resists are modifiers, but it require move salvation on lower tier, also Resist auras placed on their ties, as it have equal mastery points investigation to unlock.
Same with phoenix strike: better if fist/claw/talon will be modifiers, but Phoenix is universal weapon skill while 3 other require swords or daggers (katars in original).
I currently (right now :)) rework dragon line (finishing moves) so 3 skills become WPS.
What about holy fire/freeze/shock, they currently balanced to compare with Veil of shadow and Aura of Censure, and i haven’t plans to rework it now.

In General i cooperate with Ram. He uses one of previous version of my mod as base. I also sent him mod source with unique items for future integation in RoT. But I dont work with RoT directly. If Ram consider some new implemention is good, i hope, he add it to RoT.

Hi Denis,
do you have any ETA for the updated version? Im clicking here every day waiting to see those changes mentioned above :slight_smile:

Hi. No, I have n’t ETA. Updates releases mainly depends on IRL busyness. I’ll try release made changes at end of week.

v0.8.4b

On request azazelcz, version 0.8.4b available with same link as previous (see 1st post).

Changelog:

Items
For all new D2 items loot tables mininmum level expanded up to -40 (You can find items up to 40 levels lower than you or enemy)

Paladin:
Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock autocasts - added % damage bonus
Aegis - renamed to Faith’s Reward
Zeal - reworked (yes, yes, one more time). Now it have 2 cascade autocast with up to 5 total targets.

Sorceress:
Lightning mastery - added missed Electrocut duration bonus

Barabarian:
Battle Rage - fixed skill tier

the last but not the least
Assassin:
Wake of Fire - trap’s skill template replaced to nova
Dragon Talon - reworked as WPS
Dragon Claw - reworked as Dual-wield WPS
Dragon Tail - reworked as WPS
Fist of Fire - missed autocast returned
Fist, Claws, Blades annd Phoenix Strike - on Death autocasts replaced with on Crit

v0.8.4c

Another update for Item Pack

Changelog:
Added Horadric Cube (Can be obtainet at Kory the Keeper any time (I’m tired of the Illusions)
Added Gems
Gems and Runes crafting moved to Cube

Download links see 1st post

Where is the download link? Please indicate clearly. Thank you!

he did …

Indeed. There is no new links since v0.8.4 or 0.8.4b, only updated archieves on cloud storages.

v0.8.4
Yandex.Disk or GoogleDrive

OK,My English is not good. There is no version mark on the 1st post. I think it is not the latest. :cry:

it is the latest (but yes, it has no version number)

I know this mod is part of the Reign of Terror mod, but is there any chance of it being added to Grimarillion as well?

There is non zero chance of mod being added to Grimarillion as well only if ASYLUM101 (as i know he makes Grimarillion) ask me the source.

Awesome mod! Thank you very much, enjoying it!

Is the a way to use these classes in different mods for example in omega or wadez? :slight_smile:

That would be even more awesome! :smiley:

Thanks.
Any merging of mods require repack both. I havn’t plans for that itself.

What is rogue/amazon default attack?

If You mean basic attack worked with WPS, there is:
Fire arrow
Cold arrow
Power strike
Jab

Have you thought of implementing a way for barbs to dual wield 2h swords? in the d3 mod they did a similar thing with all 2hs and crusaders where you use the blacksmith to turn the 2h into a 1h with a massive str req and then a crusader skill removed the req, I think that’d be dope, and it’d open up a lot more builds for the barb

I don’t planning that. The way when 2h items have respective 1h copies is very labor intensive. Create all copies, tune it, create blueprints, add to smith and also update with each patch… no.

I still hope to release per-FG patch, but can’t complete it.